Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
"A random building" vs. "Roll a random building"
05-23-2013, 07:30 PM
"A random building" vs. "Roll a random building"
I have noticed that some cards say to roll a random building, while as others just say to place something (or whatever it is you happen to be doing) in a random building.

Is this to be taken as the same thing? In other words, if it says a random building, should you roll for the building? Same as with Rachelle's start building, for example?

Or is that only if it specifically says to "ROLL a random building?" Because using the word "random" makes it sound like you aren't supposed to just pick a building, but then why doesn't it just say "roll a random building?"

Does anybody know for sure how you are meant to handle cases like that?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-23-2013, 07:50 PM (This post was last modified: 05-23-2013 08:02 PM by Bloated One.)
RE: "A random building" vs. "Roll a random building"
(05-23-2013 07:30 PM)StayPuft Wrote:  I have noticed that some cards say to roll a random building, while as others just say to place something (or whatever it is you happen to be doing) in a random building.

Is this to be taken as the same thing? In other words, if it says a random building, should you roll for the building? Same as with Rachelle's start building, for example?

Or is that only if it specifically says to "ROLL a random building?" Because using the word "random" makes it sound like you aren't supposed to just pick a building, but then why doesn't it just say "roll a random building?"

Does anybody know for sure how you are meant to handle cases like that?

Random building means it is up to the player to choose where the hero starts on the game board (they just do not have a predetermined starting building so you can just pick one). This most likely was done as it saved on text space and maintained symmetry on the hero card ("Choose any Building" vs. "Random Building").

All in all I think you could play this either way if you wanted. The game is fairly flexible in many ways and I do not neccessarily think you are wrong to play it whether you pick a building for the hero or roll for a random starting building for the player.

Roll for a random building means just that. Use the Last Night on Earth system of determining which building to use (per page 17 of the Last Night on Earth rulebook).

*sorry for all the edits, I am a hopeless perfectionist......*

Hope this helps.

"...there shall be a resurrection of the dead, both of the just and the unjust."
05-23-2013, 08:55 PM (This post was last modified: 05-23-2013 09:03 PM by samuraitrev.)
No offence Bloated One but you're incorrect on this occasion.
The very word random means 'done without choice'.
The only way a Hero could choose the building is if they rolled a 1 when rolling for their Start Location building. (my underlining)

Jason C. Hill posted...

Random Building
Whenever a 'Hero's Choice' or 'Zombies' Choice' is rolled for a Random Building, they may choose the specific Building itself. The building chosen must be eligable (it has the two or three 'random roll' numbers in the corner of the building). If something is being placed inside the building, like a New Spawning Pit, the specific space of that building is always chosen by the player who controls whatever is being placed.
http://boardgamegeek.com/article/1684761#1684761

When Zombies or Heroes get to 'Choose' the Random Building, they may pick any building on the entire board that they want (as long as it is a valid choice - a building that could normally be selected by 'rolling').
http://boardgamegeek.com/article/1753199#1753199

Hope this helps

P.S.
Random Building + Roll a Random Building = The same thing

P.P.S
Having a possible choice within (rolling for anything random) makes the word 'random' a misnomer. Although I think the FFP wordies have gone the right way 'Roll a Random Building with Possible Choices' doesn't have the same ring to it!
05-24-2013, 08:19 PM
Thanks to both of you. That is what I thought may be the case, because random, to me, means just that... random. It isn't random if you just choose. Since some cards say "Roll a random building" I don't know why they don't just all say that, then. Some of the cards just say "random building" instead of actually saying "Roll a random building." I'll have to take a look at the cards the next time they come into play. Maybe it was just a spacing issue. There may have already been a lot of text on the card.

As for Rachelle's start location, I don't know why they didn't just say "Roll a random building" instead to clear up confusion. I would think that probably could have fit. But, either way, good to know that is what you are meant to do.