Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
A Touch of Evil Android app
07-31-2012, 09:38 AM
RE: A Touch of Evil Android app
So, just out of curiosity, does your app address the Delion Dryad's advanced ability where she gets a boost every time the Shadow Track enters a new section, whether up or down?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-31-2012, 05:28 PM
(07-31-2012 09:38 AM)HikariStarshine Wrote:  So, just out of curiosity, does your app address the Delion Dryad's advanced ability where she gets a boost every time the Shadow Track enters a new section, whether up or down?
I hadn't fully committed to trying to automate Villain abilities such as her's pr the Scarecrow's "Feeds on Fear" just yet. But I don't think it would be tooooo difficult.

Mostly I'm worried about the very dumb ways I'm sure I've programmed most functions. I'm not a seasoned coder and while the app is rather simple to put together, there are some things that would probably be approached differently by someone more clever than I.

I'll try to explain my thought process a bit with the Shadow Track and the Dryad, it exists currently only as a single, basic number variable that starts at 20 and goes down or up when you tap or long-press. It's no smarter than that. So I'm trying to figure out how to incorporate these abilities so the functionality won't get broken when the Shadow Track might go up and down a few times. I can picture an instruction that says something like, "If Shadow Track=16, Then Wounds=(WoundsNumber+1)". And so on for the other sections in the track...that seems simple enough. But, it goes both ways, if the track moves away from darkness as well. And so I need to cover if the Shadow Track moves back to number 17...but I can't just copy that earlier instruction and say "If Shadow Track=17, Then Wounds=(WoundsNumber+1)" because that would affect her wounds on the way down the track, giving her an additional wound at 17 and 16. Does that make sense?

So rather than just working off of the existing Shadow Track variable, I think I'll need to add more variables to make it work, a "ShadowTrackSection" variable that goes from 1-4, to work in conjunction with these abilities, or some way that 'alerts' or 'announces' when a new section is entered where appropriate Villains would be 'listening' for this alert and adjust the stats accordingly.

I think it's certainly possible, and could be quite handy, it's just something that I'll need to stretch my brain a bit to get figured out elegantly and smartly.
08-01-2012, 07:44 PM
At long last, some news to share!

I got a very nice email from Jack Scott Hill this morning, he explained, as we all know, that this is a very busy time for them. Conventions plus their typical fall release schedule means a ton of work all at once. So that was why it took a couple weeks to get back to me.

The good news was that it wasn't a flat "no". They thought it was a cool idea but there are certainly some legal issues to consider. So they are going to contact me again after everything slows down in September.

Maybe I'm getting ahead of myself, but I think that's a good sign. If it was an impossibility, they would've just said no and we'd all move on. But it sounds like they want to make it work and see release. So everyone cross your fingers and we'll see what happens in a couple months.
08-02-2012, 08:03 PM
(08-01-2012 07:44 PM)JRSly Wrote:  At long last, some news to share!

I got a very nice email from Jack Scott Hill this morning, he explained, as we all know, that this is a very busy time for them. Conventions plus their typical fall release schedule means a ton of work all at once. So that was why it took a couple weeks to get back to me.

The good news was that it wasn't a flat "no". They thought it was a cool idea but there are certainly some legal issues to consider. So they are going to contact me again after everything slows down in September.

Maybe I'm getting ahead of myself, but I think that's a good sign. If it was an impossibility, they would've just said no and we'd all move on. But it sounds like they want to make it work and see release. So everyone cross your fingers and we'll see what happens in a couple months.

Thats great news! Im on the fence about switching from IOS to Android. If this gets ok'ed then Im sure you can guess what side of the fence Ill be falling on.

http://www.youtube.com/user/MythosGamer/videos
09-09-2012, 06:44 AM
Wow this looks really cool, I just hope it stays updated with the new info as it comes out. I am going to check it out right now.
09-09-2012, 08:35 PM
(09-09-2012 06:44 AM)LostLegolas Wrote:  Wow this looks really cool, I just hope it stays updated with the new info as it comes out. I am going to check it out right now.
I certainly have every intention of keeping it up to date! I want it to be comprehensive and cover all the bases so players won't have to make any compromises when they want to use the app. I'm not sure exactly how I'd do it at this point, but I'd even want to include the references for the Lost Ship and the Kraken, just so every instance where you'd have to reach over and grab a reference card can be handled by the app.

I think I might touch base again with Flying Frog this week if they don't contact me first. The convention craziness has probably calmed down by now and they'd be available to seriously consider and discuss releasing the app.
09-12-2012, 05:37 AM
Ooh... this makes me wish I had an android phone. Or that there was a proper android emu for Windows. :P
09-14-2012, 03:23 AM
(09-12-2012 05:37 AM)Varkias Wrote:  Ooh... this makes me wish I had an android phone. Or that there was a proper android emu for Windows. :P

Have you tried BlueStacks?