Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Apocalypse!
03-03-2013, 05:22 PM
Apocalypse!
So my copy of Apocalypse arrived last night. I obviously haven't had a chance to play through yet, but I've looked through the box and have a few thoughts.

First of all, there are now board setups for 5 or 6 players, with additional board segments to allow for this, and additional playing pieces in orange and purple.

There is a new deck: Coastal Resistance. Some of the new locations require you to draw Coastal Resistance instead of basic Resistance cards, and some locations can require you to draw from either one. Some Coastal Resistance cards (and corresponding tokens) are only damaged when defeated; they must be defeated a second time before they are destroyed. And yes, Captain Hero is indeed in the Coastal Resistance, too. (And there's a second copy of him in the main Resistance deck now, with special rules if you're unlucky enough to draw him multiple times in the same fight.)

The aliens have a new ability: they can land their saucer (effectively destroying it and returning it to your pool) in a 0-population, 0-resistance area, creating a terror factory. This can only happen once per board segment. This factory can be destroyed or conquered by other aliens if it is left unguarded, however.

The four new alien races are a great deal of fun. I am particularly happy with the Martians from IFOS, but all four appear very playable, with a fun and creative backstory in the rulebook.

The new allies in the Space Stuff deck are quite fun. There's a seductive spacequeen, a beast-riding taskdriver, a warlord in a tank, and the terrifying Apocalypse Cube, which moves very slowly, but definitely lives up to its name. The other Space Stuff is worthwhile, too, but the allies, as before, are the best part of the deck.

For those playing cooperatively (as we tend to do in our household), there's new Human tech, as well.

As an added unexpected joy, my copy came with an additional small supplement which I had not heard anything about. This supplement featured a new playable race (a weak-bodied, weak-minded race with a surprisingly fast reproductive rate and the ability to swarm unexpectedly -- they seem like they'd be a lot of fun to play), new event cards relating to the new race, one new location (a National Park, which can become a landing zone when conquered), new Resistance cards (the National Guard and a Well-Armed Redneck hero), and one new Space Stuff card (brain leeches!).

Overall, I am extremely pleased by this expansion. While not my favorite of the Flying Frog games, I enjoy COPE a great deal because it can play so much more quickly than the other Flying Frog games (with the average game lasting about an hour, max), but I was occasionally frustrated when we had 5 or 6 people interested in playing a game. The new choices for alien races -- particularly with the unexpected supplement -- bring a lot of fun options to the game, and the expansions to the existing decks add some new variety and spice, without bogging down the game at all. While I haven't played with the new expansion yet, I'm definitely looking forward to painting up the figures and cracking into the game again.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-03-2013, 05:28 PM
RE: Apocalypse!
I can't wait to play the race that can pay to swap between strength and intelligence.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-03-2013, 06:43 PM
Conquest of Planet Earth has surprisingly become our household's favorite of the Flying Frog games.

Thank you for the initial impressions, gavindowning. If I may ask, were you a Gencon pre-order, or did you go through the Frog's web store?
03-03-2013, 08:20 PM
Is this a standalone, or do you need a base game to add on to? I've been interested in this for awhile but haven't mustered the funds for it yet.

I'm not dead. I'm electroencephalographically challenged...
03-04-2013, 12:42 AM
It's not standalone. I was a Gencon preorder.
03-04-2013, 06:56 PM
Mine was not a Gencon preorder; I ordered it through the website shortly after the preorders went live.
03-09-2013, 05:59 PM
Our copy of Apocalypse arrived on Thursday - with the same bonuses gavindowning reported. I greatly appreciate the quickness of delivery and the surprise alien race, but I wish they had packed it better. They slid the game box into the shipping box, placed the bonus materials in the space available (the smaller bits nicely taped to the game box), then topped it off with a grand total of 7 packing peanuts. Yes, I counted. On the bright side, it didn't take long to do so.

Because the red promo allies had a lot of movement room, the Apocalypse Cube got slightly chipped and the flying palace is dangerously bent at its thinnest point. It is no big deal, but when you consider I paid over 50% of the price of product in shipping alone, it leaves a slightly bitter taste.

Last night the wife and I got a couple of games in; her Sirens vs. my Fishmen. That may read lewder than I wish, but it was... well, fun.

I'll start off by saying I had some pretty bad luck of the draws and dice rolling, but those Sirens _________________ !! (expletives deleted)

In a two player game, the Fishmen stood no chance whatsoever against those hussies of the sea. The sea dweller bonus is nice. The musk has the potential to be vile. But when you add in that Siren's Call? _______ ____ _______________________ !! (many expletives deleted)

Seriously, the expansion is fabulous. For fans of the base, I believe Apocalypse is going to be a must have.

It takes a brutal screw thy neighbor game and amps it to eleven. It is the first game where my wife actually felt guilty taking my cards away.

Every.
Single.
Turn.

__________ !!!!
11-09-2013, 12:22 AM
Got my copy of Apocalypse two days ago. So far I only played two solo-games, but they were great fun. The coastal resistance can be a real pain in the a**, and the new alien races and space stuff rock. I love it! Watchmen02
11-09-2013, 05:26 AM
I really enjoy this expansion and cope had become one of our favorities. Still need to come up with a variant to driver players to the center board in the co-op game though.