Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
The game and the expansions...
05-09-2009, 10:00 AM
The game and the expansions...
Hi all!

This thread is a small strategy/guideline thraed for the game and the expansions... Here goes:

Initial thoughts.
My first thoughts about the game is that it is incredibly thematic in a kind of zombie bmovie theme. That said, the base game introduces you to hours of game play, with different scenarios and heros and boards every time, each variation is game altering, and then of course you have the random elements of dice and cards. We played the base game, untill GH came out. As most posters say the Zombies won the game about 70% of the time, and then it turned. All of a sydden the heroes (and that is a very liberal use of the word hero) won the game 70% of the time. What the basic game taught us was that as a hero you have a steep learning curve, and then later as the zombies, you have to learn not just to shamble forward and attack with each and every zombie. At the end of our gaming spree with the base game the win was about 50/50.

Growing Hunger.
Growing hunger changed a lot of our strategies and the game itself dramatically. The zombie swarm rules made some of the scenarios incredibly hard for the heroes, while the hero starting cards rules made some scenarios too easy. We more or less agreed that you cannot choose more than 2 dots in hero starting cards, and that the zombies always chose which "extra" rules they would like to play with before the players get to chose, thereby enabling them to limit the players choices if they should feel like it. The cards from growing hunger did not, in our view, change the feel or effects of the game. Sure, garden shears are handy but so is bitten. As before GH, every third game or so, the heroes are able to create a Zombie Hunter, with the right cards such as bat, meat cleaver and Heroes rage, and as usual the zombies seems to be able to counter them after a few turns. All in all, GH made strategy a larger part of LNoE, and expanded the possibilities of the game.

The Expanded Soundtrack.
I got this from my gaming store on sale, I would have bought it regardlessly. The two cards are in my opinion, very, very necessary. First of all a guitar for Billy, making him a little more useful and a good weapon by any standard. Secondly a much welcomed movement card for the Zombies. This is the only thing that might hinder the zombies in the future expansions: Their limited movement cards. Every time we draw night that never ends it is used on Shamble for the zombies part. There is simply no better card for the zombies (combined with the multitude of fighting cards against the heroes).

Revenge of the Dead and Stock Up.
Well, Ive just ordered these, so no real analysis from me on these two. A nice thing though is the versatility of these cards, it seems that there are a few survival cards for the zombies (unstoppable and feels no pain), which I think is quite nice, and the run cards for the heroes, which can be game changing (I am actually one of the few who believes Billy to be a good character). Another thing I like is that only 1 out of ten Hero cards from the 2 expansions are a weapon (The hedgetrimmer).

That is it right now I think...

By the way, most of our games lasts about 2 hours plus... But we are normally a bunch of hardcore gamers, who like to plan and execute these plans perfectly...

And a question I forgot in my "Hi!" thread:
Do you prefer to play the Heroes or the Zombies? (I guess that people here prefer the Zombies...)

Cheerio,
A

Just Keep Repeating It...
[img=468x60]http://www.thezombiegame.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10169/normal_itsonlyamovieinvert.jpg[/img]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-09-2009, 12:31 PM
RE: The game and the expansions...
ST........ .Nice run down.

LNoE/GH is not our favorite FFP Game but when we play
we flip for the Zombies.Their sound effects are betterWatchmen02

OD

Sighing like the night wind and sobbing like the rain,—
Wailing for the lost one that comes not again:
05-16-2009, 05:01 PM
Have you played any of the web scenarios? In my opinion they're some of the best.
05-17-2009, 07:26 AM
I actually prefer to play Heroes, I just always get stuck as zombies.

The Most Unread Blog on the Internet. Ever.: http://mostunreadblogever.blogspot.com
Roleplaying Game, Board Game and Card Game Reviews and Actual Plays
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-18-2009, 06:29 AM (This post was last modified: 05-18-2009 06:37 AM by SovTech.)
Yep, the web scenarios are really good. Ive only played We've Got ot Go Back twice though... Dont know why, but we always choose the scenarios randomly, except if we have new scenarios, and it just doesnt seem like it wants to be chosen...

A funny thing about the other web scenario is that it always is Principal Skinner that ends up being the ZM, again a random anomally or perhaps a hint of evil...

Watchmen02

What the best scenarios are I dont really know. I like playing the zombies, but at the same hand it is great running around as a hero. Ive only had one bad experience with this game, and that was playing as Sam at a stage of the game where I was to block the Zombies from getting to the Heroes.

I placed my self in the Hospital 2 squares away from the spawning point, and stood there for perhaps three rounds searching while the other heroes won the game. The Zombie player did not try to kill me but rather avoided me as I was equipped pretty well, and had all 4 wound markers. The thing is that we won the game because we played as a team, and partially because I just stood there blocking the Zombies without fighting them, but it was sort of a hollow victory for me, as I did nothing the last three rounds of the game...

Then again, it is my only bad experience with the game...

Oh... Wait a minute, I have another. I scared two players away from the game by playing two This could be our last night on earth consecutively on them, thus letting them loose two turns, and then ate them without them having a chance. They have never wanted to play again, which I now blame myself for (especially that I didnt let one of the new players be the zombies instead of me...). Well eating happens...

Cheerio,
ST

Just Keep Repeating It...
[img=468x60]http://www.thezombiegame.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10169/normal_itsonlyamovieinvert.jpg[/img]
06-25-2009, 05:56 AM
SovTech Wrote:Initial thoughts.

i really liked how you summed all this up. i agree with most of what you have said here. I find that at first the zombies win 3 to 1, and later it becomes 50/50. Depending on the scenario. We have been able to get to the truck twice, out of 3 games. Apocalypse is ruff, but even then, we are 40% winning as heros. Our Zombie (gamemaster roommate) is relentless, and has a kill or be killed strategy to teaching us. He also doesn't give up his chair as the zombies. he'll share it, but i've never played as zombie - yet.

SovTech Wrote:I scared two players away from the game by playing two This could be our last night on earth consecutively on them, thus letting them loose two turns, and then ate them without them having a chance. They have never wanted to play again, which I now blame myself for (especially that I didnt let one of the new players be the zombies instead of me...). Well eating happens...

my roommate is a zombie. I mean everything from all the movies, to all the board-games, and luckily, i live with him, so i don't have to be as much as a consumer myself. He introduced me to LNoE a week ago, and we have been playing every night. We don't seem to have anybody who doesn't at-least want to check it out, and after they get hooked, more people come over the next day, or the day after.

for a couple of guys who didn't know how to find people for gaming night, this one game has transformed our house into the GAME CASTLE. or "whatever GameCastle became afterwards" (which is what we call the store that my roommate buys his sleeves from).

tonight we take the game to another friends house. AND I NEVER TIRE OF IT! it's been something that is very unique in the way that it delivers it's rush. What we have tied it into is my bi-weekly horror film night, which adds quite nicely instead of a second movie.

The atmosphere is still there from the horror, and the laughs spill out as we run, chase and kill and are killed by zombies during our LNoE.

Anyways, that's all my time
~ Jiggs

[img]http://www.bdgamers.net/wp-content/uploads/2007/10/teenage-zombies.jpg[/img]
06-27-2009, 04:38 PM
Ryuk Wrote:
jiggskc Wrote:Our Zombie (gamemaster roommate) is relentless, and has a kill or be killed strategy to teaching us. He also doesn't give up his chair as the zombies.

So, I've heard of a Dungeon Master...
You guys have a .... Zombie Master?

If you have ever played All Flesh Must Be Eaten by Eden Studio's (the best Zombie RPG out there) then you are know as a Zombie Master.

http://www.allflesh.com/

"Dead is Dead. Parts is parts. Dead guys is parts."-Ripperjack.

"When There Is No More Room In Hell, Paul W.S. Anderson Films Walk The Earth."
06-27-2009, 07:34 PM
Ryuk Wrote:Couldn't get the link to work.
But I have heard of All Flesh Must Be Eaten.
But alas, My rpging days are over.

Weird cause it works for me. Did you click on the words? Maybe try this: http://www.allflesh.com/flesh.html

"Dead is Dead. Parts is parts. Dead guys is parts."-Ripperjack.

"When There Is No More Room In Hell, Paul W.S. Anderson Films Walk The Earth."
06-30-2009, 04:02 AM
All Flesh (the Unisystem) is a great roleplaying system, and works quite well for modern horror. Un-turn-off, Ryuk.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-15-2009, 01:03 AM
I decided to pick up Zombie Pillage as I had a little
left on my debit card after picking up SWTHC & the Hero Pack 1
for ATOE.

OD

Sighing like the night wind and sobbing like the rain,—
Wailing for the lost one that comes not again: