Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Combining Scenarios
07-30-2013, 09:14 PM
Combining Scenarios
While I was thinking about board gaming in general and LNOE/IFOS specifically, I realized that most scenarios center on one side. What I mean is, the scenarios that came with the game either have the Heroes going after a specific goal as their win condition and the Zombies have to stop them, or vice versa.

And then I thought - what if I combined two scenarios so that each side had their own goal? It's complicated, sure, but doesn't that bring something really new to the game? An example would be combining Escape in the Truck and Defend the Manor - while looking for the Gasoline and Keys, the Heroes also have to prevent the Zombies from entering the Manor. So the game becomes less of Team A trying to achieve a goal and Team B trying to stop Team A, and more of both teams trying to achieve something while hindering the other team.

What do you guys think? It's a simple variant that doesn't involve much tinkering to the game engine that, in my opinion, changes the game experience a lot.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-04-2013, 03:45 AM
RE: Combining Scenarios
Actually, that sounds really confusing.... but in a really intriguing kind of way. It sounds like that could actually be a lot of fun. You'd have to play a little strategically there. The heroes would have to maybe split up into two teams... one team to try to find the gas and keys, the other to hold off the zombies.

Likewise, the zombie player or players might be tempted to just try to get into the Manor House, but then they might be leaving the other team to finish up with their goal. You could maybe have the truck still be in the Manor House (one of the rooms could instead be a "garage") or at least near it. Otherwise, if you put it somewhere else since the Manor House would be in the center, that would just complicate things even further.

I think it would definitely not be something you'd want to do EVERY time, but it could be a lot of fun to do now and then.

Makes you think.... what are some other scenarios that would make good pairs to create a larger scenario?
Find all posts by this user
08-04-2013, 07:16 AM
I am looking in to making a three way scenario for zombies vs martians vs heroes giving each team their own objectives. I think it well work with out a problem but, let me know what you experience.

Si Vis Pacem, para bellum.
Tulta munille
08-05-2013, 03:46 AM
(08-04-2013 03:45 AM)StayPuft Wrote:  I think it would definitely not be something you'd want to do EVERY time, but it could be a lot of fun to do now and then.

Yeah, exactly what I'm thinking - it's a way of spicing things up for LNOE vets who can say they've really figured out what to do on certain scenarios.

(08-04-2013 07:16 AM)fitzgrimm Wrote:  I am looking in to making a three way scenario for zombies vs martians vs heroes giving each team their own objectives. I think it well work with out a problem but, let me know what you experience.

A little off topic, but let me give you an idea: Zombies need to kill off 3 Heroes to win, Martians need to kill off 3 Heroes to win, Heroes just need to not lose until the end of the game. 20 turn limit. So as one monster side (e.g. the Zombies) is getting closer to their goal, the other side (e.g. the Martians) will start trying to fight the winning side just to stop them from winning.

If you want something a little more advanced, use the Abduction IFOS scenario concept. Martians need to abduct 3 Allies/Townsfolk, Zombies need to consume 4 Allies/Townsfolk, Heroes need to stop both until time runs out. I forsee total chaos as three sides keep the rest from winning.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-10-2013, 06:16 AM
For my scenario I am thinking of using the abduction idea but giving all three factions a different spot they need to take the allies/townsfolk. That way when one group starts moving them one way the other groups well try to stop them. I am thinking of having 10 allies/townsfolk and a faction needs to get 5 to win, or have the most at the end of the game. I think that if I have it last 20 turns that should give lots of time for the sides to fight it out. Now I need to figure out the dots. I want to use all the zombies, I can even out the dots for the heroes but don't know what to do with the martians. Now they need to release an expansion for IFOS so I have more martian dots to play with.

Si Vis Pacem, para bellum.
Tulta munille