Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Anne Marie question (Colonial Horror)
12-02-2015, 09:24 PM
Anne Marie question (Colonial Horror)
We got to play again over the holiday and the player who was Anne Marie posed a good question that I could neither support nor dispute from what's available in the rule books.

Anne Marie has:
Fast Learner – Once per turn you may Destroy a card from hand to acquire a Training card. Then roll the Omen Die. On the roll of skull, acquire a Dark Secret.

Her position was that she could acquire Dark Secrets without risk because she could destroy them from hand as her ability. Dark Secret says it must be the first card played from hand, but the character can seemingly use her ability prior to playing any cards.

I couldn't help but think this could not be what FFP intended, but also couldn't dispute it.

Any thoughts?

Sssshhhh...I thought I heard a feetstep...
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-04-2015, 11:56 PM (This post was last modified: 12-04-2015 11:58 PM by mqstout.)
RE: Anne Marie question (Colonial Horror)
My interpretation: when your turn starts, if you have any Dark Secrets, they must be played right away. Spirit, rather than RAW.

That aside: Plenty of cards let you draw another card. If you draw a Dark Secret, it must be your next play. Still risky.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-09-2015, 12:20 PM
RE: Anne Marie question (Colonial Horror)
I stumbled upon the answer to this in my umpteenth reading of the rule book, being convinced or at least hopeful I was overlooking something. There is a FAQ in the back of the book regarding Harlow Morgan's ability. The FAQ clarifies that his ability does not trump the requirement to play the Dark Secret card. It's a perfect 1 to 1 example of Anne Marie's ability. I felt completely satisfied in finding that.

Sssshhhh...I thought I heard a feetstep...
Find all posts by this user