Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
A Beginner's Guide to Painting Miniatures with 2 VIDEOS (Part 1 prep. and basic colours)
03-21-2011, 04:53 PM (This post was last modified: 12-08-2012 02:40 AM by samuraitrev.)
A Beginner's Guide to Painting Miniatures with 2 VIDEOS (Part 1 prep. and basic colours)
Hi here's a three part guide on how to have your wonderful miniatures fresh from the box. Right up to painted on your board game for you and your friends to enjoy. There will be some basic and advanced techniques in here too, but I'm going to help you out and give you various options along the way. Let's go!

Preparing your models to paint.

Stage 1 Equipment

You will need:-
Somewhere to paint with a good light source. Daylight is always the best. Failing that a mounted desk lamp fitted with a ultraviolet bulb (which mimics the light spectrum of daylight). Failing that a standard desk lamp and house light.

A brush and paints there are many on the market and I'm not going to list them all. I use Games Workshop's acrylic paints but other good companies such as Vallejo and Testors would do an excellent job too. If you're on a budget just buy one standard size brush and some basic paints. (Black, White, Red, Yellow, Blue, Green, Flesh, Metalic, Brown).

Water Pot any old pot will do fine. A palette an old plate or tile is perfect.

To get as and when you can:-

A Tool set such as files (round and flat) and a pair of clippers and craft knife and a pipette are good to have too. But these can be got later if you're on a budget.

Stage 2 Preparing the models for the basic coat

First of all if they're plastic take the figures to the sink and wash them in warm soapy water. This removes any grease/dust from production. This stage is important. Don't skip it.

Second trim each models's mould line down. This is called flash. It is left from the moulding prodution process. This can be removed with a craft knife and/or small files. This is important to remove because no matter how good your paint job is; if these aren't removed your figure will have unnatural lines running around them, or unwanted bits poking out. Watch my youtube video here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBi_DkIrR...e=youtu.be

Third mount your model(s) on something this can be an old paint pot or wine cork for a single model to a piece of thick card for a row of several. It's up to you when you start you could just paint the one or try several rows of figures assembly line style. The reason to paint the model mounted on something is so you have a good grip ensuring the figure isn't dropped and it's held steady for painting and that you aren't handling the figure. Rubbing off and smudging colours with your fingers as you go.

Forth. Undercoat your figure(s) Many painters when they first start miss most of these first stages. The one you really should never skip is this one. The paints need this Undercoat to adhere to the figure. Without Undercoating the colours will look poor and the paint will chip off in a very short amount of time. You can Undercoat your figures Black or White these Undercoats come in paint pot form for you to brush on or spray can form. Many painter's use either. I Undercoat my figures depending on the figure. If it's going to be a predominantly dark figure such as a Werewolf I'll spray it Black. If it's going to be mainly bright figure such as a Ghost it's going to be sprayed White.

Stage 3 The Basic Coat

Ok so now you're sitting comfortably your favorite Napalm Death playing in the background you can relax. The figures used are not important the techniques are key here and they can be used with any model. For ideas look at pictures on this website either in the gallery http://www.thezombiegame.com/gallery/ or on the models and painting section. http://www.thezombiegame.com/forums/Foru...s-Painting Or come up with your own colour painting schemes.

The models I've painted here have been painted from the inside out. In this order Flesh, Hair, Clothes inner (eg. t-shirts), Clothes outer (eg. jackets), Footwear, Weapons+Equpment+Straps.
Another technique would be to paint the large areas first such as the guy's trench coat.

Try to keep your hands steady and try not to overlap onto other ares of the model. If you make mistakes they can be tidied as you go or at the end of the basic coat stage.. Just be patient and keep at it. I promise by the time you've followed this guide you will be happy with your model.Watchmen02 The zombies Undercoated earlier will be seen again at the second part of this guide. Shading.

See my Base Coat video here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUzp-h6VM...e=youtu.be

Part 2 Here http://www.thezombiegame.com/forums/Thre...9#pid16859

Any questions/comments welcome

Attached File(s) Image(s)

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-22-2011, 07:16 AM
RE: A Beginner's Guide to Painting Miniatures (Part 1 prep. and basic colours)
WOW, you make this seem so fast and easy, I really need to take my time and read all your painting material. Thanks for posting this great information.
04-07-2011, 09:54 PM
Excellent, sir. You don't miss a trick. This is a very well-written list, and worth reading even if just for a refresh.
07-25-2011, 01:34 PM
Do you know if Tamiya colors are good for minis too (usually Tamiya is for scale models)?
07-25-2011, 02:19 PM
(07-25-2011 01:34 PM)Mr Yod Wrote:  Do you know if Tamiya colors are good for minis too (usually Tamiya is for scale models)?

Sorry Mr Yod I've never used them. If I were you I'd give them a try. There maybe some other guys on here who may have used them.
12-07-2012, 09:56 PM
RE: A Beginner's Guide to Painting Miniatures with VIDEO (Part 1 prep. and basic colours)
First video added (see post 1 after large blue text) please commentWatchmen02
12-08-2012, 02:42 AM (This post was last modified: 12-08-2012 02:45 AM by samuraitrev.)
RE: A Beginner's Guide to Painting Miniatures with 2 VIDEOS (Part 1 prep. and basic colours)
Second video added (see post 1 after 2nd large blue text) Base Coat guide. please comment Watchmen02
The shading and highlighting stage will be uploaded tomorrow.
12-10-2012, 10:02 AM
RE: A Beginner's Guide to Painting Miniatures with 2 VIDEOS (Part 1 prep. and basic colours)
I am digging the videos and really look forward to trying out my own hand at painting. Would love to have my heroes painted up. Keep up the awesome work.