Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Bases and varnishing guide. With 4 VIDEOS
11-30-2010, 02:59 PM (This post was last modified: 12-10-2012 11:42 PM by samuraitrev.)
Bases and varnishing guide. With 4 VIDEOS
Hi Fellow gamers and miniature artists!
Paints used 3
Although this section is time consuming don't be put off! The end results are worth the effort. Once these models are based and varnished they will look fantastic for all time...
Again these times are for two models halve it for a single model. Don't move onto the next stage until the glue or paint is dry, the timings are only a guide other factors affect timings such as room temperature and how watered down your glue/paint is.

Stage 1: (3mins) GLUE THE BASE First off you need some PVA glue it's the cheap stuff you can get from art shops etc. Take a couple of small blobs of glue and mix with a couple of drops of water on a piece of plastic or tile (a pipette is handy here). Now spread it onto the base being careful not to get glue on the models feet or the outer edge. See how on my you tube video here part 1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9j7DQ4V1-s8&feature=plcp

Stage 2: (1hr) SAND 'EM Just drop 'em in a pot of sand. It's best to use two different grades mixed up (see thumbnail). At this stage if you're feeling adventurous (usually with bigger bases) find a small rock or twig from your back yard. Or if you've got a bits box stick on a something maybe a discarded gun or use a piece of a paper clip for a piece of pipe. For Zombies the odd severed limb is an option. Use the drying time to paint more models, or like me, plan world domination...

Stage 3: (5 mins) SHADE first remove any stray bits of sand which have settled onto the feet and edge of base, this just happens even when it hasn't been glued, I think it's just static. Ok I use GW ink (No longer on sale but can be found on the net) for this stage but any really dark brown watered down (1 part paint to two parts water) will work fine. If you want to go for just bare rock effects use watered down black. Apply either colour to your sand and in no time it will settle in between all the grains of sand and small pebbles. . See how on my you tube video here part 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQS8pttkTSM&feature=plcp

Stage 4: (10 mins) HIGHLIGHT Drybrushing time see Part 2 of My Character tutorial if unsure. If you're just going for rocks effects go to b. Ok (A) first up drybrush with Desert Yellow (or a small ammount of green mixed with yelow) over all the sand and small pebbles. Go easy here you want to leave the shade beneath too. Next (B) drybrush Astronomican Grey (Or any light grey) onto just the larger pieces of pebbles now you have the illusion of earth and rocks.

Stage 5: (3 Mins.) GRASS The best stuff to use is something called static grass. GW do it but you could use coloured particles called flock which works ok too. Like I tell my wife less is more. If you get carried away at this stage you will cover all that cool looking earth and rocks. To apply Static grass or flock again take tiny blobs of your PVA glue and stratigically place on your base in a random manner (I find putting it where it would grow naturally between the rocks gives a visually pleasing effect). Press the grass into the glue lightly. To save your grass/flock apply it over an open book and once the glue has dried you can shake off the excess and put it back.

Stage 6: (4 mins) EDGE Just paint the outside edge of the base with scorched Brown or any very dark brown. This strikingly makes your figure stand out when on display or on the tabletop. . See how on my you tube video here part 3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuzOuAhQCzw&feature=plcp

Stage 7: (1 min) PROTECT Don't skip this stage if you do all your hard work will very soon be spoiled if you plan to handle these minis during a game. If you can use spray varnish do it. This saves so much time. Varnish Like undercoating, the choice is yours. I go for matt varnishing (mostly). Matt gives a more realistic effect in my opinion. Gloss will protect your models better but it will make your models shiny some painters prefer this it's all down to personal preference. Again less is more, short 1 second spray from 5 angles is what I use Front, back, left, right, above. make sure you haven't missed things like weapons on bigger models it's usually these areas which get a lot of handling and knocks. If you use too much varnish your colours will look washed out and cloudy. As a cool aside if you are painting zombies and you have a small pot of gloss varnish apply some over any gory bits this will make the blood look wetZombie13 Gloss varnish can also be used on metals guns/knives to make 'em shineInsane16 . See how to varnish on my you tube video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdoZlrGEQzk&feature=plcp

I hope you have found this guide useful. I've enjoyed putting it together. If you want me to put a zombie guide together for the Zombies out of the LNOE box let me know.

As always Comments/questions welcome

Enjoy
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-30-2010, 05:19 PM
RE: Bases and varnishing guide, protect and improve the look of your models!!
(11-30-2010 02:59 PM)samuraitrev Wrote:  If you want me to put a zombie guide together for the Zombies out of the LNOE box let me know.

Please do so sir. Watchmen02

I am the reason God stopped watching.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-11-2012, 09:27 AM
Just picked up some static grass so I will be giving this a try soon.

A little question though, do you varnish the bases (+ figure) after you put on the grass? Or do you apply the grass after everything is varnished? Probzbly the last, right?

I am the reason God stopped watching.
05-11-2012, 07:39 PM
This looks so simple and effective. This is another nice addition to your guides, Samurai!
05-11-2012, 08:50 PM
(05-11-2012 09:27 AM)Emp Wrote:  Just picked up some static grass so I will be giving this a try soon.

A little question though, do you varnish the bases (+ figure) after you put on the grass? Or do you apply the grass after everything is varnished? Probzbly the last, right?

Varnish the base with static grass and figure. Don't forget to blow off any remaining grass as the stuff will stick to your model too (Hey they said it was static!) before you varnish. This sounds like a no brainer but if you varnish over a bit of static grass it's staying there and that physically hurts.
Another good reason to varnish the grass too is it will be held in place and prevent base baldness. Hope this helps sir.Zombie13

Thanks phantomninja you're very welcome. Have a check in A Brush with Death sub-section of my tomb it's crammed full of guide goodies!
05-12-2012, 01:05 AM
Great guide! I love the idea of using gloss on zombie gore. I'm going to try that.

I'd also be interested in a zombie guide. Thanks!
05-12-2012, 12:40 PM
(05-12-2012 01:05 AM)BanjoBoy666 Wrote:  Great guide! I love the idea of using gloss on zombie gore. I'm going to try that.

I'd also be interested in a zombie guide. Thanks!

Thanks young banjo here's a Zombie guide for you. Enjoy!
http://www.thezombiegame.com/forums/Thre...ied-Matter

There's also a gore guide on there too!Zombie13
12-10-2012, 01:18 AM
RE: Bases and varnishing guide. With 3 VIDEOS
:Updated with groovy videos (see 1st post):

I hope you guys can check 1 otr 2 out.
12-10-2012, 03:54 AM
Amazingly cool!
12-10-2012, 11:43 PM (This post was last modified: 12-10-2012 11:43 PM by samuraitrev.)
(12-10-2012 03:54 AM)wisdomknight Wrote:  Amazingly cool!

Glad you like it.
:Updated:
Varnishing video added too! + you get to see me in the fleshZombie12