Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10th Anniversary and Hero Pack 2 New Content
09-03-2017, 06:10 PM
RE: 10th Anniversary and Hero Pack 2 New Content
I'm just going to put this here in hopes that someone at Flying Frog reads these forums so they know there is a demand :-P

I will pay money for an upgrade pack.

It doesn't have to contain the upgraded tokens or any of the bonus cosmetic material from the Anniversary Edition - I understand that will be a one time special thing and I'm cool with it - but I'd like to be able to at least has the new rules and game content (cards, scenario, heros).
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-03-2017, 11:41 PM
I would also buy an upgrade pack including the new Heroes, Scenario and cards. Quite gutted I don't have the full collection anymoreInsane19
09-04-2017, 01:05 AM (This post was last modified: 09-04-2017 01:07 AM by mqstout.)
At gencon, they were all, "But we went through and changed the wording on so many of the old cards for clarification and errata!" Don't care. Just give me an upgrade pack with the new stuff.

Dominion recently did that, calling it a 2nd edition. Upgrade pack ignored the cards touched for wording/errata, only added the cards that were new for the 2nd edition were in it. For that game, this is a limited-print-run item. LNOE can't do it that way since they say the 10th Anniversary is a limited-print-run and these characters/etc would truly be unavailable except to a lucky (profligate) few.

LNOE "10th Anniversary" upgrade pack: the new heroes, the new scenario, the new cards (don't seem to be many, by all counts), and the miniatures for the new heroes. MAYBE the rule book. (IMO, that should be a free download PDF to everyone.) It doesn't need the plastic fire/wound/spawn/gas markers (That I prefer the cardboard versions of anyway), and certainly not the truck.

And since they say the 'premium' 10th Anniversary edition is a limited edition, this pack would keep the game up going forward... Base game as before, and this pack is just an expansion. The "plastic bits" was a one-time-thing for the special limited edition.

The concept of exclusivity is total shit, no matter the source... store exclusives, Kickstarter exclusives, "limited edition" exclusives, exclusive preorder/direct-order exclusives... Exclusives just create bad feels and fracture the players.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-04-2017, 01:28 AM
I'm not a big fan of exclusives either, to be fair. I hope you guys are able to get the heroes/bonus cards relatively easily at some point.
09-08-2017, 06:28 PM
I definitely agree with being against exclusives in general.... but I actually have pretty much the opposite feeling as it relates to KickStarter. Personally, as somebody who has used KickStarter a lot in the past, and uses it here and there now, that is one of the biggest draws for me. I like when you can get stuff by being a KickStarter backer that you otherwise would not get. I would agree some companies can go overboard with it. *COUGH* Cool Mini Or Not! *COUGH*

That, I don't necessarily like because then if you happened to miss the KickStarter but are one of those peeps that like to have everything, you have a b**** of a time finding everything and can pay a pretty penny. However, if a KickStarter campaign doesn't include ANYTHING exclusive, it feels a little lame. Well, maybe not with smaller, lesser known projects where you really are helping somebody get off the ground who maybe couldn't have otherwise. But, for bigger, more well known games the really don't necessarily NEED KickStarter, it feels kind of like a jip if you aren't getting something exclusive. Otherwise, then why not just wait for the retail release? Heck, these days most times you don't even get your copy all that much before the retail release, and sometimes not even before it at all.
09-13-2017, 12:07 AM
More news from Gen Con: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4GsHhC1...e=youtu.be

Basically a definite no to an upgrade pack as they wouldn't know what to include and what to leave out from the 10th anniversary edition. Despite everyone asking them for the new characters separately.
09-13-2017, 12:01 PM (This post was last modified: 09-13-2017 12:01 PM by mqstout.)
(09-13-2017 12:07 AM)Capey Wrote:  Basically a definite no to an upgrade pack as they wouldn't know what to include and what to leave out from the 10th anniversary edition. Despite everyone asking them for the new characters separately.

That's the same rehearsed reply they gave me when I asked at GenCon. They clearly never thought about it.

It's pretty easy: An upgrade pack would include the characters/scenario, the miniatures for said heroes, and any hero/zombie cards that are entirely *new* (if any?). An upgrade pack wouldn't include wording-tweaking reprints of the HP/ZP (people have the originals; an upgrade pack wouldn't include them), or all the plastic bits (the cardboard ones work fine), or the unified rule book.

Sadly, this is a case of "it's not rocket surgery: it's just an excuse". Zombie24

The part that really makes it move from "bad decision" to "offensive", though, is that the 10th Anniversary Edition is a "limited edition", so only those select few players who buy it during its narrow window will be able to have the complete game. (And most of those people are those who AREN'T long-term fans of the game.)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-13-2017, 12:48 PM
I think it's worth considering this from the Frogs point of view for a moment.

I believe they are well aware at this point that they've pissed off many fans with this decision. But, if they hem-haw, back down, and change their position, they'll piss off at least many (but maybe not most) of the *other* fans who thought they were buying an exclusive (it was promised to them that it would be exclusive... and one would hope the company would keep their promises.)

So, I think the only solution they can follow in order to maintain damage control is something like this... They've gotta wait a bit, let the limited edition really be limited. Let it sell out. Then, they have to release either an LNoE Revised Edition that's different again yet from the 10th Anniversary Edition, but also happens to contain its own version of the new content, or release another product or two which overlap to approximate the AE content...; yet not physically or photographically identical to the Anniversary content. For example, they can ditch all the plastic fire, gas tokens, wound tokens, spawn tokens, and maybe even Betsy and the Truck, and they could release a variation of the same basic new cards but with alternate artwork. By doing something like this, they would be able to appease both groups by walking a middle line.

They could also start selling a Hero Mega Set 2, which happens to include the four Townsfolk miniatures (as well as TP and BITF minis which are missing from the current Mega Set) They could also choose to publish a version of the townsfolk hero placards along with the new scenario as part of a Web Exclusive PDF (And, I think they should release some form of the revised and unified rulebook online as a free PDF, anyway.)

We will know if they learned their lesson by how they behave from here on out. For instance, next year, when AToE hits its 10th Anniversary, if they have Anniversary products, but they are not Limited Edition, then that would be a sign that they know they made a mistake.

I would rather they keep their word about things, even though I did feel pressured into buying two sets instead of one due to the limited nature of it. (I bought two copies of Anniv. Edition, just so I would have one in reserve as a backup for components, and be able to have one copy of the miniatures unpainted... but I groaned in pain as I clicked checkout...)
09-15-2017, 12:50 AM
Honestly it's just ridiculous saying they wouldn't know where to draw the line....lol
As many have said as they have said themselves after they put out hero pack 1 people constantly ask for a hero pack 2 and 3.
So how about start there!
Since hero pack 2 is about to drop this leaves a perfect opportunity for them to release hero pack 3
Plus the new scenario.
Let me help out "new idea" Hero pack 3 - it should include the townsfolk + Betsy and the new scenario from 10 anniversary thus keeping both sets of fans happy and content.
New fans get new cards,fancy new rule book , fancy new plastic truck fire and the the elite status of having a limited edition game...
Old fans get what they desire New townsfolk and new scenario.
This allows the frog to save face with both parties and still show they care for and support old fans and the original game.
There problem solved everybody happy and they make money.
Maybe they should seriously consider the fans point of view.
09-15-2017, 09:28 AM
I like your solution.