Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
LNOE on Maptools
08-22-2010, 07:39 AM
LNOE on Maptools
Not sure if anybody uses maptools, but its a program my friends and i use to play Dungeons and Dragons, seeing how some of us on here on the west coast and a few on the east coast. It allows us to role play online together using a map that everyone can see and use. Recently, said east coast friends came to visit, and we played some rounds of LNOE. Now, they went and got their own copy of the game, but still wanted to play with us. What better tool to use then maptools? The part we are still playtesting is the use of cards, which is obviously problematic when playing with people who are some distance away. But I figure id share this with everyone else, with any suggestions welcomed, of course.

[Image: 40265_101526703240384_100001491635974_10...6918_n.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-22-2010, 08:39 PM
RE: LNOE on Maptools
Where did you get all of the token images and all that? Could you share them? Watchmen02
08-23-2010, 06:23 AM
I used another tool cleverly called Token Tool, which allows you to create a token with any image that is currently on your screen now. The programs is on rptools.net. The pictures i ended up finding from this websites gallery, flying frogs gallery, and google. So you can see that some of the tokens aren't from the character cards, but from what i was able to find on the net (i lack a scanner at the moment). But here's a few of the tokens. If they are pratical files, i'll upload the rest for you and whoever wants them.

Attached File(s) Image(s)

08-23-2010, 06:51 AM
Wow, this project is so cool. I would be intrested to to get hold of a digital copy of this project. Zombie03 It looks so good. Watchmen02 Keep up the great work.
08-28-2010, 05:19 AM
Very cool.
09-03-2010, 07:11 AM
Yeah, that's pretty awesome.

Have you had any luck with sorting out how to use the cards?

The Most Unread Blog on the Internet. Ever.: http://mostunreadblogever.blogspot.com
Roleplaying Game, Board Game and Card Game Reviews and Actual Plays
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-03-2010, 05:29 PM
I've never heard of maptools, is it a free program?
That would be awsome for D&D!
09-03-2010, 11:49 PM
It is a free program. http://www.rptools.net. Be warned though, it doesn't come with a manual or anything, as its a fan made program. And the program is made to accomodate many different games, so there are perameters you have to go in and change for the appropriate game. I learned how to use it my fiddling around with it for a while, though there are tutorial videos and a forums that has lots of answers as well. And its really freakin awesome for DND, once you figure out all the little knick knacks and what not. Lots of fan made maps and tokens as well.

As for the cards, not yet. We came up with a system of our own using a bit of honesty, but its not very efficient. We are still working on some kind of program or way to get a pratical and efficient card system for peope playing online.
09-04-2010, 01:49 AM (This post was last modified: 09-04-2010 01:50 AM by Orguss.)
SONY PS EYE! THE WONDER INTERNET CARD PERIPHERAL..

For reals, you may want to use octagon for it though. I don't remember if you can minimize it, but you can make diff cards and draw, etc. A lot use it for online yugioh and mtg. Should be just fine for it. Don't know how encumbersome it would be to run 9 programs to LNOE online though
09-04-2010, 04:00 AM (This post was last modified: 09-04-2010 04:47 AM by TGChaplain.)
What is said octagon? Never heard of it. Website perhaps?
Never mind, found the site. Yikes. This would be perfect (maybe), but seeing how none of us are very literate with computers beyond the internet and computer games, this might be tricky. We'll start to look at it, but I can't imagine being able to figure this out any time soon.