Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Choosing a Console
10-15-2014, 01:53 PM
Choosing a Console
Hey fellas and ladies. I enjoy games a lot. (obviously)

but it has been a while since I was last actively monitoring the video game circuit, if it can be called such.

I got married, got a real job, had a kid and am waiting for the second to arrive later this month.

So life is good! I've kept on playing board games because it's a lot more social but I haven't been playing video games since the later days of the Xbox360. I was last really big into Call of Duty Black Ops 2 and Minecraft before rearranging my priorities for about 2 years.

Anyway, in the meantime, I have not kept up on anything related to video games. I was thinking about jumping back in and picking up a new console this coming Winter or maybe early next spring depending on my schedule but I have no idea on how to make a choice. I googled Xbox vs PS4 but it only brought up ancient launch related articles which don't really have any impact on decision making on what to buy a year + later.

So do you all have any advice? -
  • How do the two system's online networks compare?
  • From a Hardware perspective how do the two systems compare?
  • From a software (games) perspective how do they match up?
  • Any personal preferences? please mention them!
  • From experienced gamers, are the new systems worth picking up compared to a portable system like the PSP or Gameboy or the current Nintendo system, or even the old Xbox360 again
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-15-2014, 03:00 PM (This post was last modified: 10-15-2014 03:15 PM by mqstout.)
RE: Choosing a Console
Your best choice: A nice Windows box. Your library will never become obsolete again, and the games only get better with age through mods and fan patches. Watchmen02

Not sure if you want to migrate away from a console? http://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/wiki/guide
A specific parts list I'd recommend to enter with: http://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/wik...en_crusher

As for if you absolutely MUST SELECT between "PS4" and "Xbox One", the markets have shown the the PS4 performing much, much better.

If you truly insist on a console and not a PC? I'd recommend getting/keeping (you imply you have a 360) a PS3 or Xbox 360 (Your choice! Pick out a few games and see which platform's they're for/if any are exclusive) and live a "generation" behind. It'll be far, far cheaper (especially since you can get the games used), and it's really about the *games* isn't it? By the time you're caught up on them, the prices on the "newer" generation will have dropped more.

The PS4 and Xbox One are trivially improved over the PS3 and Xbox 360.

Also, don't forget About the Wii/WiiU. Some nice titles there, that are more exclusive (ie, not on PC). Wii also plays GameCube titles; WiiU also plays Wii titles (but not GameCube).
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-18-2014, 09:19 PM
I neglected to reply to this earlier but I did read it and combed over the Reddit article you posted. Thanks mate. I no longer have a game system of my own. Gave it to my brother in law a couple Christmas's back. I think all of your suggestions are really right up my ally. I was just sort of assuming when the time came I would buy a console because that's what I've always done before. I prefer controllers and a lot of things that go with consoles but things have changed a lot... myself included. I would probably really enjoy fiddling around and making my own computer system to game on this time around. The really big reason I ever even bought a 360 was to keep up with my friends to play Halo and CoD and stuff with them online after I moved out of state. I don't really have that motivation this time around.

Thanks for the great feedback and suggestions. Really gives me a lot to mull over.....
10-19-2014, 01:43 AM (This post was last modified: 10-19-2014 01:44 AM by mqstout.)
Glad to help! Wired (not wireless) 360 controllers work great in Windows. And if you really do want a console in your living room, pick up a used 360.
04-23-2015, 01:05 AM
6 Months later (I got a used 360 btw) I have decided to ascend to the PC master race. Thanks for linking me to those reddits mqstout! You not only stopped me from buying a Ps4/Xbox1 but you put me on the track to making the decision to build my own computer. THANKS~! I still have a fair amount of research to do before I start purchasing parts but I've made the decision to go PC and have already started taking steps in that direction.
04-23-2015, 02:47 AM
You're welcome! Let me know when you're up and running and I'll shoot you some spare GOG games I have around.