Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Cell - Stephen King
02-27-2009, 08:21 AM
Cell - Stephen King
I picked up this one today. I haven't started reading in it though, got to finish World War Z first Watchmen02

I am the reason God stopped watching.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-27-2009, 12:02 PM
RE: Cell - Stephen King
I read it last year and then I lent it to my friend who obviously has no respect for how to treat books (or other people's property), but I digress. I really liked it up until the end. That seems to be King's M.O. anyhow: write an amazingly captivating story and give the most disappointing ending you could imagine. Ok, that's a bit extreme. It's really not that bad of an ending, but it didn't satisfy me. Still, the road to the end was worth it.
Find all posts by this user
02-27-2009, 12:31 PM
Don't get me started on King's endings!All those
years & books in his Dark Tower Series to end in a total
cop-out ending.

King hasn't had a decent ending since the Strand
(thanks to HP Lovecraft)

OD

Sighing like the night wind and sobbing like the rain,—
Wailing for the lost one that comes not again:
02-27-2009, 01:08 PM
Yeah, the ending to The Dark Tower broke my heart. Actually, the final ending itself wasn't so bad. It kept in line with the themes of the saga. The only problem was the rest of the book was a complete rush job. Every major plot point I followed for the first six books were brushed aside in cheap, anticlimactic ways. I think the absolute end was the only good thing about that book and it was not a fitting conclusion to the first six volumes.
02-27-2009, 05:13 PM
I agree....he builds great characters, great suspense, and then can't seem to finish strong.

It's like....hmmm.....how about a giant spiritual turtle to kill the bad guy?
02-28-2009, 12:57 AM
True n107 King just rushed through The Dark Tower about half way through I began to feel cheated knowing he could never reslove all the plot line in the pages he had left.

The ending though was a rip a direct steal from The Worm Ouroboros (1922) a novel by Eric Rücker Eddison. Eddison at least finished his tale 1 one volume King led us on & on
& then just bailed out.I really think King just grew tired of the damn thing, the earlier novels in the series are much better than the last ones.He took the money & ranInsane19

OD

Sighing like the night wind and sobbing like the rain,—
Wailing for the lost one that comes not again:
02-28-2009, 01:28 AM
I'm going to make a thread about The Dark Tower in the off-topic section if nobody minds. There's a lot of stuff I'd like to discuss and have never been able to do so because none of my friends will read it. Plus this thread is about Cell and I don't want to derail it even further.
03-10-2009, 08:27 PM
thank you n107 Watchmen02

I started reading in Cell and I must say I enjoy it. Knowing King kinda rolls over on ending is not going to stop me from reeading though, it has a nice familiar suspense in it. I keep asking myself what I would do in the situations that happen all the time Watchmen02

I am the reason God stopped watching.
02-07-2011, 02:08 AM
Do you think someone like Stephen King would ever write a scenario for LNoE? I always thought it would be cool if an author wrote a scenario... I know it might cost a lot, unless he just happens to play LNoE and would consider it fun to do it for free, or discount.... Who knows... Maybe he is even on this forum under an alias...
02-10-2011, 03:26 AM
Maybe I'm alone in this, but I really liked the ending. I found he left it open to the reader's imagination to fill in the blanks. And with my extremely twisted mind, I had a good chuckle at what I thought it should be.

[img]http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2011/044/a/b/ab57ead96545f9f083422696827cf192-d39i2v4.png[/img]