Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Any Settlers of Cattan fans?
01-06-2012, 10:19 PM
RE: Any Settlers of Cattan fans?
(01-03-2012 06:01 PM)soundguy Wrote:  more strategy and pvp than dice imho

Hows about Egizia, Power Grid, Belfort, Lancaster, or Homestead. Total stategy and very pvp. Yet no dice Watchmen02 I recently learned to play Eminant Domain, its a card game with no dice Watchmen02

I could finally have enough cards to build a City, the upgrade from a seetlement -or reverse that-, and on my turn roll a 7 with 8 cards in my hand. No, not once, usually twice a game. Some times more.

Anno 1503 is another sorta fun game, no trading, but still dependant on a die roll for resources. Yes, i can roll a pirate for that as well. Not so much the fire, mainly the pirate.

Freak02 " Feed me your Flesh " Freak05
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-06-2012, 11:02 PM
i much prefer cooperative PVE type games. dice or not.. Watchmen02
01-30-2012, 03:03 PM
(07-26-2011 02:39 PM)Mekkakat Wrote:  My board game night friends and I picked up Arkham Horror and Settlers about 3 months ago, and maaaaan is Settlers a good time. Really fun!

Anyone else here dig it?

I've never actually played this game. I may try it if someone brings it up though. The kind of games I tend to like are: LNoE. IfOS, Arkham Horror, Elder Sign, etc.

I hate games like Puerto Rico, Shogun, etc.
01-30-2012, 03:34 PM
settlers is fun.. it's a resoruce game, and strategy.

if the dice are agaist you, you get no resources.. and if the people you play with don't trade ( they may not need to if they are getting the resources they need ), it can lead to a situation where you stagnate, and the guy with the lucky die rolls, or a good trade port can zoom past and win with little effort... that said.. I DO liek the game.. pretty fun.. mostly 'open' strategy as people can kind of see what direction you are going with victory ponts.. etc..
01-31-2012, 06:29 AM
I find it fun even if the dice are brutal, as long as you have an animated group. I played 3 nights ago and 5's were rolled a hilariously, ridiculous amount. One guy was totally screwed, but we all enjoyed is unlucky agony, himself included.

"From the shards of tattered dreams, I rose - unwilling... Tossed upon tides of pain that flowed and ebbed and left me searingly awake. And more revoltingly - alive..."
01-31-2012, 01:24 PM
Catan is indeed most fun with casual players. Cutthroat play just doesn't work well with it.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-23-2012, 07:39 PM
Seetlers is a good game... crazy but good... i think it lacks some differences between the players everyone being like the same civilization feels like some elements are missing... i'm looking forward for the star trek edition...
02-24-2012, 11:01 PM
one thing I don't like, is if the dice are against you.. you can have 3 palyers with tons of resources, and one guy getting nothieng turns ina row.. makes his civ wither...
07-15-2012, 07:58 PM
Totally a Catan fan. I have only played the original with the 6 person expansion. I am wondering what are good expansions to add (knights...). Also has anyone played the settle the US game board?
07-16-2012, 01:33 PM
i like all the expansions except stone age and space farrers..