Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Betrayal at a Certain House
12-08-2013, 06:40 AM
Betrayal at a Certain House
I finally got the chance to play Betrayal at House on the Hill. I have to say, I was disappointed. We had some fun in the first phase with all the cooky events. The haunting happened just as exploring was starting to get dull.

Huzzah! The moment I had been waiting for! Many of the rules regarding our specific scenario were vague, but everyone was a good sport about it so no harm there. My problem with the game was that exploring the house took three quarters of an hour, but the haunting only lasted a round and a half. Including reading and interpreting the rules, the most exciting part of the game didn't last ten minutes.

It was an incredibly close game. If the Betrayer had gotten his third turn, he would have finished us off (he had an army of specters to do so). Do most of the haunt scenarios end this quickly?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-08-2013, 01:56 PM
RE: Betrayal at a Certain House
The revised edition of this game came out about the same time as Mansions of Maddness - so being a Mythos junkie,
I went with MoM. Then the 1st Printing Tile Warp issues hit BaHotH & I never looked back.

Be interesting to see some posts on this Game (maybe by 2015-when my Gaming budget returns(SoB you know).
I might look into BaHotH.

OD

Sighing like the night wind and sobbing like the rain,—
Wailing for the lost one that comes not again:
04-01-2014, 12:51 PM
There's a new reprint of the 2nd edition available now, which doesn't have the warped tiles issue anymore. Having played the game, it fills a great niche of games, that can be played in an hour, but still deliver on theme. It is very simple and yes, some rules are a bit vague, especially in some of the haunts, but nothing, that can't be hand-waved. It is a game to be played for a fun-time and cool story unfolding, not for strategy.
04-01-2014, 04:06 PM
Personally, Betrayal at House on the Hill is not just a favorite in our home, but in our whole gaming group. I got the 2nd edition release and have had no issues with tile warping at all. Plus with the 50 scenarios and the 30+ more available on the BoardGameGeek entry for it, this game entertains.

My brain is churning now, trying to incorporate BaHotH and LNoE... Hmmm!
09-09-2014, 05:16 PM
I just got this game and I freaking love it! I love the theme of the game.