Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Burn em out - Require fire items for explosives?
09-23-2013, 05:41 PM
Burn em out - Require fire items for explosives?
It only makes sense for this to occur. Perhaps one hero could even start with a fire item to help balance it out. Thoughts?

Only played this scenario once and won the game within the first 4 or 5 turns so I don't think that was a fair assessment of the mission.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-23-2013, 06:03 PM
RE: Burn em out - Require fire items for explosives?
I've only played this once, and just barely won with the humans. Charging a spawn pit can be tough. I'd be hesitant to house rule that way since there are no buildings where you can pick up light items from the discard pile (at least not in my game, I don't have all of the expansions). But if you're having a real easy time with it, try it out and let us know how it goes. It would certainly make the chemistry teacher much more valuable.
09-23-2013, 07:12 PM
No. Just the explosives.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-24-2013, 01:29 AM (This post was last modified: 09-24-2013 01:30 AM by ForestRunner.)
(09-23-2013 05:41 PM)ch82 Wrote:  It only makes sense for this to occur. Perhaps one hero could even start with a fire item to help balance it out. Thoughts?

Only played this scenario once and won the game within the first 4 or 5 turns so I don't think that was a fair assessment of the mission.

To win this scenario in 4 or 5 turns, my first question would be if it was played correctly? Second question would be, was there a Zombie player? I don't mean to sound facetious, so apologies if it comes across like that - it just doesn't sound right.

That said... play experience has shown just the explosives, without the fire item, to be reasonably well balanced. If it ain't broke...

I don't suffer from insanity... I love every minute of it...
09-24-2013, 09:18 PM (This post was last modified: 09-24-2013 09:19 PM by samuraitrev.)
These are official points by the maker of the game Jason C. Hill.

Burn 'Em Out
'Once a pit is destroyed there is nothing left there to spawn from (so Zombies will have to find somewhere else to crawl up out of).
Destroying a Zombie pit has no effect on Zombies that are already in the space.'
http://boardgamegeek.com/article/1689513#1689513

When Buildings With Spawning Pits In Are Taken Over
'This is a dangerous situation that can crop up. If it happens, the Heroes need to find a card to Cancel a Zombie Card (there are several of these in the deck), use Father Joseph's Strength of Spirit, or hope for a New Spawning Pit to show up. It is pretty uncommon for this to happen, and pretty much always takes care of itself (through one of the above mentioned methods of getting around it). I have yet to see the Heroes lose because all of the remaining Spawning Pits were Taken Over for the rest of the game.'
http://boardgamegeek.com/article/1753199#1753199

'In 'Burn 'Em Out', destroying a Spawning Pit is not like a regular explosion of a Gas Marker. The Hero must start their turn in the space with the pit, give up their turn (no move, shoot, exchange etc.), fight any Zombies in the space, and then discard their Explosive (Gasoline or Dynamite) to destroy the pit (you do NOT need a Keyword Fire Item).'
'Aside from having to fight any Zombies before blowing up the pit, it does not make a difference if there are Zombies in the space or not. Blowing up the pit has no effect on the Zombies and Zombies have no effect on a Hero's ability to blow up the pit.'
http://boardgamegeek.com/article/1753464#1753464

'You can only destroy a Zombie SPawning Pit in the Scenario 'Burn 'em Out'. To destroy a pit, you need Gasoline or Dynamite, but you do not need anything to light it with (see page 20 of the rulebook for additional clarification on Scenarios). Zombies have a choice in this scenario to stay by the pits and guard them (hard to guard all four), or come out to fight the Heroes. If they guard the pits, the Heroes have free reign to search a lot and find the best weapons and cards to get the job done. If the Zombies hunt down the Heroes, they leave the pits virtually unguarded and open to Hero attack. This is part of the strategy of the 'Burn 'em Out' scenario.'
http://boardgamegeek.com/article/1898777#1898777

'In Burn 'Em Out, using an Explosive to destroy a Spawning Pit works differently than the normal uses for Explosives. Just throwing Dynamite at a Spawning Pit will not destroy it. You can think of giving up your turn as planting the Explosives in strategic spots in order to destroy the pit. Destroying a Pit has no affect on Zombies (or Heroes) in the same or adjacent spaces, regardless of what Explosive is being used.'
http://boardgamegeek.com/article/2022582#2022582

Hope this helpsWatchmen02
09-24-2013, 10:20 PM
(09-24-2013 01:29 AM)ForestRunner Wrote:  
(09-23-2013 05:41 PM)ch82 Wrote:  It only makes sense for this to occur. Perhaps one hero could even start with a fire item to help balance it out. Thoughts?

To win this scenario in 4 or 5 turns, my first question would be if it was played correctly? Second question would be, was there a Zombie player? I don't mean to sound facetious, so apologies if it comes across like that - it just doesn't sound right.

That said... play experience has shown just the explosives, without the fire item, to be reasonably well balanced. If it ain't broke...

No sorry I didn't make it clear. I slaughtered them in like 5 turns as the zombie. I had some good card combos that game but they did manage to have fire and one explosive before I killed them.
09-24-2013, 11:59 PM
(09-24-2013 10:20 PM)ch82 Wrote:  No sorry I didn't make it clear. I slaughtered them in like 5 turns as the zombie. I had some good card combos that game but they did manage to have fire and one explosive before I killed them.

You don't have to apologise. That old "power of assumption" made me believe you were the HP with the way you worded it.

That said, it dawned on my last night the Heroes could win the scenario in such a short time frame if they were using the dyanamite and fuel cards, with markers, from the Timber Peak set. I personally keep Timber Peak seperate from all other LNOE (like it's "the next chapter") so didn't make the connection until later.

Congrats on the massacre however... well done!! Hope your player(s) didn't get too discouraged though - can be the one downside to a one sided game.

I don't suffer from insanity... I love every minute of it...
09-25-2013, 04:54 PM
Remember if you get a Scenario Search Item in your starting cards it should go back into the deck. See the Timber Peak rulebook p. 17

'Scenario Search Items and Starting Cards
Occasionally Heroes will get one or more of the
Scenario Search Items for the Scenario in their starting
Cards (for not having their Start Location on the
board, etc). If a Hero gets a Scenario Search Item (or
a card that lets them take a Scenario Search Item from
the deck such as Hopeful Discovery) in their starting
cards, they must shuffle it back into the deck and draw
again. If one of them is drawn a second time as part
of the re-draw, the Hero may keep it is normal.'
09-25-2013, 09:30 PM (This post was last modified: 09-25-2013 09:32 PM by ATOEtalGeek.)
(09-24-2013 11:59 PM)ForestRunner Wrote:  ...if they were using the dyanamite and fuel cards, with markers, from the Timber Peak set. I personally keep Timber Peak seperate from all other LNOE (like it's "the next chapter") so didn't make the connection until later.

We've come across this too with this scenario...and decided the best way to handle it is the Hero has to discard the card itself regardless of how many markers are on it. I should add that I have all the card lumped together and we don't sort them after each play - so we get a mix of all the cards during any scenario. It works ok with some allowances. I see the merit in saving TP, or certain other expansions, to tell the story along the way too.

Sssshhhh...I thought I heard a feetstep...