Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
A few ideas for custom characters
03-11-2013, 02:51 PM (This post was last modified: 03-11-2013 02:57 PM by Kevthenurse.)
A few ideas for custom characters
I think my friends and I are familiar enough with the game to experiment with custom characters, with an emphasis on melee abilities and I had a few ideas:

Father Merrin (from The Exorcist)
Holy Male (Last Night on Earth card won't work on him)
Start: Church
Frail Health (same life boxes as a student without the self heal ability)
Can't use guns
Ability: 'I cast you out!' on the roll of a 4+ (or 3+ if in possession of the Rosary...possession, get it? haha!) may cancel the effect of any card that results in a hero turning into a zombie. The hero player must be on the same or adjacent square (doesn't work through walls).

Jimbo the Civil War Reenactor
Strange Male
Start: Antique Shop
Ability: 'Bayonet Forward!' if moving 3 spaces in a straight line into a square occupied by a zombie may kill (or wound) the first zombie fought on a win. If other zombies are in that square they are fought as normal.
Handicap: 'Long Memories in the South' Bickering card may be played on Jimbo even if he is alone and he loses D3 turns--'blasted Lincoln lubbers!'
Always in Character: May only use the Hunting Rifle.

Randall the Amateur Martial Artist
Student Male (can give up a turn to heal himself)
Start: Gym
Ability: Base roll of three fight dice, wins on ties
Handicap: Klutz: if any of his fight dice are 1 he loses a hand weapon or loses the fight, hero's choice--may reroll as normal if a weapon or card grants the ability (i.e. welding torch, pitchfork, etc)
Overconfident: Won't leave a square occupied by a zombie, and won't use guns.

What do you experts think? Balanced? Imbalanced? Clear? Unclear? This is my first attempt at making characters so you won't hurt my feelings!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-11-2013, 05:51 PM (This post was last modified: 03-11-2013 06:46 PM by samuraitrev.)
RE: A few ideas for custom characters
(03-11-2013 02:51 PM)Kevthenurse Wrote:  FATHER MERRIN (from The Exorcist)

Holy - Male
START: CHURCH

Special Rules
HOLY MAN - May not use Guns and may not be the target of This Could Be Our Last Night on Earth.

'I CAST YOU OUT!' - On the roll of a 4+ (or 3+ if in possession of the Rosary) may cancel the effect of any card that results in a Hero turning into a Zombie. The Hero player must be on the same or adjacent square (doesn't work through walls).

(WOUNDED) (DEAD)

I've just changed the presentation to make things clearer. I hope that's cool. Can Father Merrin use his ability on himself? I found this unclear.
I like the character idea. He's quite weak from a tactical standpoint but a great character thematically.

(03-11-2013 02:51 PM)Kevthenurse Wrote:  JIMBO THE CIVIL WAR REENACTOR

Strange - Male
START: ANTIQUE SHOP

Special Rules
'BAYONET FORWARD!' - If moving 3 spaces in a straight line into a square occupied by a Zombie may kill (or wound) the first Zombie fought on a win. If other Zombies are in that square they are fought as normal.

'LONG MEMORIES IN THE SOUTH' - Bickering card may be played on Jimbo even if he is alone and he loses D3 turns--'blasted Lincoln lubbers!'

ALWAYS IN CHARACTER - May only use the Hunting Rifle.

How many wounds?
For 'Bayonet Forward' I think the Zombie should be wounded.
For Long Memories... I would lose the D3 loss of turns.
For Always... I would say something like. Jimbo will never Exchange (give away) the Hunting Rifle. That way you get the great theme without making the character almost useless. The chances of him getting the Hunting Rifle are really small.

(03-11-2013 02:51 PM)Kevthenurse Wrote:  RANDALL THE AMATEAR MARTIAL ARTIST

Student - Male
START: GYM

Special Rules
YOU THINK THAT'S AIR YOU'RE BREATHING? - Base roll of three fight dice, wins on ties.

KLUTZ - If any of his fight dice are 1 he loses a hand weapon or loses the fight, Hero's choice--may reroll as normal if a weapon or card grants the ability (i.e. Welding Torch, Pitchfork, etc)

OVER CONFIDENT - Won't leave a square occupied by a Zombie, and won't use Guns.

YOUTH - May give up a Move Action to Fully Heal.

(WOUND) (DEAD)

I put in the matrix quote for a laugh and because the rule needed a name. I like this character. I think the character will die fast.

I had an afternoon free and I thought I'd help with this project I hope you don't mind.
03-11-2013, 08:13 PM (This post was last modified: 03-11-2013 08:20 PM by Kevthenurse.)
RE: A few ideas for custom characters
Not at all, thanks!

I would give Jimbo standard adult # of wounds. Is that 3 or 2? I am not sure if the dead marker counts as a wound box <boggle>

I agree with losing the D3 turns in retrospect. Getting that card played on you for even one turn is bad enough. I originally wanted to word his rifle preference as something like "won't use modern guns' but it didn't sound right. And I suppose primitive revolvers existed in Civil War era...

That is a good question for Father Merrin. I hadn't thought of it, but I would guess no. I mean, how often have you seen a priest perform an exorcism on himself, right?

Good suggestions!