Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Arkham Horror 3E - The fight vs Cthulu
10-22-2021, 01:55 PM
Arkham Horror 3E - The fight vs Cthulu
Silly fun I had the other night. Not particularly Flying Frog related, but still in the monster Horror genre.

4th game against Cthulu. First time we won, but it was only my 2nd game and I didn't own the game and was playing with someone who knew what they were doing. It was the game that made me realize maybe my first experience wasn't a fluke as I had more fun with Cthulu than I did with Azathoth.

Anyway, 2nd and 3rd games were with my own copy and HOLY butts I lost, and lost HARD.

So I put it on hold and counted my earlier win as having experienced the scenario and moved on...

Until last night. Finally circled back around. This time with Agatha Crane and Michael McGlen. I honestly wasn't expecting much, but turn one I traded Agatha's special Camera item that utilized Remnants to Michael and he raked in the Remnants like no one's business as he mowed through Monsters and Cultists alike with his Tommy Gun, and later a Shotgun.

That wasn't all Michael did either. He was able to rake in the dough like the Gangster he is, and he passed a fat wad of cash to Granny Crane. The two might as well have owned the Arkham Cab service with how much jetting around the board to handle threats they did.

And I wasn't exactly unlucky either. Tons of gates opened all over the place. But is a Gate a problem to the Crane-McGlenn mafia family? No problem at all. With the Arkham Taxi service under their control, gates were regularly closed in 1 turn.

And WOW, Agatha's Scientific Method ability was able to pull in clues like she was a psychic homing missile.

Beat the game with 1 Doom on the Scenario Sheet. Cthulu didn't even get a toe into Arkham.

The scenario officially holds my records for quickest loss and cleanest win.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-22-2021, 03:13 PM
RE: Arkham Horror 3E - The fight vs Cthulu
Your a couple up on me, I've played twice & lost both times. I really need to get
this Game back on the table.Right now I'm playing the Egypt Mission from
The World of Smog:Rise of the Morloch & I want to get House on the Borderlands
going (it should be here in a couple of Days) so maybe mid-late November.

OD

Sighing like the night wind and sobbing like the rain,—
Wailing for the lost one that comes not again:
10-24-2021, 10:43 AM (This post was last modified: 10-24-2021 10:48 AM by Raynor.)
World of Smog looks really good. I haven't had a chance to try that one.

Love the theme but am not big on one vs many. LNoE gets a pass, but I try to avoid picking up new games with a structure I know I don't particularly like until I get a chance to play test.

Took me ages to order Nemesis for the same reason. Had a history of negative experiences with hidden traitor mechanisms and was dubious about whether it'd click for me prior to actually playing a few games.
10-24-2021, 12:27 PM
Actually Rise of the Morloch doesn't have to be a one v many it plays well as 1 v 1. It reminds me of Fortune & Glory the rules aren't difficult but there a lot of things
to keep track of.

I play Solo with just a couple of Home Rules , the Scenarios/Missions have clear objectives for both sides to win (or lose).

I posted up a Session Report of the 1st Chapter (Session) of the Game.
The Session Report combines the Gentlemen's Turns & the Nemesis's Turns
but in the actual Game you Activate a gentleman figure & then a Nemesis
figure.

OD

Sighing like the night wind and sobbing like the rain,—
Wailing for the lost one that comes not again: