Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Character creation question
03-18-2013, 08:21 PM
Character creation question
So I'm slowing coming up with ideas for characters based around my friends and I. My one friend is about 6'4 and plays every sport known to man, anyway my idea for his ability would be something like "Long Reach - May use a hand weapon as a ranged weapon w/ a range of 1. "

I figure this will be an extremely powerful ability but also a useless one if he is not in possession of a hand weapon.

Any thoughts or ideas on how to make this more balanced or better for the game?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-18-2013, 08:28 PM
RE: Character creation question
Well, you'd also have to come up with the mechanics as to how does he use it as a ranged weapon? In other words, most of the hand weapons do stuff like adding fight dice, or allowing you to re-roll... Stuff like that. In other words, they don't have any effect unless you are fighting a zombie.

Whereas, ranged weapons say things like "Kills a zombie on a roll of 4+." See what I mean? So, that would be one thing you'd have to figure out. But, it definitely sounds like a cool idea! I like picturing that thematically. He is just so tall that he can reach a little further. LOL!
03-19-2013, 01:49 AM
There's already a weapon that can attack a Zombie in an adjacent space. The Fence Post, during the Hero's move action. Personally I'm not a fan of the Long Reach idea. I still think it would be over powered, with all hand weapons. Why not just give him Jenny's Handy ability and 1 of Johnny's?

Or
If you still really want him to be able to attack in adjacent spaces you could make up a long Hand Weapon. Something like a spear, or Javalin... breaks on a 1 or 2.

Hope this helps. I look forward to seeing what you come up withWatchmen02
03-19-2013, 09:07 PM
I like the idea of long range since it adds some special flavor when you put your friend on the board. Like Sam however I think in it's raw form it's way overpowered, but I'd suggest you add some 'bad stuff' to the deal. How about increasing the risk of losing the hand weapon if used for long ranges such as having to pass the break test twice when rolling to see if the weapon breaks... Those zombies are not to be trusted; when you attack from another space, all they can do to fight back is trying to grab your weapon...

"It's the smell... it's driving them CRAZY!"
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-19-2013, 10:17 PM
I do like the increased risk of losing the weapon. I wasn't thinking of letting him use the long reach in combination with whatever that particular weapons combat bonus was. It was just going to be a requirement for using the ability. Something like

"May attack a zombie in an adjacent space during the ranged weapon phase as long as he has a hand weapon. Kills on a roll of 4 plus -Weapon is broken on a roll of 1 or 2.

Or maybe even " Kills on a roll of 3+. Weapon is stolen by the zombie on a roll of 1 or 2. Allowing the zombie to use its combat bonus if stolen.

very big chance of a dead zombie or a zombie with meat cleaver. That may just get too ridiculous though. Leaning more towards the 1st one.
03-19-2013, 10:24 PM (This post was last modified: 03-19-2013 10:26 PM by alderdust.)
How about

Long Reach: May discard an item and choose to attack a zombie in an adjacent space (range: 1)
03-19-2013, 10:50 PM
(03-19-2013 10:24 PM)alderdust Wrote:  How about

Long Reach: May discard an item and choose to attack a zombie in an adjacent space (range: 1)

Hmm I do like that. That may be the winner.