Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
BitF: Spawn Cost for Champions?
02-28-2014, 10:02 PM
BitF: Spawn Cost for Champions?
We have a debate going on at BGG about the actual spawn cost for champions. Take the Feral Dead as an example.

*Assume auto-spawn zombies, so phase 3 is skipped
*Assume zombie player has infinite XP points, so ignore XP restrictions

1. I roll a 6 (for 6 spawn points), which normally means I can spawn 6 zombies.

2. I choose to put 2 points toward a Feral Dead, so I now have 4 spawn points left.

Now, do I *spawn* that Feral Dead, or *place* it??

I play that I spawn the Feral Dead, which takes another spawn point from my remaining 4 points, leaving me with only 3 spawn points.

Others disagree and say that you get to place the Feral Dead, and that you're not actually spawning it instead of another zombie, so you would still have 4 spawn points left to work with.

A side effect of the first stance is that it is impossible to spawn a Behemoth with no warning. The Zombie player will have had to save at least 1 spawn point on the Behemoth card from a previous turn, which puts the Hero player on notice. The second stance allows a Behemoth to spawn any time the Zombie player rolls a 6 (other restrictions aside).

Thoughts?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-28-2014, 10:24 PM
RE: BitF: Spawn Cost for Champions?
We treat it as a spawned zombie. So you if you roll a two you can put the 2 spawn points on the card but can't place him till the next go because you don't have enough spawns
02-28-2014, 10:24 PM (This post was last modified: 02-28-2014 10:29 PM by ATOEtalGeek.)
The rule on page 9 states: "Anytime you are Spawning Zombies, you may also choose any Zombie Champions that have Spawn Tokens on them equal to their cost and pay the listed amount of Experience Tokens to place them on a Zombie Spawning Pit. " (my emphasis)

Your first position would have you paying the necessary cost listed on the Champion card to summon the Champion to your Pool, from which you can then spawn. The rule clarifies this is not the case though - the Champion is summoned to the Spawning Pit once the cost is paid.

Sssshhhh...I thought I heard a feetstep...
02-28-2014, 10:42 PM
(02-28-2014 10:24 PM)ATOEtalGeek Wrote:  The rule on page 9 states: "Anytime you are Spawning Zombies, you may also choose any Zombie Champions that have Spawn Tokens on them equal to their cost and pay the listed amount of Experience Tokens to place them on a Zombie Spawning Pit. " (my emphasis)

Your first position would have you paying the necessary cost listed on the Champion card to summon the Champion to your Pool, from which you can then spawn. The rule clarifies this is not the case though - the Champion is summoned to the Spawning Pit once the cost is paid.

This is a pretty good argument; I like it.
10-11-2014, 04:08 AM
You only use the number of Spawn Tokens that the card requires, nothing more (besides XP) is needed to spawn them. But they can only be placed during the Zombie Spawn phase. They are the same rules as Grave Dead in Growing Hunger. They only require 2. Not 2 + 1 to spawn.

So, roll a 6
Feral Dead = 2 Spawn Tokens = Come into play
Also, 4 regular Zombies come into play too.
10-12-2014, 12:11 PM
(10-11-2014 04:08 AM)DrkBlueXG Wrote:  You only use the number of Spawn Tokens that the card requires, nothing more (besides XP) is needed to spawn them. But they can only be placed during the Zombie Spawn phase. They are the same rules as Grave Dead in Growing Hunger. They only require 2. Not 2 + 1 to spawn.

So, roll a 6

So you can only spawn one Feral Dead champion per turn?
10-12-2014, 01:12 PM
(10-12-2014 12:11 PM)Achtung Panzer Wrote:  
(10-11-2014 04:08 AM)DrkBlueXG Wrote:  You only use the number of Spawn Tokens that the card requires, nothing more (besides XP) is needed to spawn them. But they can only be placed during the Zombie Spawn phase. They are the same rules as Grave Dead in Growing Hunger. They only require 2. Not 2 + 1 to spawn.

So, roll a 6

So you can only spawn one Feral Dead champion per turn?

That's how we play it.
10-13-2014, 08:25 AM
I was just using that as an example.
You can spawn as many as you like, as long as you have enough spawn points and exp points to spawn them.
The rules do state though that each model is one time use, meaning once they are killed, then they are removed from the game.