Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
So, what projects are you guys working on for 2022?
01-06-2022, 01:59 PM (This post was last modified: 01-06-2022 01:59 PM by samuraitrev.)
So, what projects are you guys working on for 2022?
Hi all, for those of you who have been following my AToE painting project, you'll be aware about what I'm working on. What I want to know is, what have you guys got going on?
  • Do you plan to paint the minis from one of your favourite games?
  • Are you planning on getting a new game this year you've had your eye on for a while
  • Are you going to create custom scenarios, characters, villains or cards for your games?
  • Are you going to try painting minis for the first time?
  • Are you going to try and get through/sell off some of the pile of shame (mountain of plastic minis)
  • Are you going to play/learn a new game you haven't got around to yet?
There's just some ideas, I'd really like to hear what people are up to. I especially like to see your pictures of painted models.

Happy gaming folksZombie17
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-07-2022, 01:09 PM
RE: So, what projects are you guys working on for 2022?
Do you plan to paint the minis from one of your favourite games?- Yes Plan BUT we''ll see

Are you planning on getting a new game this year you've had your eye on for a while-I already picked up 3

Are you going to create custom scenarios, characters, villains or cards for your games?-No I stick to background Fluff

Are you going to try painting minis for the first time?-That ship sailed 40 years ago

Are you going to try and get through/sell off some of the pile of shame (mountain of plastic minis)-that hurts

Are you going to play/learn a new game you haven't got around to yet?-the 3 new Games I got this year.

I especially like to see your pictures of painted models.-so do I (keep them coming)

OD

Sighing like the night wind and sobbing like the rain,—
Wailing for the lost one that comes not again:
01-07-2022, 03:38 PM
Do you plan to paint the minis from one of your favourite games?
-No that's beyond my skillset/timeframe, but I DO love to see everyone else's painted minis. Maybe one day I'll pay someone to do it Zombie17
Are you planning on getting a new game this year you've had your eye on for a while
-Yes/No. Good gods I really want that Fortune and Glory, but good luck finding it for a reasonable price.
Are you going to create custom scenarios, characters, villains or cards for your games?
-As much as I possibly can. I think I enjoy making content more than I like playing the games.
Are you going to try painting minis for the first time?
-Have painted DND minis (Good ol lead. Hail Ral-Partha) in the past, but no longer. Not going to mess up my boardgames
Are you going to try and get through/sell off some of the pile of shame (mountain of plastic minis)
-Hell no. Collections are collections!
Are you going to play/learn a new game you haven't got around to yet?
-I've had ATOE and Something Wicked for literal YEARS now and have not played it yet. This Sunday is my Birthday and I plan on breaking it out and making my family play with me. (They enjoy LNOE)
01-08-2022, 02:34 PM
Great questions!

Yes! I'm currently working of finishing up the last unfinished bits of Project Elite, which I intially painted as a way to prep for tackling aToE. I tried a minimalist paint method that I wanted to use for Nemesis, but the vibe just doesn't match the rest of the set, so I'm having to redo a lot and experiment far more than I anticipated. I'll just say now that Red is a highly questionable base primer color... Don't think I'll ever do that again.

I also started working on Last Night on Earth to break up the pace, and that's been fun. Between LNoE and Zombicide I've got a lot of zombies to fill the time when I need a break from trying to exercise my creativity muscles. Not looking to treat this like a big project. For some reason, painting low stakes zombie hordes and humans with a defined color pallet is less stressful than complex looking alien bosses..

Nemesis should be arriving in a month or two, which is the next big project. I actually really like the Sundrop/Zenithal priming style they offered for the game and want to see if I can imitate it while adding some small details here and there to bring the minis to life Aaron Lovejoy did a Zenithal Priming tutorial over on the Flying frog YouTube channel, and it looks pretty straightforward, which was the only way I was able to convince myself to pass on Sundropping despite the cost

Those are my immediate plans for the year. Cthulu Death May Die is my next big project like A Touch of Evil, where I really don't want to screw anything up. No time line on when I'm going to tackle it though.

Are you planning on getting a new game this year you've had your eye on for a while

I'm actually pretty happy with my collection right now. Got some Kickstarter games coming in to keep me occupied.

Are you going to create custom scenarios, characters, villains or cards for your games?
Probably not.

Are you going to try and get through/sell off some of the pile of shame (mountain of plastic minis)
Yeah looking to split off about 1/3rd of my collection (about 15 games). 2021 was pretty eye opening year of gaming for me. I have a lot of old games I've found I just played out and don't need anymore as well as many new games I tried that I just need to let go and be thankful I got to try them.

Scythe and Viticulture top of the list. I was on a really good clip for playing games then my schedule changed up and these two have been sitting for 6 months untouched.
01-08-2022, 10:15 PM
I'm working on Fortune Hunters And Glory Hounds, an expansion for Fortune And Glory emphasizing aviation elements of the period. A lot of the inspiration comes from the Crimson Skies board and computer games but I'm also looking to material like real aviation history, Tales Of the Gold Monkey, Sky Pirates, High Road To China. even Tailspin. I'm using the minis from the WizKids clix game, making heroes and villains. An aspect of the expansion will be competitive with sky pirates versus air militia. I'll also have the fascist group Die Spinne from Crimson Skies: High Road To Revenge as a Vile Organization.

[Image: 271606301_7088519051165791_5282583116661...e=61DE4D21]

After we move I plan to get back into painting my pile of shame. Zombie17
07-23-2022, 03:07 PM (This post was last modified: 07-23-2022 03:10 PM by Raynor.)
(01-08-2022 02:34 PM)Raynor Wrote:  Great questions!

Yes! I'm currently working of finishing up the last unfinished bits of Project Elite, which I intially painted as a way to prep for tackling aToE. I tried a minimalist paint method that I wanted to use for Nemesis, but the vibe just doesn't match the rest of the set, so I'm having to redo a lot and experiment far more than I anticipated. I'll just say now that Red is a highly questionable base primer color... Don't think I'll ever do that again.

I also started working on Last Night on Earth to break up the pace, and that's been fun. Between LNoE and Zombicide I've got a lot of zombies to fill the time when I need a break from trying to exercise my creativity muscles. Not looking to treat this like a big project. For some reason, painting low stakes zombie hordes and humans with a defined color pallet is less stressful than complex looking alien bosses..

Nemesis should be arriving in a month or two, which is the next big project. I actually really like the Sundrop/Zenithal priming style they offered for the game and want to see if I can imitate it while adding some small details here and there to bring the minis to life Aaron Lovejoy did a Zenithal Priming tutorial over on the Flying frog YouTube channel, and it looks pretty straightforward, which was the only way I was able to convince myself to pass on Sundropping despite the cost

Those are my immediate plans for the year. Cthulu Death May Die is my next big project like A Touch of Evil, where I really don't want to screw anything up. No time line on when I'm going to tackle it though.

I'm actually pretty happy with my collection right now. Got some Kickstarter games coming in to keep me occupied.

Probably not.

Yeah looking to split off about 1/3rd of my collection (about 15 games). 2021 was pretty eye opening year of gaming for me. I have a lot of old games I've found I just played out and don't need anymore as well as many new games I tried that I just need to let go and be thankful I got to try them.

Scythe and Viticulture top of the list. I was on a really good clip for playing games then my schedule changed up and these two have been sitting for 6 months untouched.

An update on how the year's going so far.

I finished Project Elite! Quite happy with it. I tried a red base coat, to match the original Red color of the bosses, and it was a real struggle, but I'm all right with the final results. I do plan on trying to avoid that color as a base coat in the future though Zombie17

I ended up buying some "Speed Paints" and tried to test them on my Zombicide horde from 2E, but really didn't like it, and that ended up with me just painting the entire horde along with the Abominations. (The paints are solid and have great uses but I couldn't use them the way I was imagining) None of the heroes have been even primed yet, which is the opposite of how I usually approach this type of project. It's funny because Zombicide wasn't even remotely close to the top of my project list, but it sort of snuck in and I'm quite happy with it.

After that I did a quick run through the 10 heroines in Twisted Fables, which was enormously satisfying. The game used minis slightly scaled up from the usual 32mm size we see in a lot of games, and that proved to be incredibly rewarding to paint. Ironically though, I finished painting and promptly realized I am not sure I want to keep the game itself. It's been fun but I'm not a fan of deckbuilders, and even the great theme isn't enough to overcome the mechanics hurdle. Haven't sent it out the door yet, but we'll see.

I never made it to Scythe or Viticulture. Viticulture recently hit the purge shelf and passed on from my collection. I enjoy the occasional Euro, but I had to recognize despite the rave reviews, I just mainly want to play thematic games like A Touch of Evil. I held on to Scythe. Still hoping to make a push to get that to the table. The art and theme is still really cool. I did end up playing Calico, which we bought last Gen-Con, and we really really liked it. It's sticking around in the permanent collection. Great puzzle game with incredible production.

I think the big surprise for the year has been Middara. It's an expensive game, but a friend has it and I liked it enough to pick it up when it showed up for like 70% off in a local exchange group. We all got really sick this summer, starting with Covid and then a lot of other terrible crud, so we ended up using the fact that we both had this to start playing it long distance. We'd each set up, and then talk through our turns using a camera, when needed, to verify positioning. I don't think I would have ever justified buying it full price with the minimal exposure I'd had, but getting a chance to really dive into it has proven the game's really good.

It's kind of an odd one, feeling like a solid Dungeon Crawler mixed with a lightweight novel. The game has an anime art style with an incredibly vibrant color palette which has proven to be a ton of fun to paint. It's really far from my favorite type of game, but the experience has been among my favorite this year. The closest thing I have to it in my own collection is Shadows of Brimstone, what with Characters leveling and acquiring items over many sessions of play being a key factor in the fun. I just don't do many campaign games I guess. This one has proven a delight though.

Nemesis showed up. Haven't gotten a chance to paint it yet. Cthulu Death May Die continues to see more play than most of my game collection, and since paint project usually side line a game for a while, I've been loathe to start that process.

Hope the rest of you Zombies are enjoying the year so far! Here's to playing great games, and working through exciting projects for your table! Cheers!
07-23-2022, 06:29 PM (This post was last modified: 07-23-2022 06:30 PM by Old Dwarf.)
My "Mountain of Shame"(Sam's words not mine) continues to build.I did a 10mm project
in early 2020 that was extensive but nothing after that.I have paint block periods that can
last for months or years & the backlog is too big to ever complete in the time I have left
(Morbid but true).

I also don't like taking Games out of circulation to paint the figs & I still have Gears of War figs about
80% painted that have kept me from playing the Game for several years.

I'm playing a lot of Bladeborn now & am thinking about painting the figs. but I keep buying Warbands
so I now have 60+ figs to add to the backlog.

OD

Sighing like the night wind and sobbing like the rain,—
Wailing for the lost one that comes not again:
02-06-2023, 08:28 AM
After one of my mates picked up the 10th anniversary edition of LNoE recently, I said I'd make some 10th anniversary edition versions of our custom cards for fun - at least the semi balanced ones!!