Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Cant decide!!!
10-09-2011, 08:57 PM
RE: Cant decide!!!
i know some of the expansions build off of each other but in what oreder?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-10-2011, 06:45 PM
Just get them both! You can get Survival for less than 20 bucks. Either way you will not be disappointed.

Survival adds Unique Items deck, Survival Tactics deck, and Graveweapons deck which are all nice.

With Hunger you get new heroes, board pieces, new scenarios, and a few additions to game mechanics.

Everything Hunger has to offer is great but just not as game changing as Survival.
06-29-2012, 07:41 PM
I seem to be the only one on the boards here ever of this opinion, so I feel the need to share it to give others an alternate thought on the matter. ;-)

First off, I would say that the order in which you buy the expansions should mostly be up to you. Though, some expansions do require that you have others first.

However, everybody's advice when this question comes up is to get Growing Hunger first. Whereas I can definitely see the merit in that, my personal preference is that I'm actually going to wait just a little bit before getting Growing Hunger.

As others have said, Growing Hunger is the biggest expansions, and adds the most to the game. (Or, you could argue Survival of the Fittest adds more, but for the sake of argument...) The thing is... that is exactly why I personally DON'T want to get it first.

A lot of the smaller expansions, and the supplements don't add much other than new scenarios and new cards. So, this doesn't change the game much, but just adds a little variety. Which is exactly why I want to play the base game for a while and have fun with that, then pick up one or two of the smaller expansions/supplements.

Then, after a while of that, I will get Growing Hunger, so as to add even more to make it new. So, the exact reasons everybody seems to suggest getting Growing Hunger first are exactly the reason I personally want to actually get it later. What I am thinking I may do is pick up a few of the small supplements soon that are just literally one new scenario and several new cards. Then, maybe on my Christmas list, I'll add a smaller expansion like Hero Pack 1. Then, for my next birthday in June of 2013, that is when I would put Growing Hunger on my list and hopefully pick that up. That would give me a year of playing the normal game, then I can expand upon it.

But, that is just me personally. That is my personal method to keep the game fresh and new to me for even longer! Just thought I'd share a different opinion.
06-29-2012, 10:37 PM
Hey Staypuft well said! You asked people's opinions and researched the expansions and have decided your personal path to greatness. Nothing is set in stone, just buy what you like, when you like. I never bought everything at once I steadily added to my collection over time. This added to longevity to the game. I would advise you do the same. Happy gaming! Let us know what you get first!Watchmen02
06-30-2012, 04:45 AM
The OP's original question is very tough as everyone's opinion is subjective - and biased with hindsight. No one truly knows with the OP's intention/direction is either. It's almost as if there is no right or wrong answer.

I've got everything available for LNOE (including all the Web exclusives - hey that sounds contradictory!), accrued over time of course. I acquired everything in chronological order of release, at a time when I first got the LNOE base set just as GH was released. I personally know no differently and thus would be my own subjective view/suggestion.

In a similar way of thinking to Staypuft, I was in no hurry to be up to date with everything - and the game did indeed remain fresh. That said, as it's been a while since a major release, I'll probably score TP pretty soon after it's out.

I don't suffer from insanity... I love every minute of it...
07-02-2012, 08:39 PM
(06-29-2012 10:37 PM)samuraitrev Wrote:  Hey Staypuft well said! You asked people's opinions and researched the expansions and have decided your personal path to greatness. Nothing is set in stone, just buy what you like, when you like. I never bought everything at once I steadily added to my collection over time. This added to longevity to the game. I would advise you do the same. Happy gaming! Let us know what you get first!Watchmen02

Thanks! Exactly how I feel. Everybody should certainly go with what makes them happy. No two people are alike. Some people find a new obsession and like to get everything they can right away. Personally, I like to spread the wealth and let it last even longer.

(06-30-2012 04:45 AM)ForestRunner Wrote:  The OP's original question is very tough as everyone's opinion is subjective - and biased with hindsight. No one truly knows with the OP's intention/direction is either. It's almost as if there is no right or wrong answer.

I've got everything available for LNOE (including all the Web exclusives - hey that sounds contradictory!), accrued over time of course. I acquired everything in chronological order of release, at a time when I first got the LNOE base set just as GH was released. I personally know no differently and thus would be my own subjective view/suggestion.

In a similar way of thinking to Staypuft, I was in no hurry to be up to date with everything - and the game did indeed remain fresh. That said, as it's been a while since a major release, I'll probably score TP pretty soon after it's out.

Asbolutely. Again, that was why I wanted to share a different opinion. A lot of folks here seemed to be of the same opinion as each other. Nothing wrong with that at all, but since that was the case, I thought it would be helpful to show a different point of view. That may better help somebody decide who was kind of on the fence.
07-03-2012, 08:00 AM (This post was last modified: 07-03-2012 08:04 AM by scarydk.)
I say get GH first as it provides a solid base for the game whereas the other sets are just... well, simple expansions. I finally received my copy of SOTF four days ago and I really enjoy it. However, last night we considered not including it in one of our games just because we discussed wether we should include the zombies with grave weapons. Of course we decided on using it and the game was violently fun. But with GH there's no discussion. You can't play LNoE without GH. Well, you can. But once you have stepped your rotten feet in the muddy lake GH you'll be forever swiming like a frog. Surely SOTF will send you flying, but you know the Frog's saying: You have to swim before you can fly...

"It's the smell... it's driving them CRAZY!"
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-03-2012, 07:57 PM
(07-03-2012 08:00 AM)scarydk Wrote:  But with GH there's no discussion. You can't play LNoE without GH. Well, you can. But once you have stepped your rotten feet in the muddy lake GH you'll be forever swiming like a frog.

LOL! You just hit on another reason why my personal plan is to have fun with the basic game, and some of the smaller expansions/supplements first. I suspect that once you include Growing Hunger, you'll never want to go back. So, I want to enjoy the base game for a while first, then rock my world... so to speak. ;-)
07-03-2012, 08:34 PM
(07-03-2012 07:57 PM)StayPuft Wrote:  
(07-03-2012 08:00 AM)scarydk Wrote:  But with GH there's no discussion. You can't play LNoE without GH. Well, you can. But once you have stepped your rotten feet in the muddy lake GH you'll be forever swiming like a frog.

LOL! You just hit on another reason why my personal plan is to have fun with the basic game, and some of the smaller expansions/supplements first. I suspect that once you include Growing Hunger, you'll never want to go back. So, I want to enjoy the base game for a while first, then rock my world... so to speak. ;-)

Wise choice, sir.

"It's the smell... it's driving them CRAZY!"
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user