Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
AToE vs Mansions of Madness
08-23-2012, 08:10 PM
AToE vs Mansions of Madness
I apologize if there is a thread or link in regards to this but...

Could someone who has played both games give me a Pros/Cons list of AToE vs Mansions of Madness?

I can only afford one. I will be playing with 5 people (incluing my 3 teen kids). My two girls seem a bit bored with LNoE as the combat is taking way too long and really drags the excitement of the game down.

Thanks.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-23-2012, 09:16 PM (This post was last modified: 08-23-2012 11:46 PM by mqstout.)
RE: AToE vs Mansions of Madness
ATOE: Better as a competitive game than a cooperative game.
MoM: Strictly a cooperative game.

ATOE: Decent chance of anyone winning.
MoM: (especially with expansions) the keeper wins, the heroes lose, most of the time unless they exploit a cheese tactic. ("For the Cthonic feel.")

ATOE: Colonial setting.
MoM: Early 20th Century setting.

ATOE: Easier to broaden the theme and feeling.
MoM: Fixed in the Cthonic.

ATOE: Far easier to mod/custom than MoM (except... fixed board)
MoM: Difficult to make custom cards (many double side cards and different card sizes) and each scenario requires a good bit of content -- but the board is itself made of modular pieces to lay out.

ATOE: The villain is scripted.
MoM: The villain is a player.

ATOE: Almost each time you search/interact, something happens.
MoM: A lot of search results will be "nothing of interest".

ATOE: Much broader cast of characters. Each character is quite varied.
MoM: Small cast of characters who seem to stagnate faster (depending on what items you get during play), despite each character having a few permutations.

ATOE takes a bit longer than MoM to play; though setting up MoM takes far longer.

Overall, I do like both. They do play quite differently though. MoM is frantic and usually requires you not to deviate from the path. ATOE builds tension over time and rewards exploration. I prefer ATOE.

(08-23-2012 08:10 PM)wisdomknight Wrote:  I can only afford one. I will be playing with 5 people (incluing my 3 teen kids). My two girls seem a bit bored with LNoE as the combat is taking way too long and really drags the excitement of the game down.

Combat in ATOE can take even longer than LNOE -- especially when battling the big bad. But each side is often rolling a whole handful of dice, which can be exhilarating. Combat in MoM is funky and uses a unified mechanic with other actions, but requires repeated card drawing. That said, combat is rarer in MoM. For many characters and scenarios, if you're needing combat, you're playing wrong.

As a side note, both games have strong female protagonists that might be good for the teenage girls.

How are your kids with reading and comprehension? MoM has a pretty strong component of that (verbal clues in the story blurbs) that's quite important to successful play. Depending on ages (you say only "teen"), MoM contains a bit more a mature content.

The rules, I would say, are easier and more straightforward in MoM than ATOE --if that is a concern.
08-23-2012, 09:50 PM
RE: AToE vs Mansions of Madness
Wow mqStout!
Thats very helpful and one hell of a comparison.

My kids are quite bright and love to figure things out.
I think less combat and more thinking might be better suited to us.

Not sure as I love customiztion possibilities as wll.