Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Card deck limit
01-05-2010, 07:17 AM
RE: Card deck limit
Patient Zero Wrote:
fallensaviour Wrote:I just add them all the same as the rest.New cards,promos alternates,expansions you name it it gets put in the decks.
It does make for a huge deck but sometimes you can chew through the deck pretty quickly.Other times you may only get a third or half of the way through them.It all depends on the game and the amount of players you have.
Sometimes I'll even divide the decks into separate piles to correspond to certain buildings to make things a little more realistic as to what would be found in that building.It also makes the heroes have to scour the board instead of just holing up in one spot.Like I said all depends on the game or the mood I'm trying to set.

Dude, that is a totally awesome idea! It should probably be a 2 or 3 dot rule since you'd loose about 1/8th the hero deck +/- with each 'They've taken over..." card, but it really should be in there!

Thanks I'm glad you like the idea and yes They've taken over can cause total chaos in a situation like that...LOL
Adds to the realism of the game though I think.Also when I divide the deck up I still have a central or main deck that contains situational stuff and odds and ends so the zombie cards can be played on the main deck as well.
On a final note when cards are used and discarded They get sent to the main discard pile.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-05-2010, 04:54 PM
I wouldn't allocate specific cards to buildings, but I do like the idea of dividing the hero deck into multiple piles. I never thought of that.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-05-2010, 10:04 PM
I've been thinking about the stack per building idea a little more. the two potential bugbears for this are the zombie cards that discards the hero cards and the 'search aid' cards for the heroes.
A good solution to this would be to initially give each building +/- 10 cards. Every time a building runs out of cards add an additional +/- 5 cards to each building from the 'main deck'. Once the 'main deck' down to the point of that they are no longer able to be evenly distributed to the buildings the remaining cards are assigned to the buildings randomly.

The Zombie discard cards like 'A Town Overrun' can discard from the main deck while it still exists. Once the main deck any cards to be discarded are taken from a randomly determined buildings, rerolling any results of buildings with no card. This way, the 'My God, They've Taken the..." card won't cause a premature end to the game by causing a last card discard when there are still undrawn 'Hero Cards'.

The Hero 'Search Aid' cards or building abilities Hero abilities that cause extra cards to be drawn with one taken and the rest discarded can be contained to the buildings hero card stacks. Cards that allow you to search for a scenario item like the second half of 'Just what I needed' can go through the 'main deck' first.

I have no idea what to do about a search for a scenario item card
if the main deck is depleted or the card isn't in the discard pile or the main deck. The 'main deck' idea is just delaying this problem and avoiding all the re-shuffling or random building determination that would come up if all of the cards were dealt to the buildings at the start of the game. I'm not sure what to do when the issue is forced...

We really need to put this in the variant rules forum section with a better title so it'll be found easier.

"If we are very lucky and start running now we might get out of this alive or merely dead"
01-06-2010, 12:06 AM
Buy the Last Night on Earth 'Zombie Pillage' Supplement online and try playing that- it makes it easier to deck the heroes
01-06-2010, 12:45 AM
Yknow, I haven't played that one since I got it, Crichton.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-06-2010, 12:52 AM
mqstout Wrote:Yknow, I haven't played that one since I got it, Crichton.

I think Flying Frog realized that with all the adding of cards they would need a scenario/ dotted rules to actually help the win by discarding the deck option and this was it.
01-06-2010, 06:00 AM
Patient Zero you are thinking very close to the way we play it.Each bldg/pile gets a minimum of ten cards.
Now take into account not every bldg needs a deck of cards.Space them out,some here,some there I try to keep it at around three to four bldgs only.It's just a way to force them out and advance game play if you have people who just play the hole up and wait game.Or also if you are not using alot of different cards this helps to use some cards that might not normally be seen otherwise.
Add a rule in that the zombies can only discard the hero main deck if you like.
This rule really only works if you have a zillion cards.I have all the expansions plus add ons and half the promos so this seems to work rather well for me.
If you only have the main game it's not really feasible.
Again we don't play this way all the time just once in awhile but it is really fun.
01-06-2010, 06:46 PM
fallensaviour Wrote:Patient Zero you are thinking very close to the way we play it.Each bldg/pile gets a minimum of ten cards.
Now take into account not every bldg needs a deck of cards.Space them out,some here,some there I try to keep it at around three to four bldgs only.It's just a way to force them out and advance game play if you have people who just play the hole up and wait game.Or also if you are not using alot of different cards this helps to use some cards that might not normally be seen otherwise.
Add a rule in that the zombies can only discard the hero main deck if you like.
This rule really only works if you have a zillion cards.I have all the expansions plus add ons and half the promos so this seems to work rather well for me.
If you only have the main game it's not really feasible.
Again we don't play this way all the time just once in awhile but it is really fun.

Well the 'bunkering down heroes' problem for the zombies was brought up last week on another listing and this would definitely solve the problem. Unfortunately I've only just started to bring the zombies into the lives of my friends, so it'll be awhile before I can experiment with it to see how well it works and where a tweak might be needed...

I really think that this should be brought into several scenarios currently out there. Hiding in the gun shop and looking for the townfolks was WAY too easy for the heroes, let alone the other search scenarios...

I have to re-read it, but I thought that the town deck rule for Zombie Pillage was more scenario specific.,,,

"If we are very lucky and start running now we might get out of this alive or merely dead"
01-06-2010, 07:53 PM
Patient Zero Wrote:[quote=fallensaviour]
I have to re-read it, but I thought that the town deck rule for Zombie Pillage was more scenario specific.,,,

The scenario lists discard rules with a dot at the beginning which means you can take that "dot" rule and add it to other scenarios -I havent tested it with other scenarios yet
01-07-2010, 12:26 AM
crichton Wrote:
Patient Zero Wrote:[quote=fallensaviour]

The scenario lists discard rules with a dot at the beginning which means you can take that "dot" rule and add it to other scenarios -I havent tested it with other scenarios yet

I spotted why I was confused about what you were talking about. Where Zombie Pillage is a dot rule, the Town Deck rules are part of the Scenario description. On the flip side, making a (+/-) 45 card town deck as a dot rule and applying most or all of the scenario rules would fill out the hero card locations bit nicely. I'm not sure if 45 cards would be high for a town deck if Zombie pillage is not being used. If anyone can take a shot at play testing this and letting us know, please do.