Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
An occasional lurker who decided to join up.
12-02-2009, 12:35 PM
RE: An occasional lurker who decided to join up.
fallensaviour Wrote:part of the zombie movie is everybody dies...

dude. I'd totally live. I rock like that. unless of course a tank pins me down....damn tanks.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-02-2009, 12:38 PM
You'll be fine as long as Chicago Ted is on your side.

....dang. I knew there was an awesome screenname I wasn't thinking of when I signed up.
Find all posts by this user
12-02-2009, 12:48 PM
Well this Intro post hit 2 pages quicklyWatchmen02 So Welcome,
I'm not that much into Zombies Movies either but
I'm ok with Zombies in general.

OD

Sighing like the night wind and sobbing like the rain,—
Wailing for the lost one that comes not again:
12-02-2009, 03:49 PM
RandomZombieFan Wrote:Why I don't care for most zombie movies, eh? Well, I guess it boils down to two things:

1: I like character development. Not enough zombie movies have it. In fact, Left 4 Dead has better developed characters than many zombie movies. All things considered, I find that a bit ironic.

2: I'm neutral to gratuitous blood and gore. I don't mind it, but it's not what I watch zombie movies for. A shame, really, because most zombies movies focus on it almost exclusively.

So, really, I suppose this technically boils down to one thing:

1: I watch zombie movies expecting something entirely different from what I usually get.

Truth be told, I like zombies, but I love seeing how people evolve to survive them.

Another obsession that I have that I feel hasn't lived up to its full potential would be roleplaying gamebooks. If you were old enough to be a nerd back in the '80s, you'll probably know what I'm talking about. These books were self-contained, solitaire adventure games, usually in a fantasy vein. Think of Choose Your Own Adventure mixed with Dungeons and Dragons. A few popular examples include Fighting Fantasy and Lone Wolf. The books were often ridiculously difficult (most had only one "good" ending) and usually had very little actual literary value. I love them anyway, if only for the potential they hold. Most of these books were popular before I was even born, so it's tough for me to get my hands on them, but generally, they all followed the same basic motions and never tried anything new, and that is also my problem with most zombie movies.

In short, what I'm trying to say is that I like it when people try new things. When they're writing movies or books or making games or any sort of art, I think that one of the worst things you can do is just go through the motions and make no effort to try something new in the process.

Here's an example of a zombie I genuinely liked: Fido. Zombies are treated as pets in an idyllic, 50s-style neighborhood. The premise alone kept me entertained through the whole movie. Was it a perfect movie? Not remotely. I honestly felt that the pace was always a little too slow, the movie went on for about 20 minutes too long and the tone at points was just a little bit too light for my taste...but I liked it, because it tried something new and gave its characters some personality. Even Fido, the eponymous pet zombie played by Billy Connolly, had some semblance of a personality.

That's all I want, really. Interesting characters and some innovative ideas. I find it depressing, but zombie movies don't often have these, and gamebooks, being out of style for at least a decade now, most likely never will.

tl;dr: I like innovation and good characterization, and most zombie movies don't have those. Also, gamebooks are cool.

Hi RZF. Oh my God! Now I'm going to show my age. I remember those books. I was hooked on them when I was a teenager. Every time I went to town I'd by a couple of them.
12-02-2009, 10:29 PM
Hmm... *Check Cym's location*

Oh, well that explains it. Watchmen02 Any teenage male who lived in Britain in the '80's at least tried a gamebook. I have thoroughly investigated this statement and found it to be absolutely undeniable. Zombie03 In all sincerity, I'm the youngest person I know who is interested in gamebooks, though I don't consider that a good thing. The obsession with them was mostly past by the time I was born, which is a bit depressing to me. I would have loved a chance to write a gamebook back when they were marketable. I'm still tempted to write one just for funsies, as there's still lots of possibilities in storytelling and mechanics that were never explored by any popular gamebooks.

Also, Old Dwarf, I'm glad that you understand my point of view, though I'm more than ok with zombies in general. Watchmen02
12-03-2009, 10:13 PM
LoL... Yep I was on the gamebooks too.

Welcome to TZG!

On the Z movie thing, I believe it is very different from movie to movie. Some movies try to emphasize the different ways the survivors react to the Zs. Some movies try to create an immense feeling of loneliness or hopelessness, some are political statements and some are tried out gore and violence. What differentiates the good from the bad, in my opinion are that the movies are able to do what they want to do. As long as an empty action flick doesnt try to be a meaningful discussion about life, but just wants to be empty entertainment it can be a great movie in my book Watchmen02

Cheerio,
ST

Just Keep Repeating It...
[img=468x60]http://www.thezombiegame.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10169/normal_itsonlyamovieinvert.jpg[/img]
12-04-2009, 11:02 PM
Welcome.
12-07-2009, 04:25 PM
I totally agree with your assessment about most 'zombie' movies.
I've never been a huge fan of them until more recently...

There are a few, that I feel break the mold however....

Night of the Living Dead: Not great character interaction, but really sets up the 'paranoid' feeling that I think is missing in many more modern zombie flicks.

Shawn of the Dead, great characters, tongue in cheek humor, but still with real thrills and fear.

Dawn of the Dead, the original and the 'remake'. Both focus on how people band together and fight...and ultimately change as people.

There may be a few more, but most of the others just fall into the 'goretastic' category. Some aren't even watchable.

A word about Video Games....Quite frankly, that is where all the most innovative character development, and the best storylines have been found. Video games, to me, are the new Hollywood. Whereas the movie industry seems content with just repackaging old glories, the Video Game industry is really pushing the envelope and making people take notice.

Zalgo....he comes.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-07-2009, 10:22 PM
Supervike...it doesn't make for much conversation, but I agree with pretty much everything you said. Your list of zombie movies is good, I agree with most of your statements about Hollywood, though I should also mention that I feel that a lot of modern novels are pretty mediocre too...the only real thing I can add is that I think that there's a lot of crap in the gaming world to match the new and innovative concepts, but that's a necessary evil for a successful industry.