Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
A Beginner's Guide to Painting Miniatures with VIDEOS for Layering and Drybrushing (Part 3 Highlighting)
03-24-2011, 04:02 PM (This post was last modified: 12-09-2012 04:34 AM by samuraitrev.)
A Beginner's Guide to Painting Miniatures with VIDEOS for Layering and Drybrushing (Part 3 Highlighting)
Ok so you've made it this far time to really bring those figures to life. (Or more dead for z's)

There are a few methods of highlighting one method is called-

'Drybrushing'
Here you need an old brush (You will ruin a new one very fast).
1) Dip your brush in a paint (brighter than your basic coat) and rub most of the paint off on a piece of kitchen roll/paper. Do this until you can't see any more paint on the paper.
2) Now rub your brush lightly across the section you want to paint. Very soon you will see if done correctly the raised part of the figure is highlighted picking up the new brighter colour.
This is demonstrated by the pictures below. This relatively fast technique particularly works well with hair or animal fur.
Watch my you tube video here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nByrBSvNBtY&feature=plcp

Layering
I showed you last article you can see the photos here http://www.thezombiegame.com/forums/Thre...-Evil-Dead

With this technique you gradually build up brighter colours on the raised parts of your figure. For example a face you would paint the base coat on areas such as the forehead , eyebrows, cheekbones, Nose and point of chin. The next brighter colour would be added in an even smaller area. The very ridges of the nose, eyebrows and points on the chin and cheekbones. It sounds pretty straight forward. But don't be fooled! If the colours are too dis-similar the result will just look like lines and the faces will look like clowns. You want to avoid big bulging eyes (unless you're painting Lovecraft's fishmen from Innsmouth) and trying to paint their lips red. Just go for natural blending. Use your base flesh coat as the first highlight then gradually mix in a brighter flesh colour into it or a small quantity of White. Now use this process on all parts of your figure.

Fabrics remember leave your shading in the crevices and build up your colours to the raised points usually folds where joints are (Shoulders, Elbows, Groin, Knees, Don't forget to highlight Edges Such as (Collars, Sleeve Ends, Trouser Ends.

Weapons For edged weapons build up the highlight to the cutting edge or sharp point if it's a spear. Less is more here.

All in all this method takes much longer than drybrushing but the results are worth it.

Watch my you tube video here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyqtGljO8co&feature=plcp

Stippling
Ok here we want to have an effect of dirt and grime that's accumulated over time. You could use this on the ends of cloaks. Man sized or Horse's legs or the bottom of buildings.
1)Here you can use an old brush wipe a fair bit off it (not too much) now you can have some fun! Just blob it onto the area in a totally random way. Here and there use a dark brown. Don't water down your paint here (for once, you want it to be lumpy).

2) Now Clean your brush and repeat with a lighter Brown. (I used Scorched Brown and Graveyard Earth) But any dark Brown and light Brown should do the trick. This now looks like some of the mud is drying out. In the Sun or inside where there's some heat etc. Check it out.

Here are my Finished Figures. I used all three of these techniques to show you. Dry Brushed all their hair and William's Coat. Stippling on William's Coat and Layering technique on everything else.

I hope you've enjoyed this article. I've enjoyed putting this together.

Questions and comments always welcome

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-24-2011, 10:25 PM
RE: A Beginner's Guide to Painting Miniatures (Part 3 Highlighting)
Very nice. I love how evenly your paint goes on! I have issues with the paint drying out as I'm applying it, which creates an undesirable brush texture.
03-25-2011, 01:35 AM
Jeez, you got William already AND painted?

You're a fiend man!

Great tutorial, excellent pics.

Zalgo....he comes.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-25-2011, 01:50 AM
Just more of the same from me...
Great tutorial, great pics.

Just say NO to 'house rules'.
03-25-2011, 10:04 AM
....I fell sillent in "AWE"...

I am the reason God stopped watching.
03-25-2011, 01:43 PM (This post was last modified: 04-09-2011 12:57 AM by samuraitrev.)
(03-24-2011 10:25 PM)SPARTAN VI Wrote:  Very nice. I love how evenly your paint goes on! I have issues with the paint drying out as I'm applying it, which creates an undesirable brush texture.

My advice is thin your paint down.
1) Using a pipette put less than a drop of water in your pallete. This can be done by letting a drop almost come out of the end and touching it on the palette/tile.

2) Take the biggest amount you can get onto your standard sized brush and mix it up this will give you a thinner paint.

Note. Coverage will be harder so you may need two coats especially over a Black undercoat but you will get a smooth finish which looks so much better than lumpy. Hope this helps fellow painter!
(03-25-2011 01:35 AM)supervike Wrote:  Jeez, you got William already AND painted?

You're a fiend man!

Great tutorial, excellent pics.

Thanks for the compliment! More breaking news I've emailed Hasslefree about a certain librarian he's sculpting. (I got a confession out of him at the Kelham Hall Show). When I get it it'll be on here and painted before you can say (not)Giles! In fact I've just this second checked my email and Sally replied saying she would nudge him. Then Kev emailed me saying 'consider me nudged' as always you guys get the news first!Watchmen02
(03-25-2011 01:50 AM)Ryuk Wrote:  Just more of the same from me...
Great tutorial, great pics.

Thank you for letting me know you like my work it makes a huge difference, Makes me wanna paint more. Wish there were more hours!
(03-25-2011 10:04 AM)Emp Wrote:  ....I fell sillent in "AWE"...

Cheers man! If I'm ever in Belgium we'll have a beer!
03-25-2011, 10:27 PM
I will hold you to that one Trev!
In fact, if you ever plan on visiting Belgium, let me know and we can meet up.
We have an awesome pub here just about 100m from my house and they have many different beers....mmmm.... Watchmen02

I am the reason God stopped watching.
04-07-2011, 05:46 PM (This post was last modified: 04-07-2011 05:47 PM by samuraitrev.)
Hi just an update as I found these while lurking around in Sarku's fortress when he was away ransacking another village.

These are character boards you can use with the (Not) Buffy, Willow and Spike Figures by Hasslefree Miniatures.

http://www.thezombiegame.com/gallery/thu...=16&page=5

http://www.thezombiegame.com/gallery/thu...=16&page=8

credit goes to cmocmo on bgg for Spike http://boardgamegeek.com/image/369524/la...ombie-game

I'm thinking I could use my Suzy (also by Hasslefree) as Cordelia Chase

http://www.thezombiegame.com/gallery/thu...=16&page=2

Just waiting for Kev to finish his (Not) Giles figure then looking forward to a Last night in Sunnydale Custom Scenario...
12-09-2012, 04:37 AM
RE: A Beginner's Guide to Painting Miniatures with VIDEOS for Layering and Drybrushing (Part 3 Highlighting)
I've added videos for Drybrushing and Layering highlighting techniques. Please subscribe, like and comment. I would be very grateful for any support with this new project.