Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Any fellow baldies with advice?
04-12-2013, 04:06 PM
RE: Any fellow baldies with advice?
Aveeno products is all we could wash both of our boys with for like 4 months after they were born. VERY gentle, never thought to check if they had other stuff, I associate them with baby stuff now like Johnson's.

I'm not dead. I'm electroencephalographically challenged...
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-12-2013, 04:21 PM
haha yeah i got some sensitive skin so this is gentle for my head lol.
Find all posts by this user
04-12-2013, 07:45 PM
Thank you to both fitzgrimm and alderdust for your input. You have both been a big help!

Alderdust,

I am a little concerned when you say the razors you picture below don't give you as close a shave. That is sort of part of my problem. I want it all the way gone when I shave. That is how I like it best. I think that is even part of the problem. As awesome as those Mach 3 blades are supposed to be, I can still feel stubble all over the place when I first finish, so I have to redo spots.

I want it to look and feel completely bald. Granted, the look part is more important, but when I can tell it still feels stubbly it grows back faster because it means I didn't get it all. Plus, I don't want to leave some patches completely smooth and others stubbly, or it could look really goofy and uneven.

I think I will try the blades you suggest next, though. Them being women's razors is actually a plus in my book, honestly, because they tend to be made for more sensitive skin, since women tend to shave a lot more places than men.

If I can get it down without nicking myself all the time, every other day sounds perfect to me. But, if I keep nicking myself each time, it is too hard to do that without risk of re-opening the scabs that are already there, or just making new nicks before the ones already there can even heal.

Funny enough, that is the EXACT shaving cream I use. The ex used it and suggested I try it since it is for sensitive skin, so it is what I have always used.

Funny that you mention using sunscreen too. Others have told me that... But considering I first did it in September of last year, the first thing I noticed was how cold it was. LOL! Not like I had all that much hair on top, but even so, it made a big difference.

Also, sorry to hear about your hair troubles. I started losing it around 18 or 19 as well. Has to be one of the cruelest things nature can do to a guy at such a young age. That is so unfair.

So, I said screw it, and enjoyed the hair I had for a while. People always act like balding people should just shave it all off and get it over with. Why should I only be allowed to have one option just because nature decided to take my hair?

But, now I felt the time was right, and most importantly, if felt right for me. As I said, I love it.
04-12-2013, 08:39 PM (This post was last modified: 04-12-2013 08:41 PM by alderdust.)
You will have to redo spots thats why you run your fingers in front with your other hand to feel for those spots so you dont have so many redos. It will look and feel completely smooth trust me i just feel the 5 blade gillette fusion makes it feel smoother for maybe a half a day longer but like i said they are expensive. It will completely gone with those razors pictured.
04-12-2013, 08:45 PM
55 gal. drum of Nair.... Or you could always get laser hair removal.. Watchmen02 I have never archived a perfect smooth finish, there is always a spot that felt smooth and then insta grab on the towel. I have a ton of cowlicks so the grain is also all over. I wonder if you can wax a head? Watchmen02

04-12-2013, 10:07 PM
I heard its not safe to wax head I've looked into that lol
04-13-2013, 08:23 AM
So Ive been shaving my head since I was 21 (11 years now) also because of the dreaded hair plague (cant blaim Wash&Go though ;D). My head took a while to get use to it (the skin becomes more resilient), but now its fine.

I use Gillette mach 3 (coincidentally didnt know it was THE razor to use), and do it every third day.

I do the following:
1. Use really hot water! (I live in Africa at the moment so I boil it). It helps on getting the hair to 'stand' easening the shaving, and it stops the razor from clogging.
2. Shaving foam.
3. I use the same head on the razor for about 1½ month, but then it gets dull. Dull razors = pulling out hair.
4. If the hair is longish, then trim it before shaving.

Hope it helps, Ive been bald for 9 years and loving it (except for the occasional sunburn).

Cheerio,
ST

Just Keep Repeating It...
[img=468x60]http://www.thezombiegame.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10169/normal_itsonlyamovieinvert.jpg[/img]
04-14-2013, 05:58 AM
I want some of those razors.. I've never had one last a month and a half... I must be doin something wrong... Or I'm just a sensitive sally

04-15-2013, 12:33 AM
I have found, over about the last 10 years, rather then using a razor, it is best to stick with a trimmer. The best one I have used I bought from an ethnic barber. It gets extremely close and never a nick like I get with razors. Our local walmarts here in Oklahoma carry a good one though i dont remember the brand. Its relatively cheap, about 30 bucks...and it lasts for years. Look for the box that says ethnic on it. If you absolutely feel you need a closer shave then that, I always found that the mach3 or those venus blades were the best as long as you sahve every 2-3 days.
04-15-2013, 08:32 PM
Thanks again, for all the help and advice, fellers. The barber I went to actually suggested hot water too. He said it opens the pours and makes you less likely to nick yourself. So, I tend to hop in the shower with the water nice and hot, do my normal shower all while keeping my head in the water as much as possible, then hop out and shave. Then, of course, I hop in the shower again just for a very quick rinse to get off all the loose hair and such.

I also always use my trimmer before shaving with the razor. That way, it is as short as possible when I go to actually shave.

SovTech,

Funny that you use the Mach 3 too. Like I said, that is what a lot of people seem to suggest. I just haven't had the greatest of luck with it.

Anyways, hopefully over time I will improve and the nicks will come less and less.