Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
"Burn it to the Ground!" scenario and the number of Gasoline cards
04-07-2010, 06:45 PM (This post was last modified: 04-07-2010 06:46 PM by zombies are food.)
"Burn it to the Ground!" scenario and the number of Gasoline cards
Hello! First post on the forums.

Yesterday I was playing the "Burn it to the Ground!" scenario from Growing Hunger, and my heroes had gotten 3 Gasoline cards. After a long while looking for the fourth, I'd finally gotten a Scenario Item Search card, and looking through the deck, I found that there were no other Gasoline cards (4 are required to win the "Burn it to the Ground!" scenario).

My Hero Deck has all 85 cards from the basic, advanced and Growing Hunger sets (I counted them after this occured). But I only have 3 Gasoline cards in the deck.

Did I get a faulty copy of the game, or a faulty copy of the Growing Hunger expansion? How many Gasoline cards are you supposed to have in the Hero deck with the advanced and Growing Hunger cards included?

Was the scenario designed to only be winnable by getting a card that allows you to pick up from the discard pile (meaning you would have to make at least 2 trips into the Manor)? If that's true, it makes the Zombie deck cards that allow them to remove a card permanently from the discard pile incredibly powerful.

Thanks for your time.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-07-2010, 07:37 PM
RE: "Burn it to the Ground!" scenario and the number of Gasoline cards
There are only 3 gas cards. You must put a gas marker on the pit and then discard the gas card. You can get it back with the event card that lets you pull out of the discard pile, or if the gas station is on the board you can pick it up out of the discard pile on your search turn.
04-08-2010, 01:22 PM
I haven't found that I am in trouble getting all of the gasolines.

In the base game, there's two gasolines. Growing Hunger adds a third.
There's also 4x "Just What I Needed" which allows you to pick any scenario search item from the draw deck or - this is the important part - ANY Hero Car from the discard pile.
Growing Hunger also introduced 2x "I Found It!" cards. This card allows you to take ANY Scenario Search Item from the Hero Deck OR discard pile.

This adds up to 9 cans of gasoline you can pick up during the game, not assuming that the gas station-board is in play as well...

With 99 cards in the Hero Deck (at leat on my count (I've got base game+growing hunger+Hero Pack 1+Survival Of The Fittest+Grawe Weapons miniatures) it's still about a 1 in 10 chance that you pick up a card, that allows you to get gasoline, when you search - and In my opinion, that's about fair.
04-08-2010, 11:16 PM
Thanks for the help!
06-10-2010, 08:12 PM
Brichs Wrote:I haven't found that I am in trouble getting all of the gasolines.

In the base game, there's two gasolines. Growing Hunger adds a third.
There's also 4x "Just What I Needed" which allows you to pick any scenario search item from the draw deck or - this is the important part - ANY Hero Car from the discard pile.
Growing Hunger also introduced 2x "I Found It!" cards. This card allows you to take ANY Scenario Search Item from the Hero Deck OR discard pile.

This adds up to 9 cans of gasoline you can pick up during the game, not assuming that the gas station-board is in play as well...

With 99 cards in the Hero Deck (at leat on my count (I've got base game+growing hunger+Hero Pack 1+Survival Of The Fittest+Grawe Weapons miniatures) it's still about a 1 in 10 chance that you pick up a card, that allows you to get gasoline, when you search - and In my opinion, that's about fair.

So what happens to the game if the heroes have already discarded all 3 gasoline markers, and the Zombie player uses the card that allows all Hero cards of one type to be removed from the discard pile? Doesn't that make it unwinnable for the heroes?
06-11-2010, 04:47 PM (This post was last modified: 06-11-2010 04:48 PM by tarsusc81.)
Anybody? Am I understanding it right? What happens when this situation occurs?

@Brichs, you said it's almost a 1 in 10 chance of getting Gasoline, but that's not precisely true. Before "Just What I Needed" can be of any help, the heroes must first have found and used at least one Gasoline. So until the first has been used, it's actually only a 5% chance (3 Gasoline plus 2 "I Found It!").

How have other people's experiences been with this? Do the heroes have trouble finding the Gasoline? 99 cards is a lot to look through for 5 cards. Does anybody always use the Gas Station when playing this scenario, or does that make it too easy for the heroes?
06-11-2010, 06:14 PM
There are indeed scenarios like that happen that can make it so the heroes cannot possibly win. It's rare and unlikely, but possible. Search around and you'll see a discussion we had regarding "I've got to get to the..." and some people's thoughts that a zombie player can make it so a certain hero can never search again.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-12-2011, 12:36 AM
I'm surprised that there's no note that those cards can't be used to get rid of Scenario Search Items.
03-12-2011, 05:31 PM
I recently won a game of IFOS by using a card that got rid of the discard pile -- which led to me destroying all the scenario search items.
03-12-2011, 07:58 PM
What about using Duct Tape. When you use Gas you have a chance to not discard it so being able to use the same card multiple times.