Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Best First Scenario
01-12-2012, 10:51 PM
RE: Best First Scenario
(01-12-2012 05:56 PM)samuraitrev Wrote:  Let us know how you got on rreers.
1) What did you think of the rulebook? Was it easy to learn for new players?
2) Were you the Zombies or Heroes?
3) Which scenario did you play?
4) Did you use any tactics that worked? Could you have done something better?
5) Who was victorious?

I'm rooting for the dead uns...Zombie13

1. It was a long game as it took us about three hours for the playthrough. The rulebook was a little confusing and needed to be reread a few times and consulted often throughout our game. However now that the game is completed I feel confident that I know the basic rules well enough to play again with minimal referencing. The reason I found the rule book confusing may have been that often an item or tactic (i.e. fights) would be referenced as "found below" or simply "explained later on" and then flipping through pages to find out what to do(as the zombies it brings up the fights but does not explain fighting sequence until after both the zombie and hero turns as opposed to placing it in the first section). We missed reading the pages after the fight pages as once we had read about zombie turns hero turns and (eventually) fights we had completed our first round and thought we knew the basic game, only to be confused later by a card where we had to roll a random building.

This is my experience, I may have done it to myself by not just reading the rules throughly through before proceeding to play.

2. I played the heroes, my wife played the zombies.

3. We played Die Zombie Die!

4.My wife has learnt the valuable lesson that a single zombie is weak but a hoard has strength. I learned that when there are only 40 cards in the basic deck don't search with the drifter every turn.

5.Heroes won as it was easy to pick of lone zombies rolling my way most of the game. Although there was only one turn remaining and 2 hero cards left in my draw pile.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-16-2012, 12:52 AM
Hi all,

A little late but I disagree that Die Zombies, Die! is a good starting scenario. I prefer Escape in the Truck, as it teaches the basic strategy to both zombies and humans, whereas Die Zombies, Die! is quite unique in that the humans need to kill zombies.

Just my two cents,
Cheerio,
ST

Just Keep Repeating It...
[img=468x60]http://www.thezombiegame.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10169/normal_itsonlyamovieinvert.jpg[/img]
03-29-2012, 10:11 PM
If you want to be aggressive and kill zombies play the "kill 15 zombie" scenario.

If you want to play defensively and search alot play the scenario where you have to find and protect 4 townsfolk.

Both are easy and very fun.
06-08-2012, 07:51 PM
SovTech actually makes a good point. In most of the scenarios, the heroes are typically better benefitted by trying to avoid zombie fights. However, in Die Zombies Die, you have to kill them in order to win. 15 of them to be exact.

Still, the game suggests it for the first time you play, so I would personally go with that recommendation.

However, for me personally, I'm not terribly fond of Die Zombies Die. It is fun and all, but to me, it is more simplistic. I more so like the scenarios where you are doing something else (such as searching for specific items) in addition to any fights that may break out.

Plus, I can't help but feel like it is a bit imbalanced. I mean, asking you to kill 15 zombies in 15 rounds? That means you either have to kill one zombie every round, or start to kill several in certain rounds. Though, have others played this scenario enough to get a feel for it? Is it actually not quite as difficult as it sounds? To me, it sounds like it would be nearly impossible without a lot of lucky rolls and/or draws.

Anyways, I would really just recommend going with your personal feelings. As the game suggests, it certainly is good to play first to help you learn the game, but if you think you may enjoy other scenarios better, than feel free to elect to pick something else.
06-09-2012, 01:32 AM (This post was last modified: 06-09-2012 01:33 AM by samuraitrev.)
I usually use DZD scenario to introdue fresh meat. They can just concentrate on searching and killing. Not my choice of scenario. My favourite is It fell from the sky. I have done game reports on every LNoE Scenario to date as the Zombies I am now working my way through as Heroes.
As the Zombies I won ( The Heroes killed 9)
As the Heroes I lost ( Again the Heroes killed 9)

I would say as a general rule it's a harder ride for the Heroes in every scenario. All the greater glory for winning. No wonder only 3 out of 16 make it to Timber Peak!
06-11-2012, 08:32 AM
For my party, having read the rules throughly before i even receive the game it was a piece of cake to explain and play at almost no time, as for the beggining scenario i also go with the DZD , although heroes will mostly sure lose, its easy to make them be afraid of zombies and no playing the lone killer, and also its easy to concetrate on the game rules (than the scenario rules) in order to learn them and be ready for some nice scenarios
06-12-2012, 05:41 AM
I usually go with DZD too but spice things up with some Dot adding to play the Zombie Horde. With fewer cards it keeps peoples mind at the simple task of survival. Afterwards I let them try escaping in the truck...

"It's the smell... it's driving them CRAZY!"
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-12-2012, 12:51 PM
If it wasn't currently between printings, I'd say that the webstore-exclusive Stock Up! would be a better first scenario than either DZD or Escape in the Truck. It's balanced heavily in favor of the heroes, in that the scenario search items are weapons so the heroes will more easily be armed (and thus more capable of defending themselves) than in EitT, but at the same time it focuses more on the 'Get these items then go to this place' that many scenarios involve, rather than the much more dangerous 'go kill zeds' of DZD.

Granted, DZD forces you to get *really* familiar with the fight mechanics, but the 2-hero-deaths-mean-zed-win is far too tight for a good first scenario.
06-12-2012, 07:43 PM
That's right. I forgot that the zombies only have to kill two heroes to win in Die Zombies Die! That makes it seem even more impossible for the heroes if you ask me.

BTW,

Stock Up is currently between printing? Man! I was thinking of picking that up soon. Anybody have any idea how long it usually takes for something to get back in stock?
06-12-2012, 07:53 PM
It has been out of stock for quite some time now. A few months ago I heard rumour it was going to be available soon. I guess patience is bitter but its braiiins smell goood. I lack this particular scenario too.

"It's the smell... it's driving them CRAZY!"
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user