Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Catch! question
08-21-2013, 07:55 PM
Catch! question
I had a very interesting chain of events occur while playing the on-line scenario "We've Got to go Back!" and I was hoping for peoples opinion.
It came down to the end and one of my heroes moved into a space (surronded by zeds) and picked up the last Bio-canister. She then used the card "Catch!" and successfully threw the Bio-canister to Father Joseph who was out of harms way (she then was torn apart by like 9 zeds Zombie15). The next turn Father made it to the truck and won the game, in very theatric form (3 heroes already dead, zombies trapping all my other wounded heroes [it was a beautiful thing]). Anywho, my questions are....

1) Should we have allowed "Catch!" to be played on the Bio-canister (since it is kinda a special scenario specific item)?

2) IF my roll would not have been high enough to successfully throw the Bio-canister, would it have just stayed in the same space with the hero (but have been "dropped", then forcing my hero to pick it back up next turn)?

Thanks for opinions in advance!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-21-2013, 09:45 PM
RE: Catch! question
Great questions. I'm new to the game and can't wait to hear the answers!

Sssshhhh...I thought I heard a feetstep...
08-22-2013, 09:04 AM
(08-21-2013 07:55 PM)Father_Joseph_is_my_Savior Wrote:  1) Should we have allowed "Catch!" to be played on the Bio-canister (since it is kinda a special scenario specific item)?

2) IF my roll would not have been high enough to successfully throw the Bio-canister, would it have just stayed in the same space with the hero (but have been "dropped", then forcing my hero to pick it back up next turn)?

Don't have the cards in front of me but a golden rule is to apply them literally. If it says 'Item' then I would say Yes to the Bio cannister.

As for 'catch' - thematically it's more likely that the hero missed the catch rather than the hero failing to throw the item. So I would play that the item is placed on the recipient's square for them to pick up in their move phase of the next turn. But I could be wrong.
08-22-2013, 11:23 AM (This post was last modified: 08-22-2013 06:18 PM by LabRat.)
1. I'd says yes - the scenario rules say that the Bio Canister can be Exchanged like an Item.

2. I don't think the rules cover this situation, so it's going to be up to you. Personally, trying to adhere as close to what the rules say, I would place it on the "thrower" square. Why? Well, on the card it says that if you fail, the Item is Discarded. In the Scenario rules, it says that if the Hero carrying the canister dies, you place the canister on that Hero's square.

Thematically, the card says that the zombies have intercepted the item, so I could also rule that the bio canister landed in the first square with a zombie that's blocking the direct line between the "thrower" and the recipient.

Edit: Replaced "catcher" with "thrower". That's what I get for posting in a hurry.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-22-2013, 02:13 PM
Discard on a fail. Pretty risk if you fail. I'd make it permanently go away. It's not the only way to make a scenario unwinnable. The scenario rules say if the item is dropped (ie, killed carrier) it goes into the space of the carrier. So, I'd say, on a failed "catch!", the biocan is in the thrower's space when Catch! makes it get discarded. That is as close an interpretation to the RAW as possible.

Of course the golden rule applies: do what you want, it's your game!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-23-2013, 03:34 AM
Bio Canisters
You CAN use "Catch!" on the Bio Canisters. If a 1 is rolled, instead of discarding the canister, it is dropped to the ground and must be picked up again in the Exchange Items phase (as noted in the scenario rules for when a Hero with a Canister is killed). Roll a D6. On a 1, 2, or 3, place the Canister in the space where the thrower is; on the roll of 4, 5, or 6, place the Canister in the space where the receiver is.
http://boardgamegeek.com/article/2513360#2513360

This is taken from the New Rules Index that is in the Important Threads on this sub forum.

Si Vis Pacem, para bellum.
Tulta munille
08-23-2013, 03:55 PM
Wow thanks a lot everybody for the great opinions! Thanks fitzgrimm for the answer provided straight from the man himself. I'm glad we played it out correctly because it was a very climactic moment in game.