Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Anyone out there use special/theme dice?
06-11-2014, 03:31 PM
Anyone out there use special/theme dice?
I'm not a fan of tiny white dice, so I thought I would spice up the game a bit by getting new dice for the Heroes and the Zombies.

For the heroes I went with a larger 16mm blue die with white pips. Still pretty generic, but weighty enough to feel better than the original tiny whites.

For Johnny, I picked up 2 barrel dice shaped like footballs. I actually already had one, so I've got three of these now. I'm not the biggest fan of barrel dice, but thematically its awesome.

My wife rolls with crazy blue/purple 16mm vortex swirl dice with gold pips. She will share reluctantly, as she started with 12 dice but the couch has eaten 3 already.

I'm usually the zombies if I get my way, and I either roll with a set of gross yellowish green 16mm dice with black pips or I use 16mm white dice speckled with red with green pips.

I have some other misc dice from my years of gaming, and I encourage players to get their own from ebay.

Also, if you are in the market for a dice bag, this Etsy seller is top notch -> https://www.etsy.com/shop/MyFunkyCamelot...hop_search
She has a zombie bag that is rad, and some Cthulu bags that are double rad if you are into Eldrichy stuff.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-11-2014, 04:12 PM
RE: Anyone out there use special/theme dice?
While my dice are not themed, I did buy additional tiny dice in various colors (without looking, I believe I have orange, red, green, light blue, dark blue, black, purple, and yellow).

It is annoying that they are the same size as the dice that come with the game (when ordering them I mistakenly thought they were bigger), but it's still nice that each player gets to choose a color and we never get confused on who rolled what dice.

After players choose their color, I also give one of the original white dice to each player at the start of the game. When players use an item that require a breakage or ammo test, I have the player roll a white die with their assigned colored dice. The white die signifies the breakage or ammo roll. That way we know with one roll whether the item had success AND whether it broke or ran out of ammo in the process.
06-11-2014, 07:19 PM
(06-11-2014 04:12 PM)sgiove Wrote:  After players choose their color, I also give one of the original white dice to each player at the start of the game. When players use an item that require a breakage or ammo test, I have the player roll a white die with their assigned colored dice. The white die signifies the breakage or ammo roll. That way we know with one roll whether the item had success AND whether it broke or ran out of ammo in the process.

Cool. I like this idea a lot as a time saver. Great idea!

Sssshhhh...I thought I heard a feetstep...
06-11-2014, 10:56 PM
I added red dice w/black pips for Evil in ATOE & FanG. That way I can throw all the dice in a cup & roll for both sides at the same time in solo games. Zombie03

"If you had any sense, you'd leave now! Get out while ya still can! It's too late for th' rest'a us. The Horseman rides tonight, an' he's comin' to take us all ta Hell!"
06-13-2014, 01:20 AM
I got some red dice that are marbled with black and have yellow pips. They are "normal" sized dice.
06-13-2014, 04:34 PM (This post was last modified: 06-14-2014 01:58 PM by samuraitrev.)
This is something I really want to address. Maybe some green or red dice for the Zombies and I already have good old fasioned black and white dice for the heroes (black pips). I prefer the smaller dice with the rounded edges and corners. They roll better and don't knock everything everywhere or damage your board.
06-14-2014, 04:10 AM
(06-13-2014 04:34 PM)samuraitrev Wrote:  ... I prefer the smaller dice with the rounded edges and corners. They roll better and don't knock everything everywhere or damage your board.

That's a good point. We use the 12mm dice also and we have nice Chessex dice with rounded corners. The smaller dice are much easier to manage on a crowded table and board.

Sssshhhh...I thought I heard a feetstep...
06-16-2014, 01:32 PM
Sgiove, as a W40k gamer I automatically brought over practices from those lengthy sessions, using a variety of colored dice and have players multiroll to save time.

A favorite Combo is Red and Black for Weapons. Red is the Hit, Black is for Ammo/Break check.
06-29-2014, 02:52 PM
Got the white dice for my heroes - the ones that came with the game - and black dice of the same size for the zombies.
07-01-2014, 01:31 PM
I use Chessex 12mm dice. Similar size to original game dice, but rounded corners and larger pips.

Heroes:
- green/copper gemini with white pips.
- single red die with white pips for break and out of ammo rolls.

Zombies grey/white gemini with red pips.

* gemini is just what is on the label, but it can be described as the way two colours are swirled together (not the marble dice).

I don't suffer from insanity... I love every minute of it...