Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Anybody else remember 2XL the toy robot?
08-20-2012, 09:27 PM
Anybody else remember 2XL the toy robot?
Did anybody else have the 2XL talking toy robot when they were young? There were two versions:

The older one:

[Image: 2-XL.jpg]

And the newer one from either the late 80's or early 90's (I forget which):

[Image: ka102h5.JPG]

I had the newer version which used casette tapes. I LOVED this little guy when I was young. He had four buttons that you could actually use to interact with him. He'd ask questions and you could answer. Some of his tapes were trivia.

He also had adventure tapes which basically wound up being like choose your own adventure stories. He even had X-Men, Batman, Spider-Man stories, etc.

I don't know how the heck this technology worked. I mean how can you have four different possible things played off of one casette tape? The whole thing could be radically different depending upon what you choose. To this day, I wish I still had the little guy and all the tapes I had for him. I still sometimes try to see if I can find him cheap on eBay.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-21-2012, 12:16 AM
RE: Anybody else remember 2XL the toy robot?
I've never seen these guys before but would have given my right arm for one. When I was a kid I made do with marbles and conkers. When it was my birthday I'd spend my money on an Action Force figure (AKA G.I. Joe in the USA)
08-21-2012, 07:47 PM
I've always loved interactive stuff, from the time I was very young. To me, that was always the coolest thing... a toy that could actually interact with you. When I was very young, it didn't get any cooler than Teddy Ruxpin. I even had a Teddy Ruxpin phone where he would actually talk to you.

[Image: il_fullxfull.282361227.jpg]

Granted, what he could say was very limited, but it was pretty cool. As you talked, he'd actually say "Uh huh" and stuff like that like he was listening on the other end of the phone.

Plus, sometimes he'd say "Well, I guess I should go," but if you kept talking, he'd still continue the conversation. LOL!

Anyway, so considering my love for interactive stuff, 2XL was definitely one of my favorite toys from my childhood.
08-22-2012, 03:11 AM (This post was last modified: 08-22-2012 03:12 AM by vikinglad.)
I remember desperately wanting a Teddy Ruxpin when I was little. I never got one. Insane19

I also remember the newer 2XL in stores, but by then, I was all about Nintendo games.
08-22-2012, 08:58 AM
I had a speak n spell. Other than that I was way into building toys...legos, lincoln logs...I also had these weird skyscrapers buiding set that was awesome. Then I got way into action figure, tmnt, xmen and batman mostly
08-22-2012, 07:22 PM
Viking,

I have to admit, as dorky as I may sound, I NEVER lost touch with my inner-child. Even when I was into Nintendo, Sege Genesis, stuff like that, I still had room in my life for stuff like 2XL. LOL!

For that matter, if I still had him today, I'd probably still pull him out from time to time now, just for old time's sake. LOL!

Jimbal,

I was actually never into building toys myself. I was always more about action figures, and stuff like that. But, I'm right there with you with the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Batman, and X-Men. ;-)