Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Alternate Gun/Ammo Mechanics
01-03-2013, 10:28 PM
Alternate Gun/Ammo Mechanics
I dug this up on BGG, wondering if anyone ever tested this out or your thoughts on the matter. Kind of a neat idea, think it needs some tweaking

Quote:Revolver

Ammo Die: When the Revolver is played, roll 1D6 and place it on the Revolver card. The value on the die is the number of shots left before that Revolver is 'empty'.

Whenever the Revolver is fired, reduce the number on the die by one.

When the last shot is fired, do not discard the Revolver. Remove the Ammo Die; the Revolver is now 'empty' and may be reloaded using an Ammo card (see below).

Heroes may never discard the Revolver (this means you have to discard something else if you have more than 4 items).

Shotgun

This mechanic replaces the pump-action shotgun with a double-barreled version.

Ammo Die: When the Shotgun is revealed, roll 1D6. On 4+ place a die showing 2 on the Shotgun card, otherwise the value is 1. The value on this die is the number of shots left before that Shotgun is 'empty'.

Whenever the Shotgun is fired, reduce the number on the die by one. When the last shot is fired, do not discard the Shotgun. Remove the Ammo Die; the Shotgun is now 'empty' and may be reloaded using an Ammo card (see below).

Heroes may never discard the Shotgun (this means you have to discard something else if you have more than 4 items).

Ammo

Ammo may only be used on an 'empty' Gun (no Ammo Die on the card).

To use an Ammo card, the hero must give up a turn (no move/shoot/swap) and discard the Ammo card.

Roll and place a new Ammo Die for that Gun as if it was just played; follow any special instructions for that Gun's Ammo Die.

Notes

Resilient card: Instead of discarding the Gun, the Gun is now 'empty'. Roleplay this as if it took the entire magazine or both barrels to kill the zombie.

Sheriff Anderson: Instead of the Pick Up: Revolver ability, the sheriff may give up his entire turn and reload his Revolver when 'empty', as if he had an Ammo card. Note that he can only reload the Revolver with this ability.

Building Pick-Ups: Heroes may pick up a Gun from the hero discard pile and play it as normal using the rules above. Note that since heroes may never discard Guns, there will be less opportunity to pick up. This has the effect of reducing the attractiveness of the Hangar or Police Station, but makes the Gun Shop very desirable for Picking up Ammo cards.

Exchanging Guns: Guns may be freely exchanged. The Gun's ammo die stays on the card; don't re-roll for ammo when a Gun changes ownership.

Signal Flare: It's not a Gun (no "Gun" keyword or symbol) so none of these rules apply to it. Blast away from the Hangar as usual.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-04-2013, 02:44 PM
RE: Alternate Gun/Ammo Mechanics
This weakens guns quite a bit. What do they get out of it?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-04-2013, 03:04 PM
I think this would make it even more difficult for hero victories. Also with the expanded decks ammo cards are still pretty rare it would essentially make a gun useless after it runs out of shots. It would be discarded anyways due to the fact its taking up one of your two weapon spots and if you drew a hand weapon you would probably throw it aside to make room.
01-04-2013, 09:14 PM
It's a cool idea, but I personally like the guns they way they are in the game now. But, it does sound like it would be kind of neat. May be cool to at least try out once.
01-04-2013, 09:52 PM
I think it has some potential maybe for a specific scenario or something. It does suck having a gun run out the first time you try to use it though.. haha
03-10-2013, 10:28 PM
Older post, but I think I like this variant. Our zombie player's biggest complaint is that there are too many guns in the deck. Having a finite number of shots might even things out for the zombies. Now to get my hero partner to go along with it...
Would the card 'Resilient' work the same way?
03-10-2013, 11:00 PM
The idea of a hero walking around with possibility of 6 guaranteed kills with a revolver scares me as a zombie player, but the possibility of them walking around with 1 shot also makes me laugh. So I think there is balance to this and it is interesting but I've found nothing wrong with the current mechanic.
03-11-2013, 08:29 AM (This post was last modified: 03-11-2013 08:33 AM by friskers96.)
I can see where this looks good, but as a HP I want versatility with my weapons.. Sheriff Anderson would honestly ditch his revolver to get a shot gun. He would rather shoot his antique revolver cause he has a hard time missing with it. Now as a ZP, I like to drop cards on the heros to make them remove those guns from the discard pile. Yesterday, sheriff Anderson got his gun and forgot to load it three times in a row, 4th time wasting his search to get it he hit, then lost it again... Zeds then removed all revolvers from the discard pile, sheriff Anderson now very ineffective... I like the guns how they are. This might be a good start on a revision or custom scenario rule set, but right now it needs some refining. Also I think even though there is five shot in the gun, they shouldn't be guaranteed kills. A revolver should still roll a D6 to see if the hero is on target with the 4+ to hit. Effectively you still have a gun that won't hit if your just sucking on the dice. EVERYONE has had them days...

I'm not dead. I'm electroencephalographically challenged...
03-11-2013, 02:01 PM
(03-11-2013 08:29 AM)friskers96 Wrote:  I can see where this looks good, but as a HP I want versatility with my weapons.. Sheriff Anderson would honestly ditch his revolver to get a shot gun. He would rather shoot his antique revolver cause he has a hard time missing with it. Now as a ZP, I like to drop cards on the heros to make them remove those guns from the discard pile. Yesterday, sheriff Anderson got his gun and forgot to load it three times in a row, 4th time wasting his search to get it he hit, then lost it again... Zeds then removed all revolvers from the discard pile, sheriff Anderson now very ineffective... I like the guns how they are. This might be a good start on a revision or custom scenario rule set, but right now it needs some refining. Also I think even though there is five shot in the gun, they shouldn't be guaranteed kills. A revolver should still roll a D6 to see if the hero is on target with the 4+ to hit. Effectively you still have a gun that won't hit if your just sucking on the dice. EVERYONE has had them days...

Fair enough; Sheriff Anderson or Rachelle with Laying Down the Law are pretty unstoppable though. I don't know how many Resilient cards are in the zombie deck, but it seems disproportionate to the number of guns in the hero deck.

I will receive Survival of the Fittest in the mail hopefully sometime this week. I hear it is a real game changer. The person who plays zombies most of the time for us is starting to get frustrated with all of the guns, and to be fair, it isn't very fun for us to win all of the time. So I am looking forward to seeing what kind of cards will come with that expansion.

More to come!
03-11-2013, 04:14 PM
I need to shuffle better it sounds. Saturday nights game yielded 3 guns over 12 rounds, but a lot of dynamite was tossed around... Watchmen02

I'm not dead. I'm electroencephalographically challenged...