Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Can gas markers be set through walls?
01-25-2016, 03:21 AM
Can gas markers be set through walls?
When using gasoline, gas marker can be set in the space occupied by the hero or adjacent to it. As stated, nothing seems to prevent to set them within a building/outside it even if the here is in the other side. This could even include corners…

Am I right? Or should I be applying the range attack rules?

Thanks!

Every species of ant has its own species of zombi fungi that it gets infected by.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-25-2016, 04:37 PM
RE: Can gas markers be set through walls?
You should be applying the Line of Sight rule. The Hero wouldn't be able to "target" (using the term loosely) a space that he cannot see.

As long as the Hero is standing next to a wall he can see through it. If he is standing in an inside corner he can see through both walls, including the space diagonal to the outside corner. If a Hero is standing on a space diagonal to an outside corner he cannot see into the inside corner.

Note that you can throw the gas on the run -so while the Hero is moving. This could allow him to land it just about anywhere he needs to (unless you roll like me) Watchmen02

Sssshhhh...I thought I heard a feetstep...
01-25-2016, 11:08 PM
"At any time during your move, you may discard to douse your space or any adjacent space with Gasoline (place a Gas Marker there). "

Card has nothing about it. LOS doesn't apply, since that ONLY applies to ranged attacks, and walls only matter for that and movement -- adjacent.

The theme is you're always assumed to have a window or whatnot to douse it through.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-26-2016, 12:57 AM
(01-25-2016 04:37 PM)ATOEtalGeek Wrote:  You should be applying the Line of Sight rule.

Yes, this make total sense. Thanks!

Every species of ant has its own species of zombi fungi that it gets infected by.
01-26-2016, 06:23 PM (This post was last modified: 01-26-2016 06:23 PM by samuraitrev.)
I'm with MQStout on this,

The card reads

...your space or any adjacent space...

Doesn't say anything about Line of Sight. Thematically there's holes in the walls/windows. The Hero could have dropped it from the roof etc. We always play, any adjacent space.
01-26-2016, 08:05 PM
I see your points! The way the text is written, seems to give the hero the choice to put the marker in any space adjacent to it regardless of obstacles etc. I just thought that it was weird that I could put it in a place where according to the sight rules I could not even shoot (as for example a corner inside a house when the hero is in the corner outside it).

In summary: rules say I can The rest is open to house ruling!
Thanks!

01-29-2016, 03:33 PM
The rulebook does not specifically define adjacency, but I don't think you disregard LOS offhand or common sense. I would rule you could not throw it diagonally into the corner of a building when you could not shoot into it. And even if you could shoot into it there may be other considerations. For common sense I think obstacles have to be considered. During game play I would have trouble defending that I can throw a can into a space I can't shoot a shotgun at, or I could throw a can through some obvious obstacle.

What about Fence Post? You would also have to allow the Hero to hit Zs in the building from the diagonal corner since they are adjacent. Just seems weird to me. There are probably other examples as well.

I also don't think LOS can be the only measure because you can have conditions like the cliff wall in BiF. There is no rule that says the bottom of the cliff isn't adjacent to the space at the top of the cliff. Should I be able to throw a gas can up there? Can I hit a Z with the Fence Post? Obviously not. Why? Because there is a common sense obstacle there. I do have LOS but that is not enough in that case. The common sense obstacle is the only reason.

In my opinion LOS is a good first check, then apply common sense. With no official answer it's a good candidate for house-ruling in any case.

Sssshhhh...I thought I heard a feetstep...