Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Campaign Character Sheets
02-28-2014, 05:15 AM
Campaign Character Sheets
I've been working on a campaign mode for Last Night on Earth which features character and story progression. Attached is a copy of my first Campaign Character sheet. Just wanted to get your guys thoughts!

.pdf  Johnny Campaign Sheet.pdf (Size: 438.56 KB / Downloads: 49)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-28-2014, 12:00 PM
RE: Campaign Character Sheets
Hey I really like that. How does it work? Do you have to pick and choose as you gain XP?

Sssshhhh...I thought I heard a feetstep...
02-28-2014, 03:24 PM
Sounds brilliant!
02-28-2014, 08:49 PM
(02-28-2014 12:00 PM)ATOEtalGeek Wrote:  Hey I really like that. How does it work? Do you have to pick and choose as you gain XP?

This attachment explains a little more of the experience system used in the campaign and character progression.

.pdf  Character Campaign Instructions.pdf (Size: 380.25 KB / Downloads: 34)
02-28-2014, 09:39 PM
I'd have to see how the zombie player balances before giving feedback. Balance is essential
03-01-2014, 08:59 PM (This post was last modified: 03-01-2014 09:20 PM by ZombieDad.)
Zombie Player also collects experience points and is able to upgrade their Zombies in between missions.
[attachment=2577]

(02-28-2014 09:39 PM)ch82 Wrote:  I'd have to see how the zombie player balances before giving feedback. Balance is essential

Attached File(s)
.pdf  Zombie Player Campaign Sheetb.pdf (Size: 432.29 KB / Downloads: 28)
03-03-2014, 06:31 PM
I think this looks interesting. I wouldn't award xp for killing zombies though but rather completing missions.
Characters who survive get xp/level ups. All missions have the heroes replenish perk except that once a hero dies they are dead in all future scenarios. When zombies win a scenario they do not get XP however they prevent the players from getting xp.
Zombies gain abilities/xp by killing off characters. Equipment/discards/wounds carry over to the next scenario. Also for buildings with pickup abilities. After the first time the pickup is used the chance of finding additional items decreases with each pickup.

(IE you can't go to the gun store run out of ammo and keep picking up the gun you just dropped without eventually exhausting the supply)
03-18-2014, 09:29 PM
(03-03-2014 06:31 PM)ch82 Wrote:  I think this looks interesting. I wouldn't award xp for killing zombies though but rather completing missions.
Characters who survive get xp/level ups. All missions have the heroes replenish perk except that once a hero dies they are dead in all future scenarios. When zombies win a scenario they do not get XP however they prevent the players from getting xp.
Zombies gain abilities/xp by killing off characters. Equipment/discards/wounds carry over to the next scenario. Also for buildings with pickup abilities. After the first time the pickup is used the chance of finding additional items decreases with each pickup.

(IE you can't go to the gun store run out of ammo and keep picking up the gun you just dropped without eventually exhausting the supply)

I agree that XP should be awarded only at the end of a completed scenario, unless you also award XP for completing scenario objectives (e.g. filling up the truck with gas, and then later using the keys. Each would garner XP).

XP earned in the scenario for wounding zombies would be used to purchase Timber Peak upgrades. Those upgrades would be discarded at the end of the scenario, so you'd be dealing with two separate types of XP (permanent campaign XP vs. temporary scenario XP). Only campaign XP could be used for Character Sheet skills.

Regardless of who wins a scenario (heroes or zombies), both sides should gain XP. I hesitate to say the winning side should get more, because then we could see a situation of snowballing "rich get richer, poor get poorer". I think zombie player has to act as a DM in this situation.

Another approach would be that instead of XP for character sheet skills, they simply get to choose a new Beginner or upgrade to a higher skill in the tree after each scenario. If new Heroes enter the campaign part way, this would provide a benchmark if you want to give them any skills to start out with.

On the other hand, guaranteed skill upgrades like this might encourage the Heroes to play more conservatively. If the Billy knows he needs just one more zombie kill to get up to 10 XP for that juicy skill upgrade, he may go out of his way and risk himself to get that XP. It can also cause some infighting among the Hero players, if you get XP for a kill or objective. Johnny might refuse to pass the gasoline to Jake, even though he's on his last wound facing a horde of zombies, while Jake is fresh and can escape. This would be amusing. Watchmen02

May I also humbly suggest that the final scenario be a massive custom one that incorporates all the board pieces, and tons of optional rules? Sort of like a final showdown or something: 6-8 hero characters vs horde of 28 zombies plus Champions, grave dead, grave weapons, etc.

Insane21
03-27-2014, 05:40 PM
This looks pretty interesting. I'll be watching this for progress!
Keep it up!