Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Bird Box
04-28-2016, 11:08 PM
Bird Box
This book by Josh Malerman captures an apocalyptic near-future world, where a mother and her two small children must make their way down a river, blindfolded. One wrong choice and they will die. And something is following them -- but is it man, animal, or monster? Glimpses into the past and the first days of the horror are woven with the terrifying journey. A small band of humans find each other in a home where all the windows are covered. Going to the well to retrieve water is a terrifying challenge. The question I have is would the blind have to shut their eyes as well? Even though not a zombie story (or is it?), Bird Box captures the constant threat and dread of the unknown.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-29-2016, 12:20 AM
RE: Bird Box
Welcome to TZG Gb.... The Bird box sounds interesting & the price is right.

http://www.amazon.com/Bird-Box-Novel-Jos...h+malerman

OD

Sighing like the night wind and sobbing like the rain,—
Wailing for the lost one that comes not again:
04-29-2016, 05:12 PM (This post was last modified: 04-29-2016 05:13 PM by Greybear.)
(04-29-2016 12:20 AM)Old Dwarf Wrote:  Welcome to TZG Gb.... The Bird box sounds interesting & the price is right.

http://www.amazon.com/Bird-Box-Novel-Jos...h+malerman

OD

Thanks OD. I have my library copy. You might find reading the comments about the book at Amazon interesting. My reading almost always occurs just before bedtime while I sit alone in my living room. I love horror and have read many King and Koontz books. I have A Touch of Evil and its expansion and am expecting to get Last Night on Earth in a trade. But this book rattled me so much when I started that I had to set it aside to read a different book. I returned to Bird Box the next night without quite the dread I felt originally, though the story continues to be gripping (nice word that). There's almost a Lovecraftian tone in the book, with the unseen horror lurking nearby, its tentacles reaching, its icy breath giving the back of my neck goosebumps. Zombie24
04-29-2016, 07:10 PM (This post was last modified: 04-29-2016 07:10 PM by Old Dwarf.)
Really sounds like a great read, every so often I come across a book that I have to stop
reading & take a break as it gets too intense.

I read a lot of horror as well mostly Lovecraft Mythos stuff but once in awhile I revert
to my History Major roots. Right now I'm reading 'The Deadly Embrace" Hitler/Stalin &
the Nazi-Soviet Pact 1939-1941.( It's Horror in a way)

Knootz- I rather feel he writes the same story & over & King I have never forgiven for the
cop out ending of the Dark Tower series.

OD

04-29-2016, 07:22 PM
(04-29-2016 07:10 PM)Old Dwarf Wrote:  Really sounds like a great read, every so often I come across a book that I have to stop
reading & take a break as it gets too intense.

OD

Can you recall any of these? Many years ago, I read Stephen King's The Shining all night long. About 3:30 am I woke my wife up for a little reassurance. I wouldn't even try reading that long now. I also played a game of Risk for well over 24 hours straight. Ah, the endurance of youth.

Chuck
04-29-2016, 10:19 PM
Recall-at my age it seems I have the recall of a nat. But I do have a fairly recent read(s) that I
took breaks from.

http://www.thezombiegame.com/forums/Thread-The-Hollows

I admit it doesn't sound like something you could get intense about but the characters just suck you in
but as odd as the whole alternative world seems the author creates characters you come to identify with.

OD