Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Beware of Amazon
01-29-2013, 07:26 AM
Beware of Amazon
I'm sure most of you know this already, but lately I have noticed a trend on amazon of them GREATLY over marking their prices... I have been looking for my gaming supplies on there lately and one item in particular was some acrylic paint. I usually get the cheapo apple barrel paints cause I'm not that great at painting yet and have to redo a lot of the time. Apple barrel sells a 24 color set for about six dollars on their web store. Amazon sells the exact product for 13 bucks. I checked other products and noticed the same trend. These were all sold by amazon directly not through other companies selling their stock through an amazon storefront. So in closing just shop around and make sure your getting a good price when shopping with them.

I'm not dead. I'm electroencephalographically challenged...
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-29-2013, 08:24 AM
RE: Beware of Amazon
If I may.
Using cheap paints is not the best way in starting to paint, especialy for mini's. The quality of the paint itself is also very important. This is in my eyes a comon mistake people make.

Maybe you could buy just one color of the higher end paints (vallejo or games workshop) and try it out. Choose a color wich is used allot for starters.

Don't worry about starting over dude, the paints last almost forever. I have paints here that are almost 25 years old Zombie03

I am the reason God stopped watching.
01-29-2013, 01:02 PM
It's all about supply and demand on amazon some people see a item out of stock everywhere and they have the only one so they jack the prices up but when you are looking for something that is rarely out of stock and found about everywhere such as DvDs or video games sometimes even board games that's where I find the best prices
Find all posts by this user
01-29-2013, 01:31 PM
I've used them for years and found the prices and delivery times highly competitive with the stuff I've bought. I've never had anything go missing or get damaged by them either. You do make a good point though, it is always worth looking around to see how much you can save.
01-29-2013, 01:58 PM
Amazon is definitely a lot more hit or miss nowadays imo. It used to be easy to just go there and get whatever I needed knowing that I would be getting the cheapest prices I could get, or close to it at least. Its always smart to shop around though, especially online

"My mama always told me someday I'd be good at something. Who'd a guessed that something'd be zombie-killing?" -Tallahassee
01-29-2013, 02:22 PM
I noticed the trend during the holidays. It used to be that you could buy online for at least 10% less than in stores. Not any longer. Most of the stuff I saw was the exact same price or more, and cyber Monday was a joke. Things were more expensive that day then they were the week before.
01-30-2013, 04:40 AM
My friend who GM's our Shadowrun campaign ordered the Arsenal handbook from amazon and the sent him the German version.. Didn't figure it out till game night two weeks later.. It was listed as an English text... We had a ball trying to read it... I have had good transactions with them don't get me wrong, delivery has always been spot on, just seems lately there has been an increase in markup...

I'm not dead. I'm electroencephalographically challenged...
02-02-2013, 02:36 AM
Amazon is all about supply and demand that's what a free market does...it regulates its own prices based on appeal of the product and the need for people to have to have it
02-03-2013, 06:54 PM
While I have also noticed that some items are hit or miss, I can't deny the quality of customer service I have received from them. Almost every package I have ever ordered through them has arrived about 3 days sooner than expected. The one time that a package did not show up when expected, I simply called them and they sent out a brand new item for me, for not charge at all. Given the choice of buying from an unknown dealer or paying a few bucks more for amazon, I'll go amazon every time.

If you are reading this you are already too late...