Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 4 Average
Alternate Co-op chart
11-12-2014, 07:14 PM
Alternate Co-op chart
I really like the 2-12 co-op chart introduced in Wicked, but it gets a bit samey after a few plays. I'd like to make five more charts similar to it, so you'd have one D6 to determine the chart and then 2D6 to find the result. My problem, though, is that I'm definitely not creative enough to come up with 55 new events.

Between us all, though, we could do it - couldn't we?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-12-2014, 08:00 PM
RE: Alternate Co-op chart
That's a bit many... Make one larger chart with how many you can come up with. There are 20 and 30 sided dice. Or roll one die for the first digit, a second die for the second digit (similar to how d%/d100 are done).
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-12-2014, 09:13 PM
My group was just discussing this the other night. We're actually getting a little fed up with numbers 10 and 11 where you roll-off to determine who stuff happens to. Those two seem to be time consuming for the little reward/impact they create.

We were talking about coming up with charts that were either specific to each Villain or at least specific to each board. Something like that. But I do like the idea of just having more events in play in general.

I'd love to brainstorm some new event ideas though. I'll start thinking on it.

In a related subject, we were also discussing how the game can drag into hours with more players or a large co-op, and how the Minion Chart can sometimes rarely come into play. The original D6 Mystery Phase chart had a 33% chance of making the Shadow Track move, a 33% chance of hitting the Minion Chart and a 33% chance of adding Investigation to the board. I think the Advanced Chart really waters down these aspects. I'd like to reclaim some of that balance.

Great topic! Thanks for posting.

Sssshhhh...I thought I heard a feetstep...
11-13-2014, 09:20 AM
Well, we could easily do that I think. There are 36 possibilities on 2d12, as any foo' know.

Roll - Chances
2 - 1
3 - 2
4 - 3
5 - 4
6 - 5
7 - 6
8 - 5
9 - 4
10 - 3
11 - 2
12 - 1

So if you group rolls of 4,9 and 6* together you get 12; group 10,5 and 8 you get 12; 2,3,7,11,12 and you get 12. I'd like to remove 2 and 12 to make them unusual occurrences, so you'd end up with:

12 Shadow Track
12 Minion Chart
10 Investigation
2 Unusual

Does that seem workable?

*I could just as easily have made it 4,5,6, but I like the idea that they're scattered over the chart a bit!
11-13-2014, 08:15 PM
Let me see if we are on the same page.

When you roll a 4, 9 or 6 - certain events may happen, but what they would all have in common is that the Shadow Track moves, for example. Or they might have the Minion Chart in common, depending on how we assign the events. Is that the basis for understanding?

11-13-2014, 08:47 PM
(11-13-2014 08:15 PM)ATOEtalGeek Wrote:  Let me see if we are on the same page.

When you roll a 4, 9 or 6 - certain events may happen, but what they would all have in common is that the Shadow Track moves, for example. Or they might have the Minion Chart in common, depending on how we assign the events. Is that the basis for understanding?

Yep, that's what I'm thinking. Rolling a 4, 9 or 6, for example, will all result in (let's say) the Shadow Track advancing. They'd have different flavour text, but they'd basically do the same thing. If we're to do more than one co-op chart, we could alternate numbers which would prevent you from knowing that a 6 is always bad.
11-13-2014, 10:36 PM (This post was last modified: 11-15-2014 07:13 PM by FruitEatingBear.)
OK, I'm just thinking out loud now, but here's what I've come up with so far. This is without any flavour text, but sort of groups things together. The first column is the original co-op chart, and then the next 5 columns are what we could fill things with, moving around as necessary. Let's see if I can paste a table...

OK, apparently I can't, so I've added a pdf instead. It's not totally filled in, and there's some shorthand there, and it'll look a TON better with flavour text, but hopefully you'll get the idea.

Any thoughts/contributions?
11-15-2014, 11:22 AM
It's coming along nicely. I've written the unusual ones now, and the Investigation ones. Will post more soon - and then I'll have to think about how to present it. Is there a template, I wonder, for the co-op chart?
11-15-2014, 07:13 PM (This post was last modified: 11-18-2014 05:55 PM by FruitEatingBear.)
Right, here's what I've come up with for a first draft. To remind you, rolls of 2 and 12 are obviously rare, so I've put unusual things there. Can you take a look and give me some feedback: For example, perhaps the tone of some of the results is wrong, or the penalties too harsh or lenient.

This might make it easier:

BOARD 2

2: STORM ROLLS IN: A freak, otherworldly storm rises, casting your carefully-written notes into the wind. Each hero loses all investigation tokens.
3: SAY HELLO TO MY LITTLE FRIEND: Roll once on the minion chart, ignoring any events, for a random location.
4: BIZARRE DISCOVERY IN THE FIELDS: Add D6 investigation tokens.
5: MILITIA READY FOR BATTLE! Move the track one step AWAY from Darkness
6: Elder on the move. Add the token of the elder with the highest cunning, and has at least one secret still to reveal, to a random location, and add two investigation tokens there also. This elder can only have his secrets discovered by visiting his location.
7: I'm Good, But I'm not That Good: Roll a D6. 1 = Event card for Player 1; 2-6 = Mystery Card.
8: Murder!
9: Minions move one space closer to town hall. Add D3 investigation to each space they vacate.
10: OMINOUS RUMBLINGS: Move the Track one step closer to Darkness.
11: SURPRISE!: All Heroes roll off. The lowest has to face one fight round with the Villain, gaining investigation for every wound inflicted.
12: MYSTERIOUS CHASM: Is it a sinkhole or a hellgate? Whichever it is, the result's the same. Close a random location permanently. If Town Hall, re-select.

BOARD 3:

2: DEATH BY CHICKEN BONE: The Town Elder with the lowest cunning chokes while feasting, dying immediately. Can be cancelled as if it were a Mystery card.
3: SURPRISE!: All Heroes roll off. The highest has to face one fight round with the Villain, gaining investigation for every wound inflicted.
4: ELDERS PREPARE: Add a total of two resolve tokens as you see fit to the Elders.
5: MILITIA COWARDICE: You overhear soldiers talking and understand they're about to disband. Move the track two steps closer to Darkness.
6: Minions move one space closer to town hall. Add one investigation to each space they vacate.
7: 1 minion appears at a random hero's location, and immediately attacks.
8: UPLIFTING SERMON: A moving rallies the town's determination to conquer evil. Move the track two steps AWAY from Darkness.
9: STRANGE WRITINGS ON THE COVERED BRIDGE: Add three investigation tokens.
10: Murder!
11: Roll a D6. 1-2 = Event Card for player 1, 3-6 = Mystery Card.
12: IT'S HERE SOMEWHERE: Investigators lose their lair card. Is prevented if in possession of Map.

BOARD 4:

2: MYSTERIOUS CHASM: Is it a sinkhole or a hellgate? Whichever it is, the result's the same. Close a random location permanently. If Town Hall, re-select.
3: A LITTLE PLANNING: Draw two Mystery cards, and choose one to put in play. The other is discarded.
4: Minions move two spaces closer to town hall. Add one investigation to each space they vacate.
5: PLAGUE!: Move the track three steps closer to darkness. This can be prevented by adding five wounds to the heroes in any distribution.
6: Proof Positive: Add 2d6 investigation tokens to a random location. Place a marker on this location. The cost for this Lair card, should it materialise, is free.
7: SURPRISE!: All Heroes rolloff. The lowest has to face one fight round with the Villain, gaining investigation for every wound inflicted.
8: FLESH-ROTTING DISEASE!: Move the track three steps closer to Darkness. This can be prevented by adding one wound to each hero. Any wounds added this way can NEVER be removed or cured.
9: ELDER ON THE MOVE: Add the elder with the highest honor, and has at least one secret still to reveal, to a random location, and add two investigation tokens there also. This elder can only have his secrets discovered by visiting his location.
10: Murder!
11: 1 minion appears at a random hero's location, and immediately attacks.
12: YOU WANT US TO DO WHAT?: Your reputation proceeds you, and no allies will join in with what they see as your futile quest. Remove all Allies from the decks.

BOARD 5:

2: EVIL CACKLE: The villain gains +2 Combat.
3: 1 minion appears at a random hero's location, and immediately attacks.
4: MADMAN RAMBLES: The locals ignore him, but you're sure he's on to something. Add three investigation to a random location.
5: Murder!
6: ELDERS PREPARE. Add a total of two resolve tokens as you see fit to the Elders.
7: 2 minions appear at Hero 1's location, and immediately attack.
8: HALLOWEEN!: Move the track two steps closer to Darkness.
9: Minions move two spaces closer to town hall. Add one investigation to each space they vacate.
10: MIDSUMMER'S DAY: Move the track two steps AWAY from Darkness.
11: WHO INVITED HIM?: The SPECTRAL HORSEMAN appears at a random location and makes his way to Town Hall. Any Hero he encounters must face one fight round, gaining investigation for any wound inflicted.
12: YOU WANT US TO DO WHAT? Your reputation proceeds you, and no allies will join in with what they see as your futile quest. Remove all Allies from the decks.

BOARD 6:

2: BULLET SHORTAGE. Any guns must be discarded after their next use.
3: THE GANG'S ALL HERE: Add one of each type of the Villain's minions to Shadowbrook, no more than one per location.
4: ELDERS ON THE MOVE. Add the elder with the highest spirit, and has at least one secret still to reveal, to a random location, and add two investigation tokens there also. This elder can only have his secrets discovered by visiting his location.
5: Murder!
6: WHICH WAY IS UP?: Move investigation tokens from the location with the most to a location with the fewest, choosing a different board first.
7: THE CALL OF THE WEREWOLF. Each Hero rolls a D6. On a 5 or 6, they are attacked and scratched by The WEREWOLF.
8: A SENSE OF EVIL: Move the track one step closer to Darkness.
9: OVERHEARD WHISPERS: A seemingly innocuous conversation in a random location reveals D6 investigation tokens.
10: MILITARY MIGHT: Add one militia token to a random location and move the track one step AWAY from Darkness.
11: SAY HELLO TO MY LITTLE FRIEND: Roll once on the minion chart, ignoring any events, for a random location.
12: VILLAIN GETS TOUGH: Villain can take two extra wounds.
11-17-2014, 09:23 PM
I haven't got through it in great detail yet, but one of the first things I noticed is - I think we want to keep interaction with the Minions as generic as possible. So instead of calling for a Ghost Soldiers for example, it should be a roll on the Minion chart. That way we get current Villain specific Minions into play. And I think it should be "work out the result" instead of just calling for a Minion. That way we get more of the Villain specific Minion Chart into play in general.

Nice work thus far!