Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Character Painting Guide Part 2 Kenny and Rachelle
11-29-2010, 11:18 PM (This post was last modified: 12-02-2013 01:42 AM by samuraitrev.)
Character Painting Guide Part 2 Kenny and Rachelle
Hi Sam here again now the fun begins! I find the preperation and basic colours a bit of a drag. The models will really start coming alive in the next few stages. Remember The timings are for TWO models, halve it for a single model.

Stage 7 : (10 mins. to shade + 5 mins. to dry) SHADING.
Washes used 4.
Here I use GW washes they are basically for lazy guys like me who can't be bothered to darken thier basic colour and water it down. Add a small amount of wash or watered down paint (which is darker than your basic paint you used, to water down paint use 2 parts water one part paint. An easier way to do it is use a pipette two drops of water and one standard paintbrush of paint) The wash or watered down paint should run into all the crevices giving an almost instantaneous illusion of depth. DO NOT use two different inks next to each other. They will mix together and cause mayhem. Leave to dry should take about 5 mins under your lamp or in sunlight (always better for painting).

Kenny:- Face:Ogryn Flesh, Hair and Shirt:Devlan Mud, Trousers and Apron:Asurmen Blue, Cans:Badab Black

Rachelle:-Face, Hair, Gun Stock and Shirt:Devlan Mud, Body Armour and Trousers:Asurmen Blue, Shotgun:Badab Black.

Stage 8 : (1hr 5 mins) HIGHLIGHTING
Highlight paints used 10
Ok now time to dramatically highlight your figures. Look at your hand, there will be darker areas between your fingers and light should catch on your nails/knuckles/talons etc. We have completed the illusion of shade in stage 7. We are now going to recreate the light areas on your figure(s). Using two methods layering and drybrushing there are others but for now have a go at these.
The first technique is the Layering Technique. Use this method sparingly. Use either your basic colour mixed with a brighter colour (try a 50/50 mix). Or a different colour close(but slightly brighter) than the basic colour, this depends on how many paints you have. Paint your colour or mixed colour on the highpoints of the model for example the top ridge of the fingers the raised folds of materials. For faces The Brow, Ridge of the nose, Cheekbones, point of the chin, and top part above the top lip. REMEMBER don't cover large areas or you are just canceling the wash stage and going back to the basic stage!

Another technique is called Drybrushing. This produces Fast effective highlights especially on areas such as hair and fur. There are highlighting brushes available but you can just use an old brush. Don't use your best brush it will ruin it fast! Ok put The colour you wish to use on your brush and wipe most of it off on some tissue paper (I always use the back of my hand, bad habit) and wipe off the paint until you can't see any streaks being applied. Now wipe the brush gently over the area you should see after a while the raised area becoming highlighted.

Before you begin mixing paints note that Kenny and Rachelle have matching colours used on them so there should be no need to mix the same paints twice.

Kenny:- Face: 1st Dwalf Flesh and Elf Flesh 50/50, 2nd Elf flesh, Hair: Desert Yellow (drybrushed), Shirt: 1st Dheneb Stone, 2nd Skull White, Trousers: Shadow Grey and Fenris Grey 50/50, 2nd add Spacewolves Grey to the mix, Apron: add Spacewolves Grey to the mix again, Cans: Chainmail.

Rachelle:- Face:Vermin Brown, Hair: Calthan Brown (Drybrushed), Gun Stock: Calthan Brown, Shirt:1st Dheneb Stone, 2nd Skull White, Body Armour and Trousers:Shadow Grey and Fenris Grey 50/50, 2nd add Spacewolves Grey to the mix, Shotgun:Chainmail

Know when to stop when highlighting.
Avoid using white as a mixer for your highlights as often they tend to look 'chalky'

Stage 9 (10 mins) FINE DETAIL This stage is for Eyes, lips, buttons and jewelry (and writing dog food on cans) it is probably the most dangerous stage your perfectly shaded figure can instantly transform into a 100 yard starring clown in an instant! It is perfectly fine to miss eyeballs out but if you can't do without em go in carefully with the sallest brush you've got and make a wish, just kiddin. I find drawing a thin line across where the eye should be usually works best for me then the smallest pin prick for the pupil in the centre. Be brave.

There is no secret to painting all it takes is patience and practice oh yeah and paints. Soon to Follow an article how to make good looking bases.

Your comments/questions are always welcome
Cheers Sam

Attached File(s) Image(s)

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-30-2010, 06:20 AM
RE: Character Painting Guide Part 2
Now get started on that zombietutorial Watchmen02
Excellent job here. Like you said, the eyes are crucial Watchmen02
I had my figs come out looking like they had a rough night in The Slaughtered Lamb Tavern Zombie03
But after a while and lots of crooked eyes you get the hang of it.

I am the reason God stopped watching.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-30-2010, 12:24 PM
Very Nice,eyes the Windows of the Soul & painting bane.Thats one thing I like about doing 10mm & 6mm figs,you usually don't have
to worry about them.

OD

Sighing like the night wind and sobbing like the rain,—
Wailing for the lost one that comes not again:
11-30-2010, 11:16 PM
If you are really struggling with the eyes, you can 'cheat' a bit, by painting them white, then use a very fine point permanant marker to 'dot' the eye.

Great guide Sam. Much appreciated.

Zalgo....he comes.
12-01-2010, 12:37 PM
(11-30-2010 11:16 PM)supervike Wrote:  If you are really struggling with the eyes, you can 'cheat' a bit, by painting them white, then use a very fine point permanant marker to 'dot' the eye.

Great guide Sam. Much appreciated.

Good tip there vike. I've heard about that but never tried it. I may well invest in a mini marker...
12-08-2010, 08:59 AM
Very nice tutorial! Thanks for posting.
12-08-2010, 09:20 AM
Another trick for the eyes is doing them the way around.
Black them out and then add two dots of white on either side.
But I found that equally hard as dotting the one black piece Watchmen02

The marker works fine. Only problem is that you need to find one with permanent ink. I did that long time ago on my bloodbowl undead team and after a couple of plays the pupils were gone Zombie17

I am the reason God stopped watching.
01-23-2011, 11:25 PM (This post was last modified: 01-23-2011 11:35 PM by robottroubles.)
Awesome, I've been lurking and loving these tutorials and pics of yours, Trev. I'm just getting started painting miniatures for the first time. Do you have the colors you used for the other Heros written out? I'd love to have them as sort of a 'shopping list' when I go pick up more paint.

Thanks!
01-24-2011, 03:50 PM
(01-23-2011 11:25 PM)robottroubles Wrote:  Awesome, I've been lurking and loving these tutorials and pics of yours, Trev. I'm just getting started painting miniatures for the first time. Do you have the colors you used for the other Heros written out? I'd love to have them as sort of a 'shopping list' when I go pick up more paint.

Thanks!

Hi Robot, Sorry I haven't written a list of paints for the other heroes. If I were you I'd slowly build up your paint set getting a few when ever you can afford it. My painted heroes are here http://www.thezombiegame.com/gallery/thu...?album=25. If you have any questions on effects used on certain characters I will be happy to help.Watchmen02
Thanks for your comments
09-14-2012, 02:13 AM
These look awesome! Great job