Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10th Anniversary vs original
09-09-2021, 02:03 AM (This post was last modified: 09-09-2021 02:05 AM by mkrob89.)
10th Anniversary vs original
Hello!

I'm normally active on the LNoE threads but have been very interest in AToE!

I have never played and wanted to know if the 10th Anniversary edition is worth it, compared to the original.

Mainly cost is the determining factor me right now. I've seen anywhere from 70-100$ for the 10th Ann. Ed. But was able to find the original for 25$.

Would I be missing very much by jumping into the original, and passing on the 10th anniversary edition, for the time being?

Im in my head a little because I'd hate to buy either, and find out it's not really worth the extra money, or find out that im now 30$ in the hole and should've bought the 10th Ann edition.

I guess what I'm trying to ask is:
As a player who has never played the game before. Would I be okay with purchasing the original game? Or since I've never played/purchased the game before, should I just make the plunge and go big?

Thanks for any feedback!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-09-2021, 04:01 AM
RE: 10th Anniversary vs original
The 10th Anniversary ed. gives you Miniatures for Scenery,Villians & Town Elders plus which the Core Game does not have:

Other Differences from A Touch of Evil: The Supernatural Game are :

Reference Cards: The Curse of the Werewolf/Werewolf Hero and Game Round cards are the same. The Hero Turn has been rephrased and introduces a subtle limitation: investigating a Town Elder's secrets can only be done once per Hero turn now.
The Abandoned Keep deck is substantively the same. Two cards are added: Crypt Lantern and Devil in the Dark.
The Event deck is substantively the same except for two cards that got tweaked: I'll handle this has its Honor Fight Dice bonus reduced to the first fight round only, while Reassuring Speech is now removed from the game once its effect is concluded. Three cards are added: Clandestine Meeting (two copies) and Follow the Clues.
The Lair deck is the same except that each card text has been reworked. There are no substantive differences; the biggest change is the Marsh 2 card, which went from "Both you and the Villain are -1 Fight Dice during the Showdown." to "All Heroes and the Villain roll 1 fewer Fight Dice for the duration of this Showdown."
The Manor deck is substantively the same. Two cards are added: Dragging Chains and Haunting Spectre.
The Mystery deck is the same with minor tweaks. Cards such as Agents of Evil and "These roads aren't safe" have been rephrased to adapt themselves to Minion Chart rolls that don't place Enemies on the board. One card, Evil is on the move, has its effects changed completely. Three new cards are added: Guarded Secrets, Shadows in the Dark, and Spreading Fear.
The Olde Woods deck is unchanged except for the addition of two cards: Drifter's Journal and Unmarked Grave.
The Secrets deck likewise underwent minor rewrites, with "If revealed" becoming "When revealed" and "the Cooperative Game" becoming "the Cooperative/Team Play". The keyword background has been made red for "Evil" and green for "Pure", making them stand out more. Each Little Secret case is now part of the card header (e.g. Little Secrets becomes Little Secret - Drunkard). Hero of the People clarifies that the Town Elder joins the Hero as an Ally. Two cards (Selfless Martyr and Knows Too Much) have been overhauled and underwent substantive changes.
The Town Elders are unchanged except for Sophie (whose ability is now limited to once per turn), but all of the Evil Elders have had their abilities changed.
The Town Items are the same except for the Charmed Relic and Torch which have been subtly rephrased (this may make a difference in some cases).
The Windmill deck is substantively the same. Two cards are added: Dripping From above and Sickle.

So it depends the 10th has more Bling but otherwise isn't too much different from the Core Game.The cost as you have noted is a BIG factor especially if you
like the Game & wanted to go for the Expansions.

OD

Sighing like the night wind and sobbing like the rain,—
Wailing for the lost one that comes not again:
09-09-2021, 12:31 PM
Thanks Old Dwarf, for the in depth comparison! That is way more information than what I have been able to find anywhere else! I had zero clue about all the card additions, other than some Epic Villian stuff.

This definitely helps!

Thank you!
09-10-2021, 08:20 PM
I went ahead and purchased the original game! Cant wait for it to get here!
09-11-2021, 11:51 AM
(09-10-2021 08:20 PM)mkrob89 Wrote:  I went ahead and purchased the original game! Cant wait for it to get here!

Good Choice Watchmen02 It's a great Game especially for Fall.

OD

Sighing like the night wind and sobbing like the rain,—
Wailing for the lost one that comes not again:
09-17-2021, 05:25 PM
Good call. I have the original but I would have definitely have gone for the 10 Year anniversary edition if I were you. Enjoy! I love the gameZombie17
09-21-2021, 05:19 PM
If you like it enough to buy expansions you can probably just sell the core game and buy 10th anniversary. One of the great advantages to the 10th a edition is the ability to store it all in one spot
09-21-2021, 10:05 PM
I'm definitely enjoying it! Dont think I'm playing it correctly at times but, that's what learning is for! Only played the basic game. Gonna try advanced possibly this weekend if I have time!
09-22-2021, 12:56 AM (This post was last modified: 09-22-2021 12:57 AM by Raynor.)
(09-21-2021 10:05 PM)mkrob89 Wrote:  I'm definitely enjoying it! Dont think I'm playing it correctly at times but, that's what learning is for! Only played the basic game. Gonna try advanced possibly this weekend if I have time!

That's awesome! Its probably my favorite of all the Flying Frog games. Something about the unique theme and setting just always brings me back for more. $25 is also a great deal, so congrats on that.