Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Base game vs Timber, new players
12-16-2013, 04:42 PM
RE: Base game vs Timber, new players
ditto that.. the base game is a great one to learn on and plenty of fun!

(12-15-2013 08:02 PM)mqstout Wrote:  If you're just starting with it, I find still the original base game the best. Why? Because it has a couple of the fewest-moving-parts scenarios and fewer tempting advanced rules to lure you into using them right away.

That said, TP does streamline the writing of the rules a little bit (and brings one of the previously-scenario-specific-and-often-mis-understood optional rules and make it part of every game). If you can't find LNOE easily enough, go for TP and just train yourself to hold back on the advanced elements longer.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-16-2013, 05:27 PM
The core game I think gives the best progression for hero and zombie players it will give you a means to up the difficulty as you learn the game. Also with the core game the the sheer number of heroes will add a much greater replay value. Between it being the kids fighting fore there lives or mixed parties. TP is a great addition to it with the leveling and the new environment of town tiles to be sure.

Survival is only the beginning.
12-16-2013, 05:34 PM
I suppose it kind of depends. In general, I must most definitely agree with the majority. The original base game allows you to get started with the game right away and still enjoy the heck out of it without instantly complicating things. You can definitely start with Timber Peak instead, but it honestly does have a few things that are a little more involved and confusing at first. Not only that, but many of the scenarios are a lot more involved.

The original base game's scenarios are all pretty simple and easy to pick up, while still being different enough from one another to be fun and keep you playing for a while.

If you would describe your group as being more so hardcore gamers, though, then it may not hurt to start with Timber Peak. I mean, personally I would still recommend starting with the original. However, if your group tends to play and enjoy very involved and complicated games without much of a learning curve, then maybe they'd enjoy the extra stuff more. Then, you could possibly eventually pick up the base game anyway as an add-on for what you already have.

So, I guess it does kind of depend on you and your group... Though, I still personally always recommend starting with the original.
12-16-2013, 08:59 PM
Ok, thanks guys. Base game it is then. My local store appears to have most of the expansions. Any suggestions there?
12-16-2013, 10:33 PM (This post was last modified: 12-16-2013 10:40 PM by ForestRunner.)
Good choice PB.

On top of what's been described in the thread about actual play, balance and learning... LNOE is told as a story, which can be related as to a B grade horror flick. The base game represents the beginning or chapter one if you like. TP represents the next chapter... there are even surving heroes from the base game that made it out of Woodinvale and into Timber Peak.

That's if you're interested in that kind of thing.

PS Holy cow, I nearly typed Shadowbrook instead of Woodinvale. Lol.

As for expansions, based on other threads many will say Growing Hunger, which is a "bigger box" expansion. As such you get more of everything... boards, heroes, scenarios and some additional rules. As an aside, the second big box assists with storage.

I did it a little differently and preferred to go with what has been chronologically released starting with the web exclusives and downloads. There's probably no real right or wrong if you get really into it and end up getting everything anyway (like me!). But Growing Hunger is a good bet for starters where you just can't lose...

Happy gaming.

I don't suffer from insanity... I love every minute of it...
12-16-2013, 10:42 PM
(12-16-2013 10:33 PM)ForestRunner Wrote:  PS Holy cow, I nearly typed Shadowbrook instead of Woodinvale. Lol.

Haha - nice! A true FFP'er.

Sssshhhh...I thought I heard a feetstep...