Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 4 Average
Alice's Hero Thread
02-20-2011, 04:04 AM (This post was last modified: 02-26-2011 09:06 AM by Alice.)
Alice's Hero Thread
*EDIT* Added a new hero, Patricia.

Yay! I finished my first hero. I figured I would start this thread to keep track of all my heroes to come.

The only thing I couldn't figure out is how to put shadows behind letters like I see on other hero cards. Can anyone help me out?

Ariel Whisperwood

Completely in love with the world of music, Ariel Whisperwood took up the violin at the age of 7. With dreams of becoming a world famous musician, she hopes to inspire the people around her. When she's not working at the local antique shop, Ariel can be found hidden away in the woods with the sound of soft violin music echoing through the trees.

Gary Meyers:

As a mysterious man of few words, Gary Meyers has been the origin of more than a few ghost stories. "Finish your vegetables or Old Man Meyers will get you in your sleep." After losing his wife and son several years ago in a freak car accident, he moved to Woodenvale in an attempt to put his past behind him. Gary welcomes death and longs for the day when he can be reunited with his family.

Alice Grey

A mysterious photographer with a taste for horror, Alice Grey is always getting herself into trouble. While hiking through the countryside, she spots a small town that would be perfect for some spooky night shots. Little does Alice know, the town of Woodenvale has mysteries of its own.

Patricia Holmes

As a seven-year old girl with two loving parents, Patricia Holmes lived a pretty carefree life in the small town of Woodenvale. That is, until the dead started coming back to life. While fleeing to the nearby city of Brideston, Patricia got separated from her parents. Will they ever come back for her? Or are they even still alive? With the town farm dog as her only friend, she waits for her family's return.

Attached File(s) Image(s)

[img]http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2011/044/a/b/ab57ead96545f9f083422696827cf192-d39i2v4.png[/img]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-20-2011, 04:26 AM
RE: Alice's Hero Thread
In Paint Shop Pro 9 I could tell you in a heartbeat how to add the shadows/outlining. In GIMP the best I can say is make the text in black and slightly larger than the size you want, then make the text again in the proper color a bit smaller than the black, then line them both up on top of each other. A bit harder to do than in PSP9, but not too bad. In PhotoShop... I'm clueless.

Nice Hero too. Been thinking of an undertaker myself. Every small town needs one. Kinda Iconic really.
Not too sure about the Suicidal ability though... Might want to restrict it to being usable only once... the way you have it worded it sounds like he can keep going on until he dies or kills the zombie... which with decent rolls will be a certainty in the end.
02-20-2011, 04:59 AM
Very nice first hero Alice. Have you thought about an adavnced ability for him? The undertaker is one that I didn't even think of, lol. Next time I start working heroes I will have to put him on a card. Thanks. Watchmen02

Mistrunner
Death is Only the Begining.
02-20-2011, 09:32 AM
Umm, that guy is wicked OP. WICKED OP. You give him any sort of weapon, and he wipes zombies like no one's business. I would make it so his ability only works while wounded.

Heroes get remembered. Legends never die.
02-20-2011, 12:49 PM
Hummm... that is an idea, how about this: If wounded, he can use this ability equal to the number of wounds he has? That might balance him out a bit...
02-20-2011, 01:03 PM
Alice you really should have asked permission before using my picture,besides I gave pipe smoking years ago.

Seriously I like it,it's about time us Seniors get some respect,however I agree with the comments that he could be
a tad over powered.I like GI suggestion.

Nice contribution.

OD

Sighing like the night wind and sobbing like the rain,—
Wailing for the lost one that comes not again:
02-20-2011, 03:04 PM
Great idea for a hero. I really like the pic you chose.

I asked about the shadowing behind the letters too, but never got an answer. I was going to try painting in some black on a layer just behind it, but I like GI's idea about making it slightly larger in black. Has anyone done the letter shadowing in GIMP that could help out?
02-20-2011, 03:41 PM (This post was last modified: 02-20-2011 03:49 PM by Alice.)
For the lettering shadows: I tried your suggestion of making larger letters in the background layer but unfortunately, it didn't line up properly. I ended up taking a fuzzy brush and going around each letter instead.

As for the ability: I modified it so he could only do it a couple times before killing himself and with a fixed bonus. Is 2 fight dice too much?

I updated the picture in the first post.

Thanks for all the feedback!

[img]http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2011/044/a/b/ab57ead96545f9f083422696827cf192-d39i2v4.png[/img]
02-20-2011, 03:58 PM
(02-20-2011 03:41 PM)Alice Wrote:  ... I ended up taking a fuzzy brush...

Good suggestion for the Gimp, I was thinking of just leaving the shadow off...

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v67/ddgdemon/Games/Brains_Moon2.jpg[/img]
02-20-2011, 05:32 PM (This post was last modified: 02-20-2011 05:36 PM by D153453D.)
(02-20-2011 03:04 PM)vikinglad Wrote:  Great idea for a hero. I really like the pic you chose.

I asked about the shadowing behind the letters too, but never got an answer. I was going to try painting in some black on a layer just behind it, but I like GI's idea about making it slightly larger in black. Has anyone done the letter shadowing in GIMP that could help out?

If there is no outer glow option for text. The simplest way would be to make a new layer under the text and paint some black in on a soft brush.

Also, you cold duplicate the text, and make it black as Gi said, said then place it underneath and add a blur to it which would create the feathering.

"From the shards of tattered dreams, I rose - unwilling... Tossed upon tides of pain that flowed and ebbed and left me searingly awake. And more revoltingly - alive..."