Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Good Beginner Games
01-10-2013, 10:22 AM
RE: Good Beginner Games
I moved country and I'd like to 'gamify' my new friends here, so I'm looking into the same thing trying to find some good gateway games.

Arkham Horror comes across as a bit heavy even for me, so I've been looking to buy Mansions of Madness instead. We've played Elder Sign and that went well, but as I understand it that's the lightest of the three and I'd like to step it up one notch. Anyone who's played AH and MoM, would MoM be a decent choice?

Carcassone is a simple game that hasn't been mentioned!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-11-2013, 07:46 AM
I recently got Star Fluxx, and based on that version Fluxx seems like a great card game and its simple enough to pick up. We have had so much fun playing this it is ridiculous...sure its not a board game, but hey its a game damnit.

The regulars are always great, like monopoly, life, or trivial pursuit. We played Elder sign for the first time this past sunday and really liked it(this one is not for simple set up and play though). LNOE isnt too bad for new players. Other than that...you can always find a copy of Hero Quest!
01-11-2013, 04:13 PM
i have zombie fluxx and can second that it is a great card game to play and so very simple to learn seeing as how you introduce most of the rules DURING gameplay.

as for Mansions of Madness i remember where me and my friends (most of which don't play board games) first played it, it is a good game for beginners because each Investigator (player) doesn't have to worry about much, and all the investigators tend to discuss and decide as a group what each person will do. great game as long as whoever is playing as the Keeper knows the game VERY WELL, and also helps if there is at least one investigator who also knows the game well (to avoid the keeper having to give away hints as to how to get themselves beaten)

and as everyone else has already said, definitely LNOE, my friends really enjoyed their first game, especially in the last 5 rounds or so when it got really climatic.

honestly i reckon just about any game that isn't too rule heavy is great for everyone AS LONG AS there is one player who knows the rules REALLY well to keep everyone informed and avoid slowing down the game to check the rule book. Nothing will put off new players worse than a gaming session filled with pauses for rule checks.
01-12-2013, 03:24 AM
I forgot about munchkin, the base game is pretty easy for new players and out is ludicrously fun