Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
A guide to Pinning
04-09-2011, 05:12 PM (This post was last modified: 04-09-2011 05:16 PM by samuraitrev.)
A guide to Pinning
Hi painters, modelers and those who are yet to paint their first figure. Well as that inviting deadite says in Evil Dead Join Us

Sometimes you'll get a model (like the one I've chosen) which just supergluing will not hold for long if you're wanting to use that model on the battlefield. A slight knock in transit or just someone picking it up will cause it to break. "Nooooooooooooo! A thousand curses!!" etc.

Pinning certain models will give them bones like Wolverine. Just follow this simple guide.

1) Get tooled up from left to right Round file, Flat File, Arm, Paper Clip, Body, Pin Vice, Craft knife.

2) Tidy up the model trim flashlines/mouldlines with craft knife and minifiles. If possible file down flat area you will get a stronger join when glued.

3) Now using your pin vice drill two holes one in the arm and one into the torso. Take it steady when drilling the arm you don't want to go all the way through!

4) Now cut a piece from a paper clip. This is guesswork say just under a centimeter. Now without glue test the fit putting the wire into the arm hole and pushing it into the torso if the wire's too big trim it down to fit.

5) Now you've got the wire to the right length glue it into the arm.

6) Now put glue ito the torso hole and the section of the model that will be fixed to the arm the flat bit.

7) Leave it a couple of minutes to dry and there you have it. A lance arm to bring down giants!

Comments/questions always welcome!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-09-2011, 06:09 PM
RE: A guide to Pinning
Thanks for this, Trev! I have a Horrorclix Cthulhu that needs a wing reattached; I'll be taking your advice on this one (though it's a bit larger than the figure shown here). Thanks!
04-11-2011, 05:19 AM (This post was last modified: 04-11-2011 05:24 AM by vikinglad.)
Looks easy enough when you do it. How do you make sure that the two pieces line up correctly? What I mean to ask is, how do you get the two holes drilled in the correct spots on the two pieces so that they line up perfectly?
04-11-2011, 05:19 AM (This post was last modified: 04-11-2011 05:24 AM by willco.)
Excellent! Good on you mate.

Sometimes I will score the *flat* parts that butt up against each other, so that the glue has more purchase. Seems to work well.

Also, after drilling the pin hole in one side, I usually put a small piece of blu tac on the figure, and then press the pieces together. When they come back apart, the blu tac has formed itself into a little nubbin that can be used to help determine the angle and spot of the second pin hole...this, I found, was my biggest issue with pinning (not lining the pin holes up correctly). It seems to have worked a trick. I mention it because someone out there might be as awful at this stuff as I am!

Cheers on another top shelf tutorial, sir.
04-11-2011, 09:39 AM (This post was last modified: 12-10-2011 06:27 PM by samuraitrev.)
Thanks for the extra tips Wilco. That's what these threads are for. Sharing ideas.
05-12-2011, 06:21 AM (This post was last modified: 05-12-2011 06:28 AM by vikinglad.)
Nice tutorial. I got that same Citadel pin vice this evening. It was much simpler than I expected. I eyeballed the two holes on Ash's chainsaw and arm, used a bit of paper clip, and super glued it up nice and strong. Elapsed time: aprox 5 minutes. Eezy Peezy.
Hey, I just realized that the chuck comes apart, and the collet is double-sided, so it can be used with larger bits. The back unscrews also, to reveal what I can only guess is a secret bit compartment? Pretty nifty gizmo.
05-12-2011, 03:47 PM
(05-12-2011 06:21 AM)vikinglad Wrote:  Nice tutorial. I got that same Citadel pin vice this evening. It was much simpler than I expected. I eyeballed the two holes on Ash's chainsaw and arm, used a bit of paper clip, and super glued it up nice and strong. Elapsed time: aprox 5 minutes. Eezy Peezy.
Hey, I just realized that the chuck comes apart, and the collet is double-sided, so it can be used with larger bits. The back unscrews also, to reveal what I can only guess is a secret bit compartment? Pretty nifty gizmo.

Glad the article helped and nice one for adding another string to your bow. No more figures dropping to bits now!
05-12-2011, 08:42 PM
For the real thrill seekers out there,screw the pin vice & use a power drill!
I use a very small bit & it works great,but I really don't recommend it,one slip
& you have problems.Oh safety goggles are a must.

OD

Sighing like the night wind and sobbing like the rain,—
Wailing for the lost one that comes not again:
05-12-2011, 10:44 PM
I was tempted to use a Dremel, but I read somewhere that you have to go slowly with these tiny bits because they overheat and get brittle. It was such a quick job, I am not sure it would have saved me much time this time. Maybe if I had an entire army to do.
05-13-2011, 07:00 AM
I use my dremel, no problem with that. Just put in on "VERY slow" Watchmen02

I am the reason God stopped watching.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user