Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Cheap and Easy Way To Create Custom Hero and Zombie Cards (Anyone can do this)
03-01-2014, 08:39 PM (This post was last modified: 03-02-2014 06:10 PM by curtismsimcox.)
Wink Cheap and Easy Way To Create Custom Hero and Zombie Cards (Anyone can do this)
Cheap and Easy way to create custom Hero and Zombie Cards.

First Download a Card Template from the Downloads section or from another source on the web. (For quick reference I have included the two I use in this post).

If you do not have Photoshop or don't want to worry about trying to learn all of its intricacies (not that its too terribly hard to learn), open your file in Microsoft Paint.

From here, you will want to expand your border out just a bit to give you some room to place another picture next to it. This picture will be the one you will crop/resize to fit over the picture box.

Now go onto the internet and find your picture you want to use and right click and Copy Image. Now go back to paint and paste it. Move the picture over to the side of the card as not to block it at all. Click off of the picture. You can now use the selector tool to grab the part of the picture you want. Resize it appropriately and drag it over the picture box then click off of it when your done. You can now zoom out and adjust your borders to cover up the other image by dragging the little box by the dark grey borders. Only have the card highlighted.

Remember if you mess anything up, just hit the Undo button. Also at this point I usually "Save As" my work and title it something different as to not save over my template by accident.

Next you will want to put in your text. For my purposes I just chose fonts that I thought looked good, but there is more info out there on the exact fonts to use and sizing.

The fonts I used for my cards are as followed:
Title: Berlin Sans FB Demi- White text-Bold-Italic-10 Font
Description (Item or Weapon)- Calibri- Light Grey-text- Bold Italic- 8 Font
Card Abilities Section- Cambria- Black text- Italic- font is up to you to fit.

To enter text boxes, just hit the A button at the top of the Paint program screen and click anywhere on your image. Again you can resize it and play around with it to get it in the right place. When your completely finished making your text however you want it, simply click off of the text box.

You should have a completed card at this time, congratulations! :-)

Now here is what I did with my cards to incorporate them on a budget into my game.

I placed the card images into Microsoft Word, then right clicked and hit Size. I changed the format with the correct card sizing (Height 3.5", Width 2.5"). I changed my format to Custom Margins and Landscape so that I could fit 8 cards on 1 sheet. Then print out with a color printer, and cutting them out.

I then bought some Pro Fit Card protectors (100 Black and another 100 Green) This cost about $10. I then slip in a regular poker card and place my paper card cut out over that.

Hope this helps and if you have any questions feel free to ask. Please see attachments of my work.

Just another attachment to show a finished card I did earlier.

Attached File(s) Image(s)

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-18-2014, 04:19 PM
RE: Cheap and Easy Way To Create Custom Hero and Zombie Cards (Anyone can do this)
Cool, thanks! Card protectors? Is that how most people do custom cards? I saw so many card posts, I wasn't sure how people were getting it done.

For the mostlpart, I'm happy with the official cards, there's plenty of them! Although, if I end up inserting my custom character profile and mini (Hellboy), then I might want his Samaritan as a weapon in the deck.
03-19-2014, 08:16 PM
RE: Cheap and Easy Way To Create Custom Hero and Zombie Cards (Anyone can do this)
Thanks for this helpful guide. +1 rep posted
03-20-2014, 02:46 PM
deffinately a easy way to do it!