Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 4 Average
Alternate Co-op chart
11-18-2014, 11:56 AM
RE: Alternate Co-op chart
Fair point. They were the last ones I added, actually, as I'd run out of ideas. Can you suggest? Thanks for the reply, by the way!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-18-2014, 03:15 PM
Why the "Player X" ones? Make it rolled or determined somehow. It will generalize the boards more. And what if there aren't that many players?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-18-2014, 04:39 PM
This is why I'm asking for feedback here, to point out where I've gone wrong. I actually meant Hero X, not Player X, assuming that the Hero with the 1st player token was Player 1. I just didn't word it very well...
11-18-2014, 05:18 PM
Even still, With "Hero X" the question is the same -- what if there aren't that many heroes? Or there are more?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-18-2014, 05:56 PM
OK, edited to change those two concerns. Keep the ideas coming!
11-18-2014, 06:05 PM (This post was last modified: 11-18-2014 06:06 PM by ATOEtalGeek.)
For any of roll 5, 8, 10 that move the ST away from Darkness - I would prefer to have a test in order to do so. Something like: Choose a Hero to make an Honor 6+ test, if passed move the ST 1 (or 2) steps away from Darkness, else move ST 1 (or 2) steps toward Darkness. Then it's not a freebie but the players have a chance for control.

Also the rolls that move it 2 steps could include a bone for the Heroes such as 1 (or 2) Investigation each...or something good (maybe 1 or 2 Resolve on a TE) if it causes it to cross into a new stage.

Some other random ideas for titles and effects:
I Would Have Sworn It Was There! (Lingering Effect) - When starting the next Showdown the Heroes must discard their Lair card when at its location, and draw a new one. The Showdown takes place at the new location with the new Lair card text. If any Minions are at that space they join the Villain giving him +1 Combat and +1 Wound (remove the Minion from the board).

I Know What I Saw! - (Lingering Effect) - When starting the next Showdown the Heroes must discard their Lair card when at its location, and draw a new one. The Showdown takes place at the new location with the new Lair card text. If any Minions are at that space they immediately join the Villain giving him +1 Combat and +1 Wound (remove the Minion from the board).

Shifting Shadows - (Lingering Effect) - If any Minions are on the board at the start of the next Showdown they immediately join the Villain giving him +1 Combat and +1 Wound each (remove the Minion from the board).

It's A Chill Night - (Lingering Effect) - If any Minions are on the board at the start of the next Showdown they immediately join the Villain giving him +1 Combat and +1 Wound each (remove the Minion from the board).

Must Have Been the Wind - (Lingering Effect) - Each Hero must make a Cunning 5+ test. If failed the Hero may not Move during his next turn after rolling for Movement, and must Linger as normal.

I'm Telling You, It's Real! - (Lingering Effect) - Each Hero must make a Honor 5+ test. If failed the Hero may not Move during his next turn after rolling for Movement, and must Linger as normal.

Don't Like the Looks O' That Moon! - (Lingering Effect) - Each Hero must make a Spirit 5+ test. If failed the Hero may not Move during his next turn after rolling for Movement, and must Linger as normal.

Sssshhhh...I thought I heard a feetstep...
11-18-2014, 07:37 PM
So now we have this...

BOARD 2

2: STORM ROLLS IN: A freak, otherworldly storm rises, casting your carefully-written notes into the wind. Each hero loses all investigation tokens.
3: SAY HELLO TO MY LITTLE FRIEND: Roll once on the minion chart, ignoring any events, for a random location.
4: BIZARRE DISCOVERY IN THE FIELDS: Add D6 investigation tokens.
5: MILITIA PEP-TALK: Choose a Hero to make a Cunning 6+ test. If passed, move the track two steps AWAY from Darkness. If failed, move the track one step towards Darkness.
6: Elder on the move. Add the token of the elder with the highest cunning, and has at least one secret still to reveal, to a random location, and add two investigation tokens there also. This elder can only have his secrets discovered by visiting his location.
7: I'm Good, But I'm not That Good: Roll a D6. 1 = Event card for Player 1; 2-6 = Mystery Card.
8: Murder!
9: Minions move one space closer to town hall. Add D3 investigation to each space they vacate.
10: OMINOUS RUMBLINGS: Move the Track one step closer to Darkness.
11: SURPRISE!: All Heroes roll off. The lowest has to face one fight round with the Villain, gaining investigation for every wound inflicted.
12: MYSTERIOUS CHASM: Is it a sinkhole or a hellgate? Whichever it is, the result's the same. Close a random location permanently. If Town Hall, re-select.

BOARD 3:

2: DEATH BY CHICKEN BONE: The Town Elder with the lowest cunning chokes while feasting, dying immediately. Can be cancelled as if it were a Mystery card.
3: SURPRISE!: All Heroes roll off. The highest has to face one fight round with the Villain, gaining investigation for every wound inflicted.
4: ELDERS PREPARE: Add a total of two resolve tokens as you see fit to the Elders.
5: A CHILL NIGHT (Lingering Effect): If any Minions are on the board at the start of the next Showdown they immediately join the Villain giving him +1 Combat and +1 Wound each (remove the Minion from the board).
6: Minions move one space closer to town hall. Add one investigation to each space they vacate.
7: 1 minion appears at a random hero's location, and immediately attacks.
8: UPLIFTING SERMON: A moving speech rallies the town's determination to conquer evil. Move the track one step AWAY from Darkness.
9: STRANGE WRITINGS ON THE COVERED BRIDGE: Add three investigation tokens.
10: Murder!
11: Roll a D6. 1-2 = Event Card for player 1, 3-6 = Mystery Card.
12: IT'S HERE SOMEWHERE: Investigators lose their lair card. Is prevented if in possession of Map.

BOARD 4:

2: MYSTERIOUS CHASM: Is it a sinkhole or a hellgate? Whichever it is, the result's the same. Close a random location permanently. If Town Hall, re-select.
3: A LITTLE PLANNING: Draw two Mystery cards, and choose one to put in play. The other is discarded.
4: Minions move two spaces closer to town hall. Add one investigation to each space they vacate.
5: PLAGUE!: Move the track three steps closer to darkness. This can be prevented by adding five wounds to the heroes in any distribution.
6: PROOF POSITIVE: Add 2d6 investigation tokens to a random location. Place a marker on this location. The cost for this Lair card, should it materialise, is free.
7: SURPRISE!: All Heroes rolloff. The lowest has to face one fight round with the Villain, gaining investigation for every wound inflicted.
8: FLESH-ROTTING DISEASE!: Move the track three steps closer to Darkness. This can be prevented by adding one wound to each hero. Any wounds added this way can NEVER be removed or cured.
9: ELDER ON THE MOVE: Add the elder with the highest honor, and has at least one secret still to reveal, to a random location, and add two investigation tokens there also. This elder can only have his secrets discovered by visiting his location.
10: Murder!
11: 1 minion appears at a random hero's location, and immediately attacks.
12: YOU WANT US TO DO WHAT?: Your reputation precedes you, and no allies will join in with what they see as your futile quest. Remove all Allies from the decks.

BOARD 5:

2: EVIL CACKLE: The villain gains +2 Combat.
3: 1 minion appears at a random hero's location, and immediately attacks.
4: MADMAN RAMBLES: The locals ignore him, but you're sure he's on to something. Add three investigation to a random location.
5: Murder!
6: ELDERS PREPARE: Add a total of two resolve tokens as you see fit to the Elders.
7: 2 minions appear at Hero 1's location, and immediately attack.
8: HALLOWEEN!: Move the track two steps closer to Darkness.
9: Minions move two spaces closer to town hall. Add one investigation to each space they vacate.
10: MIDSUMMER'S DAY: Choose a Hero to make an Honor 6+ test. If passed, move the track two steps AWAY from Darkness. If failed, move the track one step towards Darkness.
11: SHIFTING SHADOWS (Lingering Effect): If any Minions are on the board at the start of the next Showdown they immediately join the Villain giving him +1 Combat and +1 Wound each (remove the Minion from the board).
12: YOU WANT US TO DO WHAT? Your reputation precedes you, and no allies will join in with what they see as your futile quest. Remove all Allies from the decks.

BOARD 6:

2: BULLET SHORTAGE. Any guns must be discarded after their next use.
3: THE GANG'S ALL HERE: Add one of each type of the Villain's minions to Shadowbrook, no more than one per location.
4: ELDERS ON THE MOVE. Add the elder with the highest spirit, and has at least one secret still to reveal, to a random location, and add two investigation tokens there also. This elder can only have his secrets discovered by visiting his location.
5: Murder!
6: WHICH WAY IS UP?: Move investigation tokens from the location with the most to a location with the fewest, choosing a different board first.
7: I COULD HAVE SWORN IT WAS THERE! (Lingering Effect): When starting the next Showdown the Heroes must discard their Lair card when at its location, and draw a new one. The Showdown takes place at the new location with the new Lair card text. If any Minions are at that space they join the Villain giving him +1 Combat and +1 Wound (remove the Minion from the board).
8: A SENSE OF EVIL: Move the track one step closer to Darkness.
9: OVERHEARD WHISPERS: A seemingly innocuous conversation in a random location reveals D6 investigation tokens.
10: MILITARY MIGHT: Add one militia token to a random location and move the track one step AWAY from Darkness.
11: MUST’VE BEEN THE WIND (Lingering Effect): Each Hero must make a Cunning 5+ test. If failed the Hero may not Move during his next turn after rolling for Movement, and must Linger as normal.
12: VILLAIN GETS TOUGH: Villain can take two extra wounds.
11-19-2014, 04:57 PM
This actually is looking pretty cool and I can't wait till it's finished so I can try it out! It will add a lot of new twists to the game, no doubt.

Some notes:
Bullet Shortage (#6/2) could be labeled a Lingering Effect.

Perhaps "You Want Us To Do What?" can be a Lingering Effect to tone it down some. It could be from here out Allies are one use only. So, once you use or gain an Allies benefit then he must be discarded (removed from game if that's what you have in mind).

Can Heroes/Minions/Elders travel through Locations that are permanently closed? If an effect would have you do "something" at that random location, do you re-draw instead?

11-19-2014, 06:10 PM
(11-19-2014 04:57 PM)ATOEtalGeek Wrote:  This actually is looking pretty cool and I can't wait till it's finished so I can try it out! It will add a lot of new twists to the game, no doubt.

Some notes:
Bullet Shortage (#6/2) could be labeled a Lingering Effect.

Perhaps "You Want Us To Do What?" can be a Lingering Effect to tone it down some. It could be from here out Allies are one use only. So, once you use or gain an Allies benefit then he must be discarded (removed from game if that's what you have in mind).

Can Heroes/Minions/Elders travel through Locations that are permanently closed? If an effect would have you do "something" at that random location, do you re-draw instead?

Thanks! Let me see...

I'm happy to keep the bullet thing as it is. It's one roll out of 216, so I quite like the 'oh my goodness' element of it. I like the idea of allies being used once, though, so I'll re-write that one, but again I deliberately put that as a 1 in 216 chance.

Closed is closed, I'd say. No one can go through it, which is why I put the Town Hall as an exception. If you draw a Lair card, or have to do something there, you ignore the card. What do you think?
11-19-2014, 07:51 PM
(11-19-2014 06:10 PM)FruitEatingBear Wrote:  Closed is closed, I'd say. No one can go through it, which is why I put the Town Hall as an exception. If you draw a Lair card, or have to do something there, you ignore the card. What do you think?

I thought about that too - and one location where I think it can present a problem is the Crossroads. It would prevent travel between boards except through the secret passages.

That would be fine if it were temporary, like Blocked Road, but otherwise it could be a game breaker.

Also, if you simply ignore the draw (as opposed to re-draw) you may water down its affect on the rest of the board.