Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
An idea for a water based new scenario with new board bits!
03-11-2013, 08:56 PM (This post was last modified: 04-01-2013 09:07 PM by labrys.)
An idea for a water based new scenario with new board bits!
In progress! - Update: Print Downloads Below

A swarm of zombies is coming in from the mountains, into the little town of Floodinvale. Floodingvale is surrounded by impassable mountains, the only way out is across the lake.

Aim: Find the materials and tools to build a boat and get out the town across the lake.
You must get at lest two heroes to the truck across the lake before sundown (16 turns?).

Boats
Finding:
Start of game place random counters in each building, one will be for wood and one for tools. Throw D6 twice once for wood, once for tools. When matching counter found for wood put 4 wood counters in centre of room. When matching counter found for tools put tools counter in centre of room.. Counters can be immediately picked up, from any square in building or if moving into / out of / through building.
Wood counter either takes up 2 item spaces, or if hero would be over item carrying limit; causes move penalty (D3 for move instead of D6). Can be dropped at start of hero move on current square (or is dropped when hero killed). Wood counters (not being carried) are susceptible to fire rules. On a 5 or 6 is destroyed.
Also if using TP could axe and chop down a tree tile for 4 wood tiles in that square? 2 turns to chop (s wood tiles a turn?)

Making:
Need to have 1 wood and 1 tools and be on an OUTSIDE square adjacent to lake board (see build start green square below). Requires two individual turns without a zombie on your square tob be competed. Turn 1: a hero uses a complete turn (no move, no ranged weapons or exchanges), place a boat counter (upside down – grey side) in an adjacent lake square.
Turn 2: use a complete hero turn and flip boat counter right side up (coloured). On third turn you may enter boat (or another player can enter on end of 2nd turn). Boats can carry one person normally, or two people but then becomes “heavy loaded”

Moving:
Normal – D3 for row move, then throw d6 to see current/wind direction (move 1Sq in indicated direction).
Heavy load - 1sq for movement, then d6 for current/wind (1sq in indicated direction).

1 Zombie Choice
2 North (up)
3 East (right/forward)
4 South (Down)
5 West (left/back)
6 Hero Choice
[Image: compass.gif]

If current/wind move would take a hero off board it is ignored.

If you are on a square containing a zombie at the start of your move turn you can not peddle. (but current/wind still takes effect). Zombie will also automatically move with boat.

Notes:
Boats are susceptible to fire only when in square adjacent to a normal board.

A couple of Cards ideas:

Water bucket: Place 2 counters here. Can use a counter to douse a fire square (throw a D6 on 3+ fire goes out) or if inside a building can make a “puddle square”. Puddle counters can only be placed during move (same as gasoline - on a square, or adjacent square during movement). Once counters are removed bucket can be discarded, or kept (as an empty bucket). Can be filled up next to river or lake to refresh counters.
Bucket picked up from discard pile are considered empty. Only starts filled when drawn from hero deck.

Sand bucket: place 2 counters here. Can be used to smother a fire square (throw D6, on a 4+ puts fire out)

Water hose: used to push zombies back

Puddle tile: chance to slip for each character ending up in, starting or going through the square.

Cold shower: counters last night on earth or bickering cards.

Counters:
[Image: watertile.gif] Water Counter [x4] (for two buckets?)

[Image: woodtile.gif] Wood Counter [x4]

[Image: boattile.gif]Boat Counter (Complete) [x4]
[Image: boattile_grey.gif] Boat Counter (1 Turn) [other side]
[Image: boardl.gif] [Image: boardr.gif] lake board pieces (in two bots so they fit on two A4)

Board placement / Setup:
[Image: boardlayout2.jpg]
Still struggling on deciding this one. Trying to make it so it actually fits on peoples tables but leaves enough of a stretch to make the heroes have to work for it. Also thinking about making some spawn islands and other blockers in the lake. Was also thinking about separating the town with a small river that slows down zombies abnd heros as they wade though it, chance to get stuck or something.

Beginning Game:
Heroes start in any outside space in the first (most westerly) column (see green square in "Start" above). Randomly mix up the counters and roll random numbers for placing counters in the buildings. (1-3 for left boiard 4-6 for right half of board, then 1-3 for first L shape, 5-6 for second then roll for building. If an L shape is selected with only one building without a counter just place it in that building. If righ L shape is full (has a counter in each building) you don't have to roll to see which L shape, just use the emptier one. Rinse and repeat till all 8 counters are placed. Now roll a dice for the wood and one for the tool. These are the counters you need to find.

Also deciding about how many people fit in a boat, if one is paddling can he shoot too. If one is not paddling can he shoot twice?!
Is taken over allowed on a building where the counter has not been flipped?

lots more work to do before I can begin testing and turning it into printable pdf. Still just at spitball stage, some minor gfx made up.

Let me know what you think!

I bit the sheriff.. but I did not bite the deputy.

---------------------------------------------------
I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not so sure.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-12-2013, 11:27 PM
RE: An idea for a water based new scenario with new board bits!
I know that you are spit balling at this point and I think you have a really good idea. Have you seen the movie Zombie Lake? If not you may want to check it out for some ideas about story to go with your idea.
So, I thinking you may want to push the sun tracker out to 18 or maybe even 20 or your hero players are going to be extremely hard pressed to make it in time. The reason is it is going to take 2 turns to get the wood *I am sure there is a joke here*(Get in to the building then next turn search), 2 turns for the tools (same as wood), then 3 turns to make the boat and get in it to start the trip over to the other side of the lake. Then only 2 people per boat means that 2 boats have to be made at minimum. So if you have the heroes work in groups of 2 it is going to take at minimum 4 turns to get the boat up and running (this is not factoring in moving which will take time). But, I could be completely wrong.

Si Vis Pacem, para bellum.
Tulta munille
Find all posts by this user
03-13-2013, 12:32 AM (This post was last modified: 03-17-2013 01:34 AM by labrys.)
(03-12-2013 11:27 PM)fitzgrimm Wrote:  I know that you are spit balling at this point and I think you have a really good idea. Have you seen the movie Zombie Lake? If not you may want to check it out for some ideas about story to go with your idea.
So, I thinking you may want to push the sun tracker out to 18 or maybe even 20 or your hero players are going to be extremely hard pressed to make it in time. The reason is it is going to take 2 turns to get the wood *I am sure there is a joke here*(Get in to the building then next turn search), 2 turns for the tools (same as wood), then 3 turns to make the boat and get in it to start the trip over to the other side of the lake. Then only 2 people per boat means that 2 boats have to be made at minimum. So if you have the heroes work in groups of 2 it is going to take at minimum 4 turns to get the boat up and running (this is not factoring in moving which will take time). But, I could be completely wrong.

No not seen Zombie Lake , will have to get!

Ok I'll try it with 19 when I finish making it and see how it goes. I can always adjust if enough people think its too little. Also not sure how the wind will fair for them.. if they keep getting 2 sq forward 1 sq back lol.
Might have to make a new track if it takes too long! ;op Maybe a circular whirlpool one to keep with the theme.

Cheers for your thoughts!

[Image: ExtendedSunTrack.gif]

03-13-2013, 01:20 AM
I like the look of this labrys. I've got to hand it to you the quality of your scenarios and the board sections look great. Plus you have some cool, original ideas.
03-13-2013, 12:09 PM (This post was last modified: 03-13-2013 06:47 PM by labrys.)
(03-13-2013 01:20 AM)samuraitrev Wrote:  I like the look of this labrys. I've got to hand it to you the quality of your scenarios and the board sections look great. Plus you have some cool, original ideas.

wow high praise from the great samurai! always nice to get feedback, makes me feel appreciated. lots more to come! when I love a game I get obsessed by it, have to buy all the expansions, and then cant help but make a few of my own.

Always nice to here other peoples views, especially from people who have been playing a lot longer than I. Only got this last Christmas. I still play it at least once every week!
Collaboration always makes for better games, and this is a great community of people.

03-14-2013, 05:57 PM
(03-13-2013 12:09 PM)labrys Wrote:  
(03-13-2013 01:20 AM)samuraitrev Wrote:  I like the look of this labrys. I've got to hand it to you the quality of your scenarios and the board sections look great. Plus you have some cool, original ideas.

wow high praise from the great samurai! always nice to get feedback, makes me feel appreciated. lots more to come! when I love a game I get obsessed by it, have to buy all the expansions, and then cant help but make a few of my own.

Always nice to here other peoples views, especially from people who have been playing a lot longer than I. Only got this last Christmas. I still play it at least once every week!
Collaboration always makes for better games, and this is a great community of people.

When I finish playing the Timber Peak scenarios (after 5 more games). I will check through your threads and play every scenario you've made. I will give you feedback on each. It would be the least I could do for all the hard work you've put in. Thanks for adding so much to this community.Zombie17
03-20-2013, 12:42 AM (This post was last modified: 03-21-2013 07:13 PM by labrys.)
Ok.. Ive put upt the Board Tile prints here
and created an extended Suntrack up to 40 turns, 2 compasses (one upside down) to assist in directional dice rolls and some D2,D3,D4,D5,D6,D7,D8,D9, and D10 "spinners".
Just add cocktail stick!
[Image: Spinners.gif]

I'll do a printout of the rules once I have finalised them.

Ok got about 4 plays under my belt on this one.. once as heroes. This is a pretty intene game for the Heroes!

I Decided against autosapwn as it is clostrophobic enough with the narrow board.

I was playing it without heroes replenish, and that means if you lose more than two Heroes you Game Over due to the scenario needing two to get accross the river. This made it quite hard. Thinking about introducing this and see how it plays.

Also thinking about giving the heros some cards at the start, since they do not start in a building and thier intitial searches will be taken up turning the counters. Also the size of the board is quite small so they often have to move instaed of searching.

Heroles replenish, herso starting cards (2)

I played as heroes on this once and it took me 27 turns to get to the end. lost one guy pretty early on and the father ended up saving the day with some dynamite and casing his last wound on himself to cancel a zombie card letting the remaing two clear off on the boat (since one couldn't end up on the same square as another hero). Also the tools happend to be the last counter to turn over (had searched evey other building. Had it been obained earlier might have turned things around.

I am also thinking of adding a free door. Sometimes it can be a bit pinch-pointy!

Also a rule I have yet to announce.. the "Goats" made progress a little slower as people were afraid to go outside (even zombies) as losing a turn can be quite serious in this game.

[Warning: set phasers to cheese] So I was thinking of calling the Senario Goats on a Boat. In no way related to a pun on Snakes on a Plane. And I am not planning to create a hero charactor with any copywrite infringment whatsoever.
[Image: Saxon_sm.jpg][Image: Cigarettes_sm.jpg]

Goat Rules (in progrress):
[Image: Boardlayout2+.gif]
Place 4 goats in the 4 L shaped elbows (indicated with purple squares). At the end of the Zombie turn the zombies move.

If a goat is within 2 squares of any Zombie or Hero (in the outside as goats ignore buildings and cannot go on them), it will charge up to two squares towards the nearest character. If there are two different occupied squares within the same distance throw to determine. If there is more than one Character in a square you must roll to see which is hit. If they are all Heroes in that square the hero decides which is attacked.

Any character attacked, landing on, or going through a square with a Goat must roll a d6. On a 1-3 they are knocked down (place figure down to indicate). If they were attacked they lose their next go. If they moved into / through square they lose this go.

If there are no characters within range the goat will roll D6 and check the compass to see which direction they move 1 square in (same as current/wind effects for boat).

Only 1 Goat per pace allowed. If previously attacked and you start on a square with a goat you can move away as normal.

Goats are effected by fire with the same rule as Zombies (4 or 5 and are killed). Goats can be attacked with ranged weapons, but can not be attacked during fight stage. Cornfield effects goats same as zombies, after charging they must roll a 4 + to see if they can attack.

If a zombie starts on a square with a Goat (and was not knocked down) they can attempt to bite/infect Goat. On a 4+ the Goat becomes a Zombie goat, flip the counter. Zombie Goats are the same as normal goats in every way except they no longer target Zombies.

04-14-2013, 12:15 PM
Ok bit of a story, boxcover, and name too!

[Image: GOAB_splash.JPG]
Here in theWoodinvale's siter town of Floodinvale, the sound of dueling banjos can be heard floating accross Lake Booby-ka-ka, the sound of bleeting can also be heard from some pretty pissed off hydrophobic goats, just wating for you to be the butt of their joke. The small fishing town is surounded by inpassible mountains and the only way out is accross the lake. The Heroes must escape Floodingvale as ironically a flood of Zoombies is pouring in. They must fix a boat and travel over the lake to safety. They might have to get their feet wet. Time to go fishing for Zombies! (but brains dont stay on a hook very well!)