Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Balancing original scenarios with new rules
01-05-2012, 02:30 AM
Balancing original scenarios with new rules
Hey guys,

I've been playing the original game a bit with friends and we've found that in our group the heros always lose (at least so far ...). We do have the Survival of the Fittest expansion and are gonna play that with the basic scenarios next time.

So the question is, how can we balance the game using the new rules? I've read about the dot system and find it to be a little confusing since there are no examples in the manual.

Would we just give the heros like 15 dots and zombies 10?

p.s. Take it easy on me, first post!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-05-2012, 03:17 AM (This post was last modified: 01-05-2012 03:18 AM by munkymuddface.)
RE: Balancing original scenarios with new rules
each side has a matching number of dots.
so say each side gets 6 Dots to spend, Heroes can spend those dots as they see fit, as can the zombies.

For example:
Heroes enable:
Heroes Replenish (2 dots)
Hero Starting Cards 1 (2 dots)
Barricades (2)

Zombies enable:
Zombies Auto Spawn (4)
Always Zombie Heroes (2)

- Or -
Heroes Replenish (2)
Hero Starting Cards 2 (4)

Zombie Grave Weapons (3)
Random Lights Out (1)
Random Taken Over (2)
01-05-2012, 06:52 AM
Yet if for some reason, your Heroes always lose, them giving them 1 or two extra dots is a simple balancing mechanism. I wouldn't go beyond 2-3 dots. The player who introduced me to the game tracks all wins/losses per scenario, and uses dots to balance scenarios that go badly for one particular side, and heroes will win almost anything with more than a few dots.

I think the game is biased in favor of the Heroes, if they work together and play very well. Good Zombie strategy is easier to figure out tho, so its not unusual for Zombie victories with starting players. It should turn around in time.

Well stocked buildings will help a lot (1 dot). While 1 extra starting hero card for each Hero makes a big difference.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-05-2012, 11:04 AM (This post was last modified: 01-05-2012 11:10 AM by qhorin.)
(01-05-2012 03:17 AM)munkymuddface Wrote:  each side has a matching number of dots.
so say each side gets 6 Dots to spend, Heroes can spend those dots as they see fit, as can the zombies.

For example:
Heroes enable:
Heroes Replenish (2 dots)
Hero Starting Cards 1 (2 dots)
Barricades (2)

Zombies enable:
Zombies Auto Spawn (4)
Always Zombie Heroes (2)

- Or -
Heroes Replenish (2)
Hero Starting Cards 2 (4)

Zombie Grave Weapons (3)
Random Lights Out (1)
Random Taken Over (2)

That's how I thought it worked. The explanation in SOTF isn't very detailed. Would it be better to start with adding Growing Hunger?

(01-05-2012 06:52 AM)Zinthos Wrote:  Yet if for some reason, your Heroes always lose, them giving them 1 or two extra dots is a simple balancing mechanism. I wouldn't go beyond 2-3 dots. The player who introduced me to the game tracks all wins/losses per scenario, and uses dots to balance scenarios that go badly for one particular side, and heroes will win almost anything with more than a few dots.

I think the game is biased in favor of the Heroes, if they work together and play very well. Good Zombie strategy is easier to figure out tho, so its not unusual for Zombie victories with starting players. It should turn around in time.

Well stocked buildings will help a lot (1 dot). While 1 extra starting hero card for each Hero makes a big difference.

Thanks! That's the answer I was looking for. It's true about the strategy, the heros are harder to figure out by far. However I do feel that is tone with the theme, of course it's harder to survive with a zombie horde on your tail than trying to munch on a few brains in the afterlife!