Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Another thing I love about LNOE: Proper balance of complicated and simple. ;-)
02-11-2013, 09:34 PM
Another thing I love about LNOE: Proper balance of complicated and simple. ;-)
Another thread kind of sparked my thoughts on this topic. So, I thought I’d start a separate thread.

Last Night On Earth is what got me even more hardcore in to gaming. Since then, in addition to playing LNOE whenever I get a chance, I've been playing other games. For example, my gaming group buddies have brought others sometimes, as have the friends who introduced me to the game in the first place.

So, I've played a bunch of different games. Some of enjoyed, some not as much, but none have really hooked me in the same way, and to the same level that LNOE did. Part of that is because the game has the perfect blend of being both complicated and simple, if that makes sense. LOL!

On the one hand, it is complicated, because there are a lot of different rules, and a lot of different specific situations, variations to the rules in given situations, etc. Plus, you are always discovering new questions to clarify. On the other hand, it is overall rather simple. It doesn't take long to get the basic jist of the game and instantly have fun, even if you are still learning new things and making mistakes on the rules from time to time.

I've played some other games where, after somebody explained the rules, I practically had a headache due to all the confusion. And, I'm usually not the type of guy to get confused, so you can imagine these are some pretty complicated games. Often with games like that where the rules are THAT complicated, you wind up not having all that much fun the first time, because you are not understanding what the heck you are doing. To me, if my first impression of a game is “Well, I think I would probably enjoy that a lot more the second time, because I will more so understand what to do” then that is not the measure of a very good game. And, chances are I am not going to want to bother to play it a second time anyway.

That is one of those hard to explain things I LOVE about Last Night On Earth. It is complex and complicated enough to keep it interesting, fun, and new for a long time. However, at the same time, it is simple enough that you can pick it up right away and have fun without feeling like you have to spend the entire first game just learning how to play the game.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-12-2013, 12:56 AM
RE: Another thing I love about LNOE: Proper balance of complicated and simple. ;-)
I feel ya on that... Nicely put..

I'm not dead. I'm electroencephalographically challenged...
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-12-2013, 09:11 PM
RE: Another thing I love about LNOE: Proper balance of complicated and simple. ;-)
Thank you! ;-) And thank you for actually reading my novel! LOL! I swear, I don't mean to make my posts so darn long, and then I just get off on a tangent and can't get myself to stop.
Find all posts by this user