Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Character Painting Guide Pt1 (Kenny + Rachelle)
01-12-2011, 07:00 PM
RE: Character Painting Guide Pt1
(01-11-2011 09:57 PM)Wade Wrote:  Are you using anything special for the base coat?
I've painted small (1:34 scale) plastic models before, and I've always just used the old Testors paints. You think they would be adequet for the LNOE type plastics?

I am currently painting the LNOE minis with these same Testors paints. I used these years ago to paint my hard plastic Heroquest figs, so I think they are OK. I am using a special plastic primer first. I finished Billy, but the varnishing got messed up and he looks a little weird (encased in carbonite?). I am about 90% done with Becky and Father Joe, and will post pics and a little journal with them.

The biggest challenge I am having is the "wash" step. Testors are enamel, so you have to use thinner to make your wash. This tends to thin the paint you already applied if you work one area too long.

Also, try to get matte (flat) colors if you can. I was using paints from years ago, and didn't realize my blue was gloss (I rarely buy gloss). Now billy has shiny jeans! That is why I started with Billy, for practice. He doesn't get much play in our games!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-13-2011, 01:27 AM
RE: Character Painting Guide Pt1
Thanks for the heads up!
Most of my paints are flat as I was doing a lot of military tank models a few years ago.
09-14-2012, 02:11 AM
RE: Character Painting Guide Pt1 (Kenny + Rachelle)
Canit wait to paint mine.
09-15-2012, 09:08 AM
RE: Character Painting Guide Pt1 (Kenny + Rachelle)
(09-14-2012 02:11 AM)harlemsushi Wrote:  Canit wait to paint mine.

When you do. Post some pictures on here. I'd like to see 'em.