Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Betrayal at Hill House
11-21-2010, 09:29 PM
Betrayal at Hill House
Avalon Hill just re-released this game last month with all of the errors fixed and most of the haunts working better (I assume since I've only played 2 out of the 50 haunts...). I hadn't seen it mentioned here since the 2nd edition so I thought I should mention. It was a really fun game with some great aspects when it was first out even with the cryptic wording and rules in the haunts. Now that the thing actually works it's even better. As always, check it out on Boardgame geek and keep in mind LNOE is still better....

"If we are very lucky and start running now we might get out of this alive or merely dead"
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-22-2010, 12:20 PM
RE: Betrayal at Hill House
I never got the 1st edition (I was still a "War Gamer" at the time)-I was interested in the reprint but then the warping issues surfaced,
so I passed again.Maybe when they get the warping under conrtol I'll look into it.

OD

Sighing like the night wind and sobbing like the rain,—
Wailing for the lost one that comes not again:
11-23-2010, 04:43 AM
I actually experienced both of those warping issues with the figure and the figure but thought it was just thought is was from not lying flat in the box. Luckily I have a copy of the old BAHH so I can sub in the old unwarped items. Still a bit bummed out that it was a bad quality control issue going on. So it goes.

"If we are very lucky and start running now we might get out of this alive or merely dead"
11-23-2010, 03:31 PM
Hey guys, when you say "warping" what do you mean? Are the figures bent over or something? I am very interested in this game but an unfamiliar with it other than what I have read on-line.

Here's a tip.

If thefigures are bent or slanted, have you tried the "fire and ice" method for straightening them out?

Just in case you are not familiar. Take a pan of water and bring it to a boil. Drop the bent, twisted, warped figure into the water. Literally in just a few seconds you should see the figure "straighten up" as the mold memory of the plastic kicks in. If it doesn't straighten to your satisfaction use some tongs or chopsticks to remove the figure from the hot water. Quickly reposition the figure the way you want it and dip it into a bowl of ice water. Hold it there for a few seconds and then set it out on a paper towel to dry. The mold memory should cause the figure to straighten up and the cold water will "set" the figure in the new position.

I have used this method on HUNDREDS of soft plastic figures over the years and it works 90% of the time. I have even done it with painted figures and did not experience any paint loss.

You might give it a try.
11-23-2010, 07:43 PM
They meant that the tiles in the game might be warped.
11-23-2010, 08:08 PM
(11-23-2010 07:43 PM)Pfr_Fate Wrote:  They meant that the tiles in the game might be warped.
Well, in the words of Emily Litella...Never mind.
11-28-2010, 07:07 PM
i own the game (a wonderful game by the by.) and i've only experienced the warping everyone is talking about. I honestly dont see the issue. it doesn't effect the game itself, the worse part of the warping is that it make stacking the tiles hard to do. as far as the tiles 'moving' during play...well...you shouldn't be playing a tile laying game on a rickety table anyways Watchmen02
12-06-2010, 02:06 PM
I've been looking at this for a while, and can't decide if the 'warping' would bother me too much or not. There seems to be a fairly even split between people saying it's not game destroying and those that feel ripped off. I guess I'll keep watching the debate and decide after Christmas.
01-20-2011, 05:30 PM
I loved the original, and wonder what new stuff they added, heard something about new scenarios and a few new items, were there new omens as well?
01-25-2011, 04:14 PM
For those that have warped tiles I believe you can get them replaced by contacting Wizard Customer Service.